OXM Dec #77 demo disk

I just received Dec OXM #77 magazine.

The demo disk contained:

Blazing Angels 2
Call of Juarez
C&C 3 Tiberium Wars
Timeshift

All can be downloaded from Xbox live.

The SURPRISE DEMO is GUITAR HERO III with five new songs. I haven't played it (Damn Football games).
Old 10-14-07, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shit, I'll be pickin that copy up soon. What songs? Is there online multiplayer?
Old 10-14-07, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Shit, I'll be pickin that copy up soon. What songs? Is there online multiplayer?
Evenflow- Peral Jam

Lay Down- Priestess

Hit me with your best shot- Pat Benatar

Rock you like a hurricane- Scorpions

The Metal- Tenacious D

No online multiplayer
Old 10-14-07, 02:11 PM

Is this magazine out in stores yet?
Old 10-14-07, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Soooo hoping my copy comes in the mail tomorrow. That way I don't have to bother renting the new Tony Hawk game.
Old 10-14-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sekots
Is this magazine out in stores yet?
It should be in stores on Tuesday.
Old 10-14-07, 03:31 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Excuse the stupidity, but I've never bought a video game magazine before, but if I could get the GH3 demo out of it, I'd be happy. Where would they sell OXM? And would it have the demo disc with it wherever I get it? And I'm assuming it's no more than $5 or so?
Old 10-14-07, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aktick
Excuse the stupidity, but I've never bought a video game magazine before, but if I could get the GH3 demo out of it, I'd be happy. Where would they sell OXM? And would it have the demo disc with it wherever I get it? And I'm assuming it's no more than $5 or so?
Pretty much any place that sells magazines will have it.. It's $10.
Old 10-14-07, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Been looking for it with no luck...I'll check around on tuesday I guess...probably not worth the $10 but I'm dying to get some GHIII action going...
Old 10-14-07, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I found the new issue today at Barnes & Noble today.
Old 10-14-07, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,079 Likes on 654 Posts
Originally Posted by Shagrath
Pretty much any place that sells magazines will have it.. It's $10.
Pretty crazy newsstand price. It's better to just go to their website and get a full year subscription with the discs for $25.
Old 10-15-07, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way and correct me if I am wrong but I have read that you can get gamerscore points on these OXM demo discs that you cannot get by just downloading the demo thru Live. Is that true?
Old 10-15-07, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
No.

I haven't checked one out in a while, but they make you earn fake gamerscore points(by viewing/playing stuff on the disc) to unlock gamerpics and themes.
Old 10-15-07, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Pretty crazy newsstand price. It's better to just go to their website and get a full year subscription with the discs for $25.
I didn't know about that offer, but I definitely jumped on it. I wish I saw that 6 weeks ago so I'd be getting the GH3 demo right about now.
Old 10-16-07, 06:03 PM
Cat

I just got this issue with the OXM demo disc #77, but the disc doesn't work. When I put it in it says that I can only play this disc in an XBOX 360, which is what I am trying to play it in. Anybody else have this problem? Is there a way to get a replacement disc?
Old 10-16-07, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cat
I just got this issue with the OXM demo disc #77, but the disc doesn't work. When I put it in it says that I can only play this disc in an XBOX 360, which is what I am trying to play it in. Anybody else have this problem? Is there a way to get a replacement disc?
I had the same exact problem, and a search turned up a few hits in which people recommended boiling the disc. It sounds weird, but it worked for me. Boil some water in a pot, making sure the water is deep enough to completely submerge the disc in it without touching the sides or bottom of the pot. You can use tongs or just stick something like a spoon through the disc's center hole, then dip the disc into the water for 3 to 5 seconds. Remove it from the water, dry it with a clean cloth or towel, and give it a little time to cool off. Then pop it in the 360 and cross your fingers. If that doesn't work, here's the form to request a replacement disc:

http://www.futurenetworkusa.com/cust...offic_xbox_mag

Good luck!
Old 10-16-07, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
My disc doesn't play either. I tried everything. I spent almost an hour trying to get the damn thing to play. My XB drive makes a grinding noise every couple seconds.

