Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

any one been to Muvico's Rosemont Walk?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-07, 09:49 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I was just curious to know how the theatre is, since it's the first of the chain's theatres to go all digital with Sony's new 4K digital projection systems in all 18 of it's auditoriums. I know that besides Landmark's theatre in LA (currently showing 'Blade Runner' in 4K), the switch over to the latest in state of art projection is slowly on the rise. Both Landmark and Muvico are backing and installing Sony's systems nationally and 2008 will hopefully see more theatres and more specifically DLP rollout of it's own 4K resolution systems.
Old 10-09-07, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haven't been through there yet. I work not too far from Rosemont, sounds like it might be worth checking out.
Old 10-09-07, 10:29 AM

the oddest thing I read about Rosemont's theatre is that they provide on site day care ... interesting - wonder if they give the parents a pager or something if 'problems' arise.
Old 10-09-07, 11:06 AM

First I heard about day care. I know it was being marketed as a distraction/hassle free theater.
Old 10-09-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Funny you should ask... my wife and I will be doing the VIP seats this weekend. I'll let you know. This is actually the closest theater to our house.
Old 10-09-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sundog
First I heard about day care. I know it was being marketed as a distraction/hassle free theater.
It's actually better and cheaper than a babysitter. It's $9 a kid (3-8) for 3 hours.
Old 10-09-07, 06:42 PM

This day care idea has dredged up very young childhood memories of playing in a bowling alley's "day care" room thick with cigarette smoke emanating from gravelly voiced she-beasts watching over.

Originally Posted by rabbit77
It's actually better and cheaper than a babysitter. It's $9 a kid (3-8) for 3 hours.
Heh, I hope you don't plan on trying to smuggle your boys in there...

Their combined ages don't even add up to 3!
Old 10-11-07, 02:24 PM

I'm curious to know about how films that aren't 4K or 35mm film based are projected at Rosemont, since the only studios committed to releasing content in 4K resolution are Sony, Fox, Paramount, and Warner Bros. I haven't heard or read anything online if Universal and Disney will be joining that list of studios.
Old 10-11-07, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I've been to the theater a couple of times during weekend afternoons, so the traffic has been pretty low. The first screening (Resident Evil Extinction) was pretty bad from a projection stand point - the best I could describe it was as a "honeycomb" screen-door effect. It was only evident in brightly lit scenes...but thats most of the movie.

The second screening was Across the Universe - and it was beautiful. No complaints at all.

Just random things, comfy super-wide seats. Great extensive menu (chicken finger, mozzarella sticks, popcorn shrimp. mini burgers), free parking.....just one thing...wear pants and take a sweatshirt, its gets pretty chilly in there.
Old 10-13-07, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw Michael Clayton there tonight and the picture quality is mixed. I didn't see any improvement over a 1080p DLP projection, and surprisingly the opening and closing credits (white letters on black background) showed pixelation. We sat in the front row and the film itself looked flawless. The front row is actually far back enough that the screen is very watchable from there.

I saw a 7:45 show on a Saturday, so the concessions line was irritatingly long - long enough to make me forgo the free popcorn you get with your ticket order. It is nice, though, to have a beer in the theater. And I'm not just talking about a paper cup, I'm talking about a glass of beer.

I ordered a beer and a bottled water and the only bottled water they had in the bar was imported pellegrino water, and the barkeep was like, "it's more expensive than the beer! I'll ring you up for a diet coke." That was really nice of him.

Last edited by rabbit77; 10-15-07 at 11:44 AM.