Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Best New Show of the 2007-2008 Season Thread.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Best New Show of the 2007-2008 Season.
Chuck
14.18%
Journeyman
10.64%
Life
5.67%
Bionic Woman
3.55%
Private Practice
0.71%
Pushing Daisies
46.81%
Cane
1.42%
Dirty Sexy Money
9.93%
Gossip Girl
0.71%
Other (please specify)
6.38%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-07, 04:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 906 Likes on 766 Posts

So what do you think is the best new show of the season. Whether it be comedy, drama, reality, or other.

Hands down for me is "Pushing Daisies". The cast and premise are exquisite. The dialogue is so crisp and poetic I have never heard or saw anything like this show. It is fresh and new while relying on trusted and proved genres of yesterday. The PI genre has been crowded and done to death, but never in this way.

The chemistry between Ned and Chuck is so warm and endearing, with her smile and his charm...i just love this new show so much and hope it stays on for a long time and never in my eyes gets old.

So, what do you think???

Last edited by OldBoy; 10-13-07 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-11-07, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It premiered in July, but hands down the best new show I have seen in a very long time is Mad Men. There are still a few episodes left.
Old 10-11-07, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow...I really didn't like Mad Men...different strokes. Last week I would have said Chuck, this week I'm without a doubt saying Pushing Daisies.
Old 10-11-07, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think for me at this point, its big bang. I like pushing daisies, but I haven't watched the second episode yet, and the first was a bit slow. Chuck is a real close second though.
Old 10-11-07, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If we extend this to anything that started after the conclusion of the traditional 2006-2007 season, my answer would be Burn Notice. I dig that show so much it's not funny.

If we're just dealing with the traditional 2007-2008 season and not the summer, it's Pushing Daisies. Dirty Sexy Money would be a very distant second in my book after 2 episodes (still have last night's on the DVR).
Old 10-11-07, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by scott1598
Hands down for me is "Pushing Daisies". The cast and premise are exquisite. The dialogue to so crisp and poetic I have never heard or saw anything like this show. It is fresh and new while relying on trusted and proved genres of yesterday. The PI genre has been crowded and done to death, but never in this way.
Definitely agree with this. However, I actually went out of my way to set my DVR for that new Christina Applegate show. So i'll see how that works out. I also want to check out that Angie Harmon show, because i'm on an Angie kick for some reason.

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
If we extend this to anything that started after the conclusion of the traditional 2006-2007 season, my answer would be Burn Notice. I dig that show so much it's not funny.
Yeah, this was a highly enjoyable show. It's pretty sucky that we have to wait 'til next summer for more eps.
Old 10-11-07, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1.) Dirty Sexy Money
2.) Pushing Daisies
3.) Carpoolers

I chose DSM just because it fits my taste better and is just a few notches more enjoyable than PD.

The other new shows I decided to check out - I have already dropped. So I now watch only three new shows.

Last edited by conscience; 10-11-07 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-11-07, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
It premiered in July, but hands down the best new show I have seen in a very long time is Mad Men. There are still a few episodes left.
I thought I was the only person on the forum that actually watched this brilliant show.

Of the shows listed it's Pushing Daisies by a mile. The soon to be canceled Journeyman comes in a distant second.
Old 10-11-07, 06:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 906 Likes on 766 Posts
i do also have to say "Chuck" is second. not a close second though, as i just think PD is something i haven't experienced in a long time and am so far blown away.
Old 10-11-07, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts
Pushing Daisies comes in first, with Chuck as a close second.
Old 10-11-07, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pushing Daisies get my vote.
Old 10-11-07, 07:39 PM

The only three shows I've really watched yet are "The Big Bang Theory" and "Gossip Girl", both of which I am really enjoying despite the bad reviews. I plan to check out a bunch of others as well, when I get a chance.
Old 10-11-07, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Voted for Pushing Daisies.

What year is Torchwood on BBC America in? It has had some very strong episodes so far... only a couple of weak ones...
Old 10-11-07, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think it's too early to tell but my vote goes to "Dirty Sexy Money"
Old 10-11-07, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Voted for Pushing Daisies.
But the best show I've seen all year is Damages on FX. Edge of your seat drama with some riveting performances led by Glenn Close. It premiered in July, but it's not too late for anyone to catch up - FX plans a marathon next Saturday (starting with the pilot) before the Finale on the 23rd.
Old 10-11-07, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
For me, I based my selections on how much I want the show to stick around for the entire season, and I came up with:

Life - the overall macro story intertwined with present-day cases at hand, with an interesting lead character make this show the one I want to stick around the most.

