Reload this Page >

Tim Schafer's new game: Brutal Legend

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-16-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone check out the newest game informer mag? Schafer's new title is outlined in there. I haven't read through the article yet, but it stars Jack Black as a roadie who busts some heads, in what looks like various moments in time. I LOVE Schafer's work so I hope this is as entertaining as Psychonauts.
Old 10-16-07, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What type of game is it?
Old 10-16-07, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
I haven't read through the article yet, but it stars Jack Black as a roadie who busts some heads, in what looks like various moments in time. I LOVE Schafer's work so I hope this is as entertaining as Psychonauts.
Old 10-16-07, 02:00 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
There's already a fairly detailed wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Br%C3%BCtal_Legend

3rd person action adventure for PS3/Xbox360. Jack Black does the main voice.
Old 10-16-07, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cjW4vWrLizQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cjW4vWrLizQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
Old 10-18-07, 08:39 AM

Psychonauts ended up being one of my top 5 fav's on the Xbox. If this game is half as good I think it will be in pretty good shape. If it looks anything like the trailer it is going to be a winner.
Old 10-18-07, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts
This month's Game Informer has a 5 or 6 page article about this game. I haven't had a chance to read through the whole thing but it looks pretty good.
Old 10-18-07, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by noonan4224
This month's Game Informer has a 5 or 6 page article about this game. I haven't had a chance to read through the whole thing but it looks pretty good.
Me neither. My dumps usually are only good for a 2 page article
Old 10-18-07, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Man I hope that new music by Tim Skold is a fact. I've been hoping that the whole KMFDM - Marilyn Manson thing was just a stepping stone to going solo again This game is sounding very cool.
Old 12-12-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks like EA is picking up this game after it was dropped by Activision Blizzard.
Old 12-12-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Excellent!
Old 02-10-09, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Tim Schafer's new game: Brutal Legend

OXM's preview: http://oxmonline.com/article/features/mag/brütal-legend

Page 1:
Spoiler:
Tim Schafer — the game designer known for funny cult hits like Psychonauts, Day of the Tentacle, and Full Throttle as much as his goatee and mischievous grin — is sitting in the San Francisco offices of Double Fine, paging through Heavy Metal Thunder, a paperback collection of rock-album artwork. He’s randomly discovered the cover image of Massive Killing Capacity, the third album by Swedish death-metallers Dismember. Backlit by an orange glow, a hulking armored mech suit with missiles for tusks and a chainsaw in each hand belches fire out of tubes on its back, lumbering forward on a battlefield littered with human remains. It’s as laughable as it is lethal.
“I mean, come on,” says Schafer enthusiastically. “How can you not make a videogame about that?”

As passion projects go, it’s hard to top Brütal Legend, an action/adventure game that Schafer says he’s “wanted to make for years and years. I was always a big metal fan, especially in high school. The lyrics and particularly the album art — the covers and the gatefold sleeves — were so evocative of these fantasy worlds. I wanted to fall into those worlds. But the only visuals that were available outside of the album art were the videos, and they usually had a budget of, like, $10 — one guy standing in the middle of a church with a sword. And in my head, when I listen to the music, it’s so much cooler than that.”

Page 2:
Spoiler:
The goal of Brütal Legend, then, became to “fulfill the promise of all those lyrics and all that lore, and not have it just be another Tolkien-esque elves-in-tights fantasy, but a collection of everything cool that we like, all put together. You could go back to this fantasy world, but you bring your Camaro with you.”

Schafer’s long public silence on the game was finally broken in December, when EA Partners picked up the title after a business shuffle between Sierra and Activision Blizzard left the game without a publisher. And Schafer wasn’t necessarily quiet because he wanted to be. “Sometimes when you’re negotiating a business thing, you don’t want to mess up anything that’s going on, so you just have to keep quiet,” he admits. “You have to post dumb stories about your cat on the news blog. You’re stuck.” But no longer — the umlaut-riddled world of Brütal Legend will be open to all this fall, and appropriately, it all starts with the spilling of innocent blood.

