Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Kevin Smith - My Boring A$$ Life

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kevin Smith - My Boring A$$ Life

Anyone else read this yet? I'm about 40 pages in and close to calling it quits. Like the title says, it is kind of boring. For anyone else that has read it, does it pick up?
Old 10-08-07, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing that could possibly be more boring than a Kevin Smith movie, would be a Kevin Smith book.

Sorry, I know that doesn't answer your question, but it had to be said.
Old 10-08-07, 05:36 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I paged through this at the bookstore just yesterday. It didn't look too entertaining from what I read...
Old 10-08-07, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Isn't it just reprintings of his blogs?
Old 10-08-07, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If it reprints the "Me and My Shadow" blogs about Jason Mewes's heroin addiction, those are worth reading. I couldn't imagine reading a collection of his regular-type blogs, though. They're usually just about what he did that day or week.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Old 10-09-07, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smith has some great storytelling skills, but I don't think I would want to read them though. I'll listen to him talk about whatever though.
Old 10-09-07, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by cupcake jesus
If it reprints the "Me and My Shadow" blogs about Jason Mewes's heroin addiction, those are worth reading. I couldn't imagine reading a collection of his regular-type blogs, though. They're usually just about what he did that day or week.

cheers,

-the Jesus
Yeah, those "Me and My Shadow" blogs were some pretty compelling stuff even for non fans of Mr. Smith.
Old 10-11-07, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Me and My Shadow is included...
Old 10-27-07, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I picked up the book because i regularly read his blog and i wanted the Jason Mewes addiction stories to show some friends. Those posts are extremely compelling.

You are right though, much of the other stuff is kind of dull but at least maintains the standard Kevin Smith wit so i even enjoy them a little.
Old 10-27-07, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If this book is even remotely like his book of essays 'Silent Bob Speaks' then I am going to run out and buy this tomorrow. Finally, a reason for me to read again. Besides the fact that there are plenty of amazing books I own and haven't read yet that are probably much more compelling than blog posts by Kevin Smith.
Old 10-30-07, 01:46 PM
Cool New Member

Essentially this is a diary of his life up till when he was in Die Hard 4

it recounts some cool things like the "Me and My Shadow" saga and making Clerks 2 and such....but you also get entries that ramble on about how he's basically gone from being a low-rent fanboy to being a high-house owning fanboy.

I love his movies and all that, but from his "Evening with" dvds and from reading blogs that he's written....he comes off like an asshole. I know that in between Dogma and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back his fame just exploded and he's riding it to the fullest, which is cool because he earned it. Still, reading about him acting in Catch and Release (he was pretty good in it) he comes off like a bit of a prima-donna (enjoying facials and hair-washings after getting in a hissy-fit because they want him on set for a couple more days than he wanted to be.....I thought that was what an actor was supposed to do....good thing he's not an actor).

Also some of the stuff is just a little to personal. When the man recounts his day, he recounts all of it (including jerking off onto his wife's ass so as not to disturb her sleep). The book does provide a handy little reference in the back to skip to the best parts.

All in all, not a bad bathroom read. You can take a shit and read about Kevin Smith taking a shit (happens more than you'd think).
Old 10-30-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While i thought the 2nd Evening With... set was a little weaker i completely love both of the sets and would buy any more the guy puts out. I thought he was pretty funny and doesn't come off as too big an ass.
Old 10-30-07, 03:03 PM
Cool New Member

i felt like he was sort of arrogant....brushing off people with completely legit questions to launch into a joke...then when someone would make a joke, he would act like "this is my show...fuck off"

also...I don't know if anyone else picked up on it, but in Evening Harder....the man says "sir" so much that it becomes ridiculous

my favorite part out of any of them was the shady guy in the first one who goes "when y'all comin' to Wyoming...we might as well fuckin' get it on" and kevin asks him "are you matthew McConaughey?"