Dexter - "An Inconvenient Lie" - 10/14/07

Old 10-14-07, 11:41 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
Dexter - "An Inconvenient Lie" - 10/14/07

"An Inconvenient Lie"
Spoiler:
Dexter pursues a slick liar; Rita forces Dexter into a 12-step program.
Old 10-14-07, 12:14 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Showtime has a slightly expanded description:

Spoiler:
Dexter's sudden inability to deceive has him pursuing a slick liar as his next victim, while Rita believes he's concealing a drug problem and forces him into a 12-step program where he meets Lila, a seductive new woman.
Old 10-14-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Fingers crossed for more naked Julie Benz
Besides that I love the "Bay Harbor Butcher" storyline thus far.
Old 10-14-07, 09:03 PM

Was this the first time the Dark Passenger was mentioned in the show, or have I gone crazy?
Old 10-14-07, 10:28 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Sebring98
Was this the first time the Dark Passenger was mentioned in the show, or have I gone crazy?
It was...was this from the book?

Excellent episode. Loved the ending, especially with Dokes now off Dexters case.
Old 10-14-07, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best episode of the season, had some wonderful funny moments. I suspect Doakes will still keep tabs on Dexter, just not as often.

I'm really digging how this season is progessing.
Old 10-14-07, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
It was...was this from the book?

Excellent episode. Loved the ending, especially with Dokes now off Dexters case.
Yes, it's from the book. It's referred to often in it. I would've thought if they were going to refer to the DP, it would be in the first season, since it follows the book (the 2nd season is original).
Old 10-15-07, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Another solid episode! Great Sunday nite -- with excellent outings by DH & Dexter!
Originally Posted by Drop
Best episode of the season, had some wonderful funny moments. I suspect Doakes will still keep tabs on Dexter, just not as often.
"Oh, and you owe me a new Michelin you muthaf**ker!"

The small applause of relief by Dex, that coincided with the end of the Narcotics Anonymous prayer, also had me . He's thrown Doakes off his scent for the time being, but now has sis to focus on.
Old 10-15-07, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 74 Likes on 57 Posts
Great episode with some excellent lines! It's definitely the episode Michael C. Hall should send in for the Emmys.

I'm a little worried about the Rita/Lila thing, though. Lila seems pretty cool, and she would probably understand Dexter a hell of a lot more than Rita would, but I really don't want to see Rita get hurt.
Old 10-15-07, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really hope Doakes is off Dexter's case now... I was getting tired of that. I don't not like Doakes, but him constantly chasing Dexter was getting tiresome.
Old 10-15-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes. Their comparison of being a psychopath to being a drug addict is a real stretch, but it's better than what Lindsay came up with for "Dexter in the Dark." But then again, I think the show lets the audience off too quickly by having Dexter kill his targets fast. He's a more interesting character when he tortures people to death. I liked him working on the guy for an hour-and-a-half in "Dearly Devoted Dexter."

This season had better not end with Lundy finding out about Dexter and letting him go. That would be stupid.

Last edited by ScandalUMD; 10-15-07 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-15-07, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, it's from the book. It's referred to often in it. I would've thought if they were going to refer to the DP, it would be in the first season, since it follows the book (the 2nd season is original).
I was going to bring up that its nice to finally be introduced to the Dark Passenger. I started reading the book after i watched the first season and thought it was odd that they never had Dexter talk about him/it in the series.
Old 10-15-07, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by ScandalUMD
Yes. Their comparison of being a psychopath to being a drug addict is a real stretch, but it's better than what Lindsay came up with for "Dexter in the Dark." But then again, I think the show lets the audience off too quickly by having Dexter kill his targets fast. He's a more interesting character when he tortures people to death. I liked him working on the guy for an hour-and-a-half in "Dearly Devoted Dexter."