Page 3:
Spoiler:
You play as rock roadie Eddie Riggs — “a man out of time, who should have been born in the early Seventies,” reveals Schafer. “Eddie gets injured in a stage accident, and some of his blood gets into the mouth of his belt buckle — which he doesn’t know is an ancient amulet of time travel.” When Eddie wakes up, he’s in the same place he was before, only the foam-and-Fiberglass stage set has been swapped for real stone, and the audience has been replaced by piles of human remains. But the red-robed demons surrounding an enormous double-bladed axe…that’s new. Eddie quickly grabs the weapon — The Separator, which will have its own history revealed in time — and hacks the baddies to bloody bits. And since, as Schafer says, “the whole world is like an amplifier,” Eddie’s guitar, Clementine, is imbued with destructive magical force. He can blast Druids and Battle Nuns with pyrotechnics, electrocute them with zipzagging lightning bolts, or play a massive Earthshaker power chord to shatter the environment and send enemies flying.

Once slightly safe, Eddie realizes he’s atop a grisly temple made of skulls and corpses, and the landscape of this strange world is full of giant swords sticking out of the ground, towers of bone, pits of fire, wheels of pain, and other stuff you’d see, well, in the pages of Heavy Metal Thunder. “We tried to make every piece of concept art look like it could be a heavy metal album cover,” Schafer tells us. “That’s our decision-making process: ‘What do you think of this creature? Would you see it on an album cover?’ ‘Yes.’ Then it’s in.”

Page 4:
Spoiler:
Before the Titans of this world ascended to become the Metal Gods, they left behind the plans and parts for cars, weapons, and all kinds of cool stuff, but nobody has had the mechanical know-how to figure them out…until Eddie comes along. “He’s a roadie, so he can build anything,” reasons Schafer. “He’s a very practical-minded guy.” It’s not long before he learns a few riffs on his guitar — by tapping button combos, Ocarina-style — to raise ancient relics. Eddie snaps together a hot-rod (“the Deuce”) and teams up with Ophelia, a comely member of the human resistance who becomes Eddie’s love interest. Ophelia battles alongside Lars and Lita Halford , who have good intentions and great charisma but lack the organizational skills to mount a proper revolution against the demonic Tainted Coil and their human turncoat leader, General Lionwhyte (voiced by Judas Priest vocalist Rob Halford). “General Lionwhyte kidnapped all the young men living in this town and took them to a mine,” explains Schafer, as the Deuce barrels toward our destination. “But he didn’t even give them any tools, so they’re forced to bash their skulls against the walls.”

Finding the thick-necked men aren’t chained up but simply demoralized into submission, Eddie liberates the slaves with — what else? — the inspirational power of heavy metal, and turns these literal headbangers into his own army. A simple D-pad tap tells your boys to follow you, stay put, or attack a target — which in this case are glamtastic leopard-print statues of Lionwhyte that shriek “Teamwoooork!” Don’t worry, it’s not a strategy game, nor does Schafer even cite the minion-powered Overlord as an influence; the simple interface gives us the impression that commanding troops won’t be a burden, or stop you from cleaving nonbelievers in twain with The Separator.

Page 5:
Spoiler:
From here, you’re free to explore Brütal Legend’s open world, finding battles and joining them at will. The Deuce makes it easier to get around, but you’ll also use it in races and in combat, since the car can be outfitted with weapons. You’ll buy upgrades with lighters, the cash-like reward for successful missions, sweet Deuce jumps, and “anything that we deem to be extremely metal,” says Schafer. As you progress, you’ll amass a bigger army of Ironhead forces and find new weapons — hot-rods with ballistas mounted on top, guys that carry enormous stacks of amps (which can be used to generate foe-crushing feedback), runaway rocker chicks with crossbows who ride on your shoulders (like at a concert, get it?), and chopper-riding Fire Barons who pack Molotov cocktails, which you can pour out to “create a ring of fire to burn your enemies,” notes Schafer. “Or just write your name.”

For our first glimpse at the game in motion on 360 hardware, Brütal Legend looks alarmingly complete…but then again, it has been in development since 2005, before Psychonauts was even finished. The stylistically exaggerated characters look fantastic, the prehistoric Age of Metal realm feels fully realized, and most of the voices are already done — including that of Eddie Riggs, who, in a perfect bit of casting, is played by Jack Black. Schafer says the louder half of acoustic metalheads Tenacious D was an inspiration before JB was even involved in the project. “We said, ‘Let’s make Eddie half–Jack Black, half–Glenn Danzig,’” says Schafer. “Not like the Glenn Danzig/Jack Black lovechild, but like they had made out a little bit.”

