TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Bionic Woman -- "Faceoff" -- 10/17/07

Old 10-17-07, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Bionic Woman -- "Faceoff" -- 10/17/07

"Faceoff"
Spoiler:
Jaime is sent on an assignment that requires her to rescue an American doctor who is working in Paraguay. While there, she discovers the truth about her life expectancy.

First Aired: Wednesday October 17, 2007
Old 10-17-07, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hooray for finally incorporating their own spin for the sound of bionics in action.

I like how Jaime's morals supercede any mission directive that would lead to murdering a potential leak on bionics or sensitive data. There's something entertaining about seeing Isaiah Washington getting his ass handed to him on a weekly basis. Also, Jaime needs some mission training because "flying by the seat of her pants" is not really ideal if Berkut wants to maintain their $50 million investment. I do like how they show Jaime stumbling in her missions because she is inexperienced and has to find out who she can truly trust as well.

So they've introduce a ticking clock to Jaime's useful bionics life for the time being, with the cure being tied to Sarah and Andros, and Will's R&D on the flash drive.

The home life stuff is at least kept to a minimum, so the annoyance threshhold hasn't quite been reached for me.
Old 10-17-07, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I, personally, have dropped the show. While I enjoy the fact that they are portraying Jamie as someone who is not easily pushed over and taken for granted (i.e. a fairly strong woman), it simply cannot overcome the level of writing this show currently has.

Maybe if I didn't already have twenty-two hours of television I am currently watching per week, or if I were more easily entertained, but there's something missing from "Woman" for me.

Goodbye Jamie... We'll always have Lindsay Wagner.
Old 10-18-07, 05:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Man, that Corvis character and the actress are both really growing on me. Even if Corvis is a crazed animal I can't help but feel for her.

I guess to justify hiring Washington they have to have him get his ass kicked every week.
Old 10-18-07, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scene near the end with Sarah talking to some random dude in a bar had a cover of Tori Amos' Cornflake Girl playing in the background (if anyone cares).
Old 10-18-07, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I do!

Old 10-18-07, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can see why she let that guy go, but why in the hell did she give him the flash drive to hold? STUPID!!!
Old 10-18-07, 11:32 AM

Wow....this show really sucks.

Its now off my watch list!
Old 10-18-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I guess to justify hiring Washington they have to have him get his ass kicked every week.
Yeah, I'm sure it works like this:

Director: OK, Isaiah, please stand right there.
Isaiah: Ah, so this is where I play the evil supervillain that gets nominted an emmy?
Director: Um, no. This is just where the young lady slams you against the wall and throws you across the room.
Isaiah: (sighs) A brother gotta eat.

I thought this was better than last week's episode. The Anthros character is good but they should have his tone lighten up sometimes. The sister is a good character but I'd like to see her help Jaime get out of some trouble.
Old 10-18-07, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I thought NBC was promoting Wednesday's as "Bionic Wednesday"? Didn't see any such advertising for it this week. Wonder what happened?

I won't be sad if this show gets cancelled.
Old 10-21-07, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Jamie can see fingerprints? Gimme a break. And the guy she rescued figured out the alarm code in one guess because it had the highest probability? Yeah, right. Who's writing this stuff?

At the end of the mission, Jamie left Isaiah Washington behind and he was surrounded by the enemy, right? So is that the end of Isaiah or was he working in cahoots with the enemy the whole time? How else could he escape on his own?

Why does Jamie's bionic strength seem to come and go? When the bad guys stormed the little room where the hostage was trying to decipher the flash drive, Jamie started throwing punches. How come the bad guys didn't go flying through walls and such? Why would Jamie hold back knowing she could be killed at any moment? Makes no sense.
Old 10-21-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Has it been 5 years yet?
Old 10-21-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Jamie can see fingerprints? Gimme a break. And the guy she rescued figured out the alarm code in one guess because it had the highest probability? Yeah, right. Who's writing this stuff?

At the end of the mission, Jamie left Isaiah Washington behind and he was surrounded by the enemy, right? So is that the end of Isaiah or was he working in cahoots with the enemy the whole time? How else could he escape on his own?

Why does Jamie's bionic strength seem to come and go? When the bad guys stormed the little room where the hostage was trying to decipher the flash drive, Jamie started throwing punches. How come the bad guys didn't go flying through walls and such? Why would Jamie hold back knowing she could be killed at any moment? Makes no sense.
I think she was seeing the differences between the keys not finger prints. You know like the oil build up on the touched keys.

I have no idea how Isaiah got out. That was a big freaking hole.

