Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone here concerned about the looming WGA strike?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-07, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I sure as hell am. This could potentially kill this TV season. Depending on how long this strike lasts, we could potentially have only 1/2 the episodes of our favorite shows. Get ready for a winter and spring of lots of repeats, if this happens. It could also kill alot of projects in development. But I do have to side with the writers since that have been screwed by the studios for years.

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Talks between Hollywood writers and studios abruptly broke off for the weekend, dimming hopes of averting a strike that could cripple the television industry.

The Writers Guild of America has been in talks since July with studios represented by the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers. Negotiations lasted only about an hour on Friday and were not scheduled to resume until Tuesday.

In statements Friday, each side accused the other of intransigence and expressed frustration at the sluggish pace of negotiations.

The writers' contract expires Oct. 31. Studios and TV networks have accelerated filming of shows and movies and begun stockpiling scripts in case of a strike. The last strike in 1988 lasted 22 weeks, and losses to the industry were put at $500 million.

The sticking points include a proposal to delay paying residuals on movies and TV shows until producers have recouped their costs, guild negotiators said.

The guild also is proposing doubling payments on profits made from DVD sales and providing union pay and benefits to writers working in reality television and on basic cable shows.

The two sides also remain far apart when it comes to setting pay for reality TV shows, and for work distributed online and to portable devices such as cell phones.

The studios say they need time to determine which models of digital distribution are likely to be profitable.

"We have had six across-the-table sessions and have been met with only silence and stonewalling," said J. Nicholas Counter III, president of the motion picture alliance.

"The WGA leadership is hidebound to strike. We are farther apart today than when we started, and the only outcome we see is a disaster," he said.

The writers decried the plan for residual payments.

"Our members will not stand for that," the guild said. "The entertainment industry is successful and growing like never before. Writers, whose creativity is at the heart of that success and growth, are committed to sharing in it."

Last edited by DJariya; 10-08-07 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-08-07, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
But you'd get a lot of new up and coming writers not part of the guild. Someone could be the next Brannon Braga!
Old 10-08-07, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk God

But, in order to work on these major TV shows and for the studios, don't you have to join the Guild?
Old 10-08-07, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Not at all. As the above poster said, there is plently of talent out there that can fill the shoes.
Old 10-08-07, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk God

I think it would hurt shows where the creator/showrunner is also the head writer, which probably means they are a member of the WGA. This would probably affect Grey's Anatomy/Private Practice since Shonda Rhimes writes most of the episodes and is the showrunner as well. I doubt she would want someone who's not part of her writing staff bastardizing her shows.
Old 10-08-07, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
I think it would hurt shows where the creator/showrunner is also the head writer, which probably means they are a member of the WGA. This would probably affect Grey's Anatomy/Private Practice since Shonda Rhimes writes most of the episodes and is the showrunner as well. I doubt she would want someone who's not part of her writing staff bastardizing her shows.
ABC might not care too much if the alternative is shutting down production and ending the season early.
Old 10-08-07, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If this happens to "Lost", wouldn't it derail the entire shows actual plotline? I don't see ABC replacing those writers.
Old 10-08-07, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Lost started production this summer. However, I doubt they would have completed all 16 episodes by November. This will definitely hurt them as well as 24.
Old 10-08-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not concerned. There's plenty I need to catch up on with Netflix.
Old 10-08-07, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Is this gonna hurt The Office? Most of their writers are actors and producers on the show.
Old 10-08-07, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the WGA strikes, does Tina Fey strike?
Old 10-08-07, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
The WGA tried this a decade or two ago, and when they walked out the networks responded by creating "reality" programming. Today, we've got Survivor, Dancing with the Stars, I Love NY, the Batchelor, Dancing with Surviving Batchelors, Big Brother, Big Brother's Dancing Batchelor, I Love Big Brother's Dancing Batchelor, The Amazing Race, Pimp My Ride, Dog The Bounty Hunter, Pimp My Dog's Ride, Miami Ink, Pimp My Surviving Batchelor's Dancing Dog's Ride, Ink My Batchelor, The Apprentice, My Batchelor's Apprentice, Twikoff, Deadliest Catch, Beauty and the Geek, Beauty and the Surviving Apprentice's Pimped Bounty Hunter, Fear Factor, Hell's Kitchen, Supernanny, Super Fearful Nanny Factor, Beauty and the Amazing Dog Race, Kid Nation, Hell's Nation, Kid Kitchen, Kids Fearing Super Batchelor Nannys, Boot Camp, Amish In The City, I Love Amish Batchelors and the Amazing Beauty Nannys, Nanny 911, Sunset Tan, and The Deadliest Amish Apprentice's Pimped Dog Race.