Page 6:
Spoiler:
The team didn’t want to get their hopes up about getting Black to do the voice, but “someone told us he was a fan of Psychonauts, and we thought: ‘What? That’s crazy!’ So through people’s people, we got this meeting set up — just me and him on the roof of the Four Seasons in Los Angeles. I brought this binder of concept art and laid it all out for him, and he liked it. I really would say he’s starring in the game, because he’s brought life to Eddie Riggs. He’s a huge gamer — I’ve seen his Achievements, and he plays games like Mass Effect and BioShock all the way through and then plays through them again — so when I explain dialogue choices in the game, he gets all of that stuff. He knows, and he wants to make it good.”

Jack also gets metal culture — something Brütal Legend riffs on constantly. But will the average gamer get it, too? “It’s not a game just for metalheads,” maintains Schafer. “The jokes we’re making about metal, people also get outside of metal. At the end of it, it’s still a human story about Eddie’s aspirations and the love interest and stuff, and that’s stuff that anyone can relate to.”

Plus, the gaming landscape has shifted a bit in Brütal Legend’s favor over the last few years, thanks in part to a small developer in Boston. “We started pitching this game before the first Guitar Hero came out,” says Schafer, “and we got feedback like, ‘It’s good, but have you thought about making it a hip-hop game, or making it country?’ And then Guitar Hero debuted, and that stuff changed. (So timely!) Harmonix had such great taste when they created the tracklist. It’s obvious that music fans picked those songs. So metal really has had a resurgence.”

That, combined with other pop-culture touchstones, put Brütal Legend on track for its 2009 release. “There’s a scene in School of Rock where Jack is singing ‘Immigrant Song’ by Led Zeppelin,” Schafer recalls. “He does this thing, ‘Hammer…of the gods!’ And they cut to a shot of the girl in the van, and there’s an Iron Maiden sticker on the wall. And I felt, ah…it is rising in the zeitgeist…it’s time! It’s time for this game to be made!”

Last edited by pinata242; 02-10-09 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-10-09, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't fucking wait for this game! It's like the combination of everything awesome.
Old 02-10-09, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never have a wished I had a 360 more than I do now.
Old 02-10-09, 09:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Presuming this gets good reviews, this will go on my purchase list for the year.
Old 02-12-09, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I looked up the Dismember album cover that Schafer mentions in that interview. This would make an awesome boss battle

Old 02-13-09, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_s...exhusband.html

Think the drama over "Brutal Legend" is over? Think again.

It turns out that Activision Blizzard is under the impression it still has publishing rights to the game. And it’s threatening to sue developer Double Fine and new publisher Electronic Arts as a result.

(Some background for anyone who hasn’t followed this whole drama for the past year: Double Fine, developer of the critically acclaimed but underperforming “Psychonauts,” set up “Brutal Legend,” an action game set in the world of heavy metal that stars Jack Black, at Vivendi Games. Then last year Vivendi Games merged with Activision to form Activision Blizzard. The newly merged company, led by Activision execs, declined to pick up a number of Vivendi’s projects, including, it appeared, “Brutal Legend.” Then in December, Electronic Arts announced that it had reached a deal with Double Fine and would release the game next fall.)

Now Activision Blizzard has written a letter to EA (and possibly Double Fine) informing them of its legal concerns. According to two sources familiar with ActiBlizzard’s position, the publisher believes that it was still in negotiations with Double Fine and that the EA deal is invalid.

Does that mean ActiBlizzard wants “Brutal Legend” for itself? Nope. I’ve been told it doesn’t think the game has the potential to be the kind of mega-profitable, “Call of Duty”-size franchise that it looks for these days.

So what does it want? A good guess would be money in exchange for giving up its publishing rights. That is what it received from Atari for “Ghostbusters” and “The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Athena,” for instance.

Double Fine’s position, however, appears to be that it owns the rights to “Brutal Legend” and that somehow in the merger process, whether because there’s no longer a Vivendi Games or because the original fall 2008 publishing date passed and Activision didn’t express interest in finding a new one, it's allowed to find a new publisher.