Jamie doesn't have full bionics so some of her attacks are at normal girl strength. Her battle program doesn't take this into account when she is fighting.
Old 10-21-07, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
I've seen that same trick done in Batman cartoons...but i can totally see Batman doing it.

Again, it was just an excuse to make Isiah look bad so people don't give them shit for hiring him.

Good point. But remember, she's still trying not to be a total Military Hardass even when she should be. I agreed with Isiah, they probably shoulda shot that Doctor or at least arrested him. But she's still, the Hippy College drop out who wants to try things "the nice way" first and look what happened.

Also, don't forget she only has 1 bionic arm and she's still learning how to fight in general, and fight using bionics in particular. Of course this once again points out why she needs to lose the party girl level 3 powered non-bionic arm. It's a gimp arm at this point and if she's gonna be fighting militias, pro-soldiers, and hot upgraded Bionic psycho bitches it's no good.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-21-07 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-21-07, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
I think she was seeing the differences between the keys not finger prints. You know like the oil build up on the touched keys.
Correct. Like i said, it's been done before in other movies and cartoons. She's seeing the body oil smudges on the frequently pressed keys. The Doctor deduced the possible number combos based on the number of keys she saw with oil. It think he said it was 24 or something like that.
Old 10-21-07, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It was 24 because it was 4! (4x3x2x1) for the total number of 4-coded combos. The guy just guessed on backwards pattern for the 4 numbers Jaime uncovered.
Old 10-22-07, 02:33 AM

When oh when will this be cancelled. Its amazing its still on. If I had any sense I woulda pulled the plug on this the eve the second episode ran.

Prime problem is the casting and the dialog. A fan forum said that India's Aishwarya Rai was the first choice to play the lead in this series before she backed out. Now THAT woulda been a superb Bionic Woman, but this current actress is just plain disgusting. I mean, I find her bloated in some scenes, and pretty in others, but she is not, by any stretch of the imagination a good actress. I remember seeing her once in some BBC adaptation (shes British I hear) and she wasnt good in that either.

Truth be told, I think they should just let this go while they can. TV should concentrate on investing in shows with potential. Such as 'Invasion' (one of the greats of 05 that went too soon) and 'Jericho'.

Bionic Woman is an insult to our collective intelligence. It already looks dated.
Old 10-22-07, 02:37 AM

Why doesn't Jaime leave big holes in the chest of the bad guys when she kicks them across the room? She's always wearing heels that seem unbreakable even when she takes 50 foot jumps so they should be good enough to kill people easily when you've got bionic legs.
Old 10-22-07, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Buckleyesque
When oh when will this be cancelled. Its amazing...blah, it sucks, blah...Bionic Woman is an insult to our collective intelligence. It already looks dated.
I don't have a problem with differing, negative opinions (look to my own attempt at snark above), but as of this moment, this is the second negative post you've made that i've come across (the other was about Bjork) and you've also started a negative thread (about Tori Amos).

This would lead me to conclude that you've had a bad weekend. Or that you're an Indians fan..
Old 10-22-07, 07:43 AM

Mere coincidence I think. Yesterday was a media day where I realized I didnt really like much of what was in my collection. And as for the comment on Bjork, I REALLY THINK she has to quite while shes ahead. Most of these useless women left behind their creative talent in the 90s.
Old 10-22-07, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
I think this show is actually pretty good, as long as you take it with a grain of salt. The show is what it is and I am not expecting some classic show, but it tries to establish a relationship between Jaime and her sister, and shows the bad side of bionics with Sarah. Not great, but not bad, I'll keep watching.
Old 10-22-07, 07:57 AM

I think we need to grasp that the actress playing the lead role is woefully miscast. She looks like a deer in the headlights most of the time, and thats a compliment.

They should scrap this and make a TV series out of 'Supergirl' instead.
Old 10-22-07, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Q: Why doesn't Jamie kick guys around the room every time she kicks and punch holes in chests every time she punches?

A: It's a TV show. They can't do wire work and effects EVERY fight. The budget would be too high.

So, the writers assume the viewer will just fill in the blanks eg. Jaime is pulling her punches because she doesn't want to kill, only incapacitate, etc.

Last edited by cornflakeguy; 10-22-07 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-22-07, 08:52 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I too am surprised this is still on primetime network TV.

The writing and acting are soo bad that I thought this would be pulled and thrown on one of the sister cable channels.
Old 10-22-07, 09:11 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
I think the show is improving each week, which is why I still tune in. It has potential.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.