This season had better not end with Lundy finding out about Dexter and letting him go. That would be stupid.
Yeah, but I liked that about last night's episode. Dexter was talking to the car salesman/victim, and the guy took a shot at Rita and Dexter had an immediate violent reaction that he didn't plan out at all. It was kind of like last year when he took out Paul. I like the fact that he is slowly realizing that he does need these people in his life (like last year when he chose Deb over his real brother).
Old 10-15-07, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That chick from the NA meetings (Lila?) is going to get on my last nerve rather quickly.
Old 10-15-07, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Once again, another delicious episode of Dexter. The writing just has a fun way with the audience with this episode of Dexter and NA, and the used car salesman, while continuing to push the macro-story along.
Old 10-15-07, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ScandalUMD

Hmm, don't really know if it's stretch, not being a drug addict or serial killer, but I find the justification within the show feels reasonable. Dexter likes the thrill of killing someone, it makes him feel alive, much like a drug addict. He in many ways loves the dark passenger, but also finds it somewhat of a nuisance, if just for the fact that he wants to live his life. Getting caught seems inevitable, it's scary. Killing is an addiction for him, in some form, so going to and addiction help program kind of makes sense. It's not exact but the show doesn't seem to playing it off that way. For Dexter, it allows a level of openness and comfortability that he cannot get elsewhere.

I suspect Dexter will kill to save himself or frame someone else. It's more dramatic than being let off the hook; a huge moral dilemma for him.
Old 10-15-07, 02:25 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I'd hate to say it, but can we not discuss the books and the TV show? Some people are just starting to read the books and there is an awful lot of people ruining them.
Old 10-15-07, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I'd hate to say it, but can we not discuss the books and the TV show? Some people are just starting to read the books and there is an awful lot of people ruining them.
The Dark Passenger is mentioned pretty much from page one of the first book. I don't thin anything has been ruined for you.
Old 10-15-07, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do enjoy that they are finally mentioning the Dark Passenger, which I found very fascinating to read about in the novels. The season so far is off to a great start and I can't wait to see where everything leads. If I had to nitpick I would love for them to throw out the boss and her cheating boyfriend storyline. Unless it becomes entangled with the main conflict, I find it a waste of time and just stupid and mystifying that she hasn't gotten in trouble for using department resources to keep tabs on him.
Old 10-15-07, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
The Dark Passenger is mentioned pretty much from page one of the first book. I don't thin anything has been ruined for you.
I'm only on the 5th chapter and I haven't seen anything that has spoiled anything for me in the book. Plus if you have already seen Season 1, it seems they followed pretty close to the first book, so there isn't much that could be spoiled for you.
And I do believe that the dark passenger was mentioned on the first page. I do understand if you're referring to the second book, since the second season is not based on that.
Old 10-17-07, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
This won't mean anything to most people, but it took me right out of the show. When Dex was watching tv they showed a car commercial and it was from Dallas (Irving) Tx. Wonder why they did that.
Old 10-17-07, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts
Great season so far. The quality hasn't dropped at all from the first season. Simply entertaining.

It was fairly predictable that Doakes would've been thrown off Dexter's trail with the addict excuse. I do have a hard time believing Doakes quickly thinking Dexter's secret was his substance addiction though. Doakes said he knew Dexter was connected to the Ice Truck Killer somehow, so how does him being in a 12 step program explain anything? Also, Dexter not being bother by Doake's constant tailing should make him even more suspicious of him. People who aren't guilty of anything would get extremely angry and annoyed over being tailed everywhere.
Old 10-17-07, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts
One of the best episodes of the series, loved the scene between Dexter and Doakes...I found myself rewinding multiple scenes just to hear the lines again, especially:

Masuka: "LFI. Translation: everyone's bitch"

Last edited by bluetoast; 10-17-07 at 09:15 PM.
Old 10-17-07, 09:45 PM

I'm in the minority in this forum in that I thought season 1 was mediocre. I almost dropped the show, but I'm enjoying season 2 much more. I really liked this episode. I still think the cast is pretty weak outside of Michael Hall, but I'm liking the show now.
Old 10-17-07, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Coral
Great season so far. The quality hasn't dropped at all from the first season. Simply entertaining.

It was fairly predictable that Doakes would've been thrown off Dexter's trail with the addict excuse. I do have a hard time believing Doakes quickly thinking Dexter's secret was his substance addiction though. Doakes said he knew Dexter was connected to the Ice Truck Killer somehow, so how does him being in a 12 step program explain anything? Also, Dexter not being bother by Doake's constant tailing should make him even more suspicious of him. People who aren't guilty of anything would get extremely angry and annoyed over being tailed everywhere.
You're not giving Doakes enough credit. Like you said he knows there's a connection to the ITK, he'll still keep an eye on Dexter, he's still a weirdo.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.