But more importantly, if not for the last WGA strike we'd not have The Soup.
Old 10-08-07, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Might be good for Saturday Night Live. They could upgrade by bringing monkeys in to write.
Old 10-08-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
I doubt she would want someone who's not part of her writing staff bastardizing her shows.
Originally Posted by Seantn
If this happens to "Lost", wouldn't it derail the entire shows actual plotline? I don't see ABC replacing those writers.
You fail to realize that shows come equiped with a show bible. And the bible is updated each season. And as long as there are producers and executive producers, the show will remain on track.. sometimes for worse, sometimes for better.
Old 10-08-07, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
I see it as a ray of hope that Heroes may finally get some good writers on board.
Old 10-08-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If the last strike happened a decade or more ago, there is no way The Soup came about as a result. Talk Soup may have come about as the result, but that's not the same as The Soup no matter how much revisionist history E! might want to play. It came about years after Talk Soup was dead and had a completely different name its first few weeks.
Old 10-08-07, 03:56 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'm always amused when people who make an insane amount of money go on strike. Note to networks: if the strike happens I'll pump out shitty scripts for your unfunny sitcoms at half the price your current "writers" are making.

WIFE: Honey, take out the trash.
[AUDIENCE CHUCKLES]
HUSBAND: Can't right now, I'm watching the game!
[AUDIENCE LAUGHS]
WIFE: If you don't, I'll withhold sex!
AUDIENCE: Oooooooooooooh!
HUSBAND: *sigh* Well, okay.
[AUDIENCE APPLAUDS]
Old 10-08-07, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If the strike does happen and it lasts a long time (like up to six months), don't be surprised we see the following:

1) "Supersized" TV seasons (essentially late winter 2008 to May 2009).

2) Some films due summer 2008 could be pushed back to late fall 2008 or early 2009.
Old 10-08-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes.

The last WGA strike created a wave of reality and gameshow crap that we still have to live with to this day. Culture, always on the decline anyway, took a steeper nosedive than usual.

God only knows what utter feces they've got in store for us this time, or whether society can survive getting that much stupider in the course of a single year.

Old 10-08-07, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm always amused when people who make an insane amount of money go on strike. Note to networks: if the strike happens I'll pump out shitty scripts for your unfunny sitcoms at half the price your current "writers" are making.

WIFE: Honey, take out the trash.
[AUDIENCE CHUCKLES]
HUSBAND: Can't right now, I'm watching the game!
[AUDIENCE LAUGHS]
WIFE: If you don't, I'll withhold sex!
AUDIENCE: Oooooooooooooh!
HUSBAND: *sigh* Well, okay.
[AUDIENCE APPLAUDS]
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7GOPjYiSNU0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7GOPjYiSNU0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Catchphrase!
Old 10-08-07, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by kenbuzz
But more importantly, if not for the last WGA strike we'd not have The Soup.
I think you have Greg Kinnear to thank for that.
Old 10-08-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by devilshalo
You fail to realize that shows come equiped with a show bible. And the bible is updated each season. And as long as there are producers and executive producers, the show will remain on track.. sometimes for worse, sometimes for better.
But, alot of show producers and Executive Producers are also writers and members of the WGA.

Ex: Shawn Ryan, who's the EP and head writer for The Unit, is one of the head-honchos of the WGA committee seeking a new deal.
Old 10-08-07, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Patrick G
If the WGA strikes, does Tina Fey strike?
She has to, she's a member of the WGA since she writes alot of the episodes of 30 Rock.
Old 10-08-07, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk God

If this strike does happen by November 1, most TV shows are only going to have 10 or 11 episodes in the can.
Old 10-08-07, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This would probably affect Grey's Anatomy/Private Practice since Shonda Rhimes writes most of the episodes and is the showrunner as well. I doubt she would want someone [] bastardizing her shows.
Too late.

das

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.