An Activision Blizzard rep declined to comment. But EA has responded with its claws bared, giving me this rather pointed response:

We doubt that Activision would try to sue. That would be like a husband abandoning his family and then suing after his wife meets a better looking guy.
Me-ow.
I wonder if this game will spawn it's own music that can be released on Rock Band for promotion.
Old 02-15-09, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordred
Never have a wished I had a 360 more than I do now.
Is it not coming to PS3 too?
Old 02-16-09, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl
Is it not coming to PS3 too?
Well, I checked and it is coming to the PS3 as well. For some reason I got the impression in this thread that it was an exclusive. Now I'm glad I didn't waste money on a crappy 360!
Old 03-25-09, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
Anyone else looking forward to Brütal Legend?

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" id="gtembed" width="480" height="392"> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" /> <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /> <param name="movie" value="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?umid=118200"/> <param name="quality" value="high" /> <embed src="http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?umid=118200" swLiveConnect="true" name="gtembed" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="true" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="392"></embed> </object>

I saw an article about this game on POTM a while back and have been looking forward to it ever since.

For those who want to know what it's about, here's some info from Wikipedia:

Brütal Legend follows the story of Eddie Riggs (named for Eddie the Head, the mascot of Iron Maiden, and Derek Riggs, the artist who created him), who is living as a roadie for a heavy metal band. The game begins one night before a gig. As Riggs is tuning a guitar, an accident happens and he starts to bleed. His blood drips onto his cursed belt buckle, which bears a strong resemblance to Motörhead's Snaggletooth emblem. Before he knows it, the beast on his buckle has come alive and transported him into a heavy metal and Nordic fantasy inspired alternate history where demons have enslaved humanity.

After escaping the Temple of Ormagöden, where he first appears in the Heavy Metal past, Eddie meets Ophelia, a love interest likened to the same character from Shakespeare's Hamlet. Ophelia is soon severely injured and Riggs must climb a mystical mountain to do battle with a motorcycle-driving bass guitarist (voiced by Motörhead's Lemmy Kilmister), called the Kill Master. Eddie will also meet Lita Halford (a double-reference to Lita Ford and Rob Halford) and her younger brother, Lars, who help Eddie and Ophelia start a resistance movement against Lord Dolivicus, his glam metal minion, General Lionwhyte (voiced by Rob Halford and a reference to the band White Lion), whose hair is so luscious, he uses it to fly, and their legions of demons to free the world. Eddie will also encounter the local wildlife, including half-boar/half-motorcycle "Razorfires", a giant three-tongued lamprey, and giant chrome spiders that spin silk which can be made into magical bass strings.

After the first act of the game, Eddie will deal with a community of humans who willingly fight alongside the demons. They wear black and "drink from a sea of black tears. It gives them great power but also makes them look dead." These humans are parodies of Goth and Emo. These enemies include "Grave Diggers", "Brides" and "Reapers" that wear bondage gear.

In the game's first trailer, a demon tells Eddie that his belt buckle is a mask "forged from the steel flesh of the fire beast", and that it was meant for "a god, not a roadie". Eddie then snaps the demon's neck and charges into battle with the Headbangers to the tunes of Black Sabbath's "The Mob Rules". The trailer also shows that Eddie has the ability to sprout wings so he can fly. According to the Game Informer article, "his blood hides a dark secret and his wings are the proof".
And you gotta love the soundtrack:

The soundtrack is set to include brand new music by Zakk Wylde, Tim Skold, Wolfmother, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, and Ronnie James Dio, with extended guitar solos by Judas Priest guitarists K. K. Downing and Glenn Tipton. Tim Schafers' long term collaborator Peter McConnell is also involved in the soundtrack.

The song "The Mob Rules" by Black Sabbath was used in the first trailer for the game and the songs "The Hellion" and "Electric Eye" by Judas Priest are used on Brutal Legend's website.
Interview with Tim Schafer: http://www.g-wie-gorilla.de/content/view/654/18/

The full Wikipedia article is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brutal_Legend

And the official site is here: http://www.brutallegend.com/
Old 03-25-09, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Darn it. I didn't realize there was already a thread dedicated to this game. That's what I get for not remembering to use the search button.
Old 03-27-09, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

When I e-mailed my unlce about this game, he replied the following: "Lol at Iron Maiden and Emos vs the demons. The only improvement I can think of is a few lesbian vampires."
Old 05-01-09, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IkVQzlXqXRI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IkVQzlXqXRI&hl=en&fs=1&fmt=18" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
Old 05-01-09, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I want to go to there.

This is what Pick of Destiny should have been haha.
Old 05-01-09, 04:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome. I'm sold.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.