My success rate on these demo discs is roughly 50%. Half play right off the bat, half I gotta work with. This month will now be the 2nd month I had to e-mail and request a replacement.
Old 10-17-07, 07:12 PM
Cat

Originally Posted by UncleGramps
It sounds weird, but it worked for me. Boil some water in a pot, making sure the water is deep enough to completely submerge the disc in it without touching the sides or bottom of the pot. You can use tongs or just stick something like a spoon through the disc's center hole, then dip the disc into the water for 3 to 5 seconds. Remove it from the water, dry it with a clean cloth or towel, and give it a little time to cool off. Then pop it in the 360 and cross your fingers.
This actually worked! I didn't think I had anything to lose since I could get a replacement disc. I boiled the water, stuck in the disc and counted to 4, dried it off, put it in the 360 and......it booted up! This is why I love the internet.
Old 10-17-07, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
I picked this up today (even though I just signed up for a subscription). Rock you like a hurricane is one of my faves, great solo action on that one. I love the look of the game, and it's fun playing some new (mainstream) songs.
Old 11-02-07, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Resubscribed since I recently got a 360. Checked out my disc today:

GHIII: very cool but I had already downloaded the demo
Timeshift: enjoyed this one. won't buy it on release date but likely when it hits the $20-$30 range.
Blazing Angels: Not a fan of plane games so not for me.
Command & Conquer 3: Ugh. People actually enjoy games like this? Why?
Call of Juarez: Not impressed. Very mediocre FPS. Western-wise, Gun was much better.

Arcade demos:
Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Reminded me of all the time wasted on this game with my Genesis years ago. But not much fun today.
Marathon Durandal: Doom clone. Interesting but I can't see me buying these on Arcade (maybe for 2 bucks or less).
Super Puzzle Fighter II: WTF? Bizarre Tetris rip-off/fighting game with deformed characters. Bizarre and not fun.

Trailers: All were uninteresting or stuff you have already seen.

Bonus item: Exclusive Call of Duty 4 gamer pix

Artwork: Nothing special but Prototype looks interesting.

Okay...this was my first OXM disc since I gave up my Xbox a couple of years ago. I really like what they have done format wise. Nice looking menus and easy to get around. The bad: Why the hell do I have to exit out of the disc completely to XBL Arcade when I am done with an Arcade demo? That could easily be fixed.

Biggest question: What the hell is the OXM Universe???

I think it is a good idea giving points for checking out trailers and demos but they are really confusing as to what they do or are good for. I went to the OXM Universe and used my credits to build a satellite/space station/rocket or something. Then you have to build something else. But guess what...you run out of credits and there is no way to travel (?) to a planet to get whatever they are offering. You can't get any more credits on that disc so I guess you have to get more credits on past discs or future discs??? But for what?

Someone please explain. Thanks.
Old 11-03-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Super Puzzle Fighter II: WTF? Bizarre Tetris rip-off/fighting game with deformed characters. Bizarre and not fun.

Okay...this was my first OXM disc since I gave up my Xbox a couple of years ago. I really like what they have done format wise. Nice looking menus and easy to get around. The bad: Why the hell do I have to exit out of the disc completely to XBL Arcade when I am done with an Arcade demo? That could easily be fixed.

Biggest question: What the hell is the OXM Universe???

I think it is a good idea giving points for checking out trailers and demos but they are really confusing as to what they do or are good for. I went to the OXM Universe and used my credits to build a satellite/space station/rocket or something. Then you have to build something else. But guess what...you run out of credits and there is no way to travel (?) to a planet to get whatever they are offering. You can't get any more credits on that disc so I guess you have to get more credits on past discs or future discs??? But for what?

Someone please explain. Thanks.
Alright Spider, i was tempted to not help because you insulted the best puzzle game ever. EVER. But i will let it slide this time and just assume you don't understand the genius that is SPF.

OXM Universe is some weird exploration game where you spend your points to build things for an exploration satellite. I have been playing every month since the "game" started coming on the disc and i have yet to actually get the thing to go anywhere.

It is just something slightly amusing and makes those points earned for watching trailers and stuff do something.
Old 11-03-07, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Alright Spider, i was tempted to not help because you insulted the best puzzle game ever. EVER. But i will let it slide this time and just assume you don't understand the genius that is SPF.
Please explain. I guess I just didn't get it.

OXM Universe is some weird exploration game where you spend your points to build things for an exploration satellite. I have been playing every month since the "game" started coming on the disc and i have yet to actually get the thing to go anywhere.

It is just something slightly amusing and makes those points earned for watching trailers and stuff do something.
So you have gotten all the points so far and have gotten nothing out of it or had it do anything special??? That's just strange.