Californication - just simply a show that consistently entertains me and doesn't dance around adult themes and situations, instead, it embraces them, warts and all.

Damages - is like watching a pulp novel that you can't put down. Each episode leaves you wanting more, and that's tough to do on a consistent basis, but this show has managed to do it, and has a terrific cast who all provide interesting performances.

Pushing Daisies - yes, it's an early favorite because of its whimsical tone, fairy tale sensibilities, and teasing allure of chemistry between the guy/gal who can never touch one another skin-on-skin but want to do so so much. I fear that the episodic nature of the show will undercut momentum to encourage viewers to keep coming back for more of the same. It's just an oddly put together procedural show.

Bionic Woman - sure, it's a bit clumsy out of the gate, like a just-born horse strugging to find its legs, with the potential to be a thoroughbred. I look forward to the episodes just because it doesn't spin its wheel, but rather runs a little wild, throwing caution to the wind, but hopefully it'll settle into a nice groove soon.

Dirty Sexy Money - for some reason, this show doesn't really need the hunt for Nicholas' father macro-story arc, it's got many options to be more of an episodic show given the cast of characters, but I appreciate the dangling plotlines that will be weaved in and out over the course of the season.

Big Bang Theory - has a lot of potential, and the writing is at least above average, so I enjoy it.

Cane - watchable as a South Florida-based Falcon Crest type of show. The lead protagonist isn't above getting his hands dirty.

Big Shots - it's like watching a show with 4 different directors in each episode as the tone for each character's subplot never really meshes well with the other subplots. It's jarring at times when you watch this show.

Chuck - the jury is still out on this show.

Gossip Girl - it's almost too juvenile at times, which makes you want to slap the characters on the back of their heads.

Reaper - still struggling to come up with interesting demons for Sam to send back to hell, and is probably a show that needs a macro-story to sustain viewer interest.

Journeyman - plays too coy with the audience.

Private Practice - they should have called this show "Emotionally Stunted" because some of these doctors border on creepy and emotionally crippled. It's just not quite enjoyable to watch in these early episodes so far.

Moonlight - just a clumsily plotted show lacking a charismatic leading vampire.

Last edited by Patman; 10-11-07 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-12-07, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1. Chuck
2. Journeyman

Honorable Notice - Burn Notice

Doug
Old 10-12-07, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've enjoyed Life the most, but have also liked Big Bang Theory as mindless mind candy (ironic in my book considering it's about geniuses), Chuck, and Cane. I liked Bionic Woman enough at the beginning, but three episodes in, I'm not sure if I'll stick around.
Old 10-12-07, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Pushing Daisies
Old 10-12-07, 10:10 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm assuming we're talking fall network shows, based on the poll choices.

This has been the worst slate of new shows I've seen in a long time -- perhaps ever. The only new show on the list I really like is Pushing Daisies, so that got my vote.
Old 10-12-07, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Madigan Man
Old 10-12-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The new show I'm enjoying most is Chuck. There are better made shows on tv, but no show entertains me the way Chuck does. If every other new show I like this season gets canceled tomorrow, I wouldn't really care save for Chuck.
Old 10-12-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
DIRTY SEXY MONEY

For some reason I find every single character on that show engaging.
Old 10-12-07, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Pushing Daisies is without a doubt the best new show of the 07-08’ PTTV Season.

I also (in order) have liked & enjoyed... The Big Bang Theory (a light, “leave your brain at the door” sitcom), Life (It’s Raines without Goldblum & the bad ratings), Cane (cliché’s yes, but entertaining nonetheless) & Kitchen Nightmares (guilty pleasure, Ramsay IS Comedy).

Most of the other new series have been mediocre to plain out horrible.
Old 10-12-07, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Wow...I really didn't like Mad Men...different strokes.
Really? The show just gets better and better. I can't think of any other current show I want to watch multiple times. There is just so much subtext going on, I could see papers being written dissecting this show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.