Heroes -- "Kindred" -- 10.08.2007

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-07, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Kindred"

Upon his return to New York, Suresh is unnerved to find an undiscovered Issac Mendez painting that foretells death of someone close to him. Both Claire and H.R.G. pursue their own secret personal agendas. Determined to make it to the U.S., Maya uses her deadly abilities to free Alejandro from a Mexican jail. Ando returns to his job in Japan and makes a happy discovery. Meanwhile, in Japan's past, just when Hiro had written off Kensei, his childhood hero surprises him. Niki and Micah leave Las Vegas in an attempt to start over. Later, Niki and a lost Hero individually strike shady bargains to reach their goals. Two familiar people with abilities make an unexpected return.
Old 10-08-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting opinion and letter to TV guide. I have to say I agree with the viewer. The first two episodes have been pretty bad.

Question: Scattered. Slow. Confusing. This season of Heroes has been downright awful, telling too many stories with too little progression and too many plot holes in each episode. Last week alone, Matt, Claire, Suresh, Hiro, Peter, HRG, Angela Petrelli, and Maya and Alejandro each had their own storyline and little-to-no interaction with any other character. We still haven't seen Niki and Micah or Sylar this season and many of the actors signed in guest roles over the summer, including Kristen Bell, have yet to make an appearance. I understand that Heroes isn't the type of show to kill off favorite characters (even if they fly into the sky and explode) for lack of nerve or whatever, but wouldn't it have been smart to clean house at least a little before the start of the new season? When second occurrences of superpowers are popping up in the show's 25th episode, isn't the ensemble a little too large?— Ken

Matt Roush: Far be it from me to defend a show that most of its fans seem ready and willing to accept, no matter its inconsistencies and unevenness and the way it skitters all over the map most weeks. But "slow"? Hardly. Scattered, yes. Confusing, but of course. When hasn't Heroes been a complete jumble? (Maybe the "Company Man" episode, still a series high point.) But I agree that the last thing Heroes would seem to need is to add more chaos to the mix when it can't even service many of the characters it has already established. I guess that's part of the show's "charm." Time/space continuum issues and logic aside, I have enjoyed the Hiro/Kensei storyline in ancient Japan quite a bit, although I really got excited when Kensei was struck by all those arrows. How daring. Until he suddenly healed and it wasn't. Once again, it looks like Heroes is making up rules about characters and their powers whenever it's convenient. And people (and Emmy panels) prefer this show to Lost? Whatever. Still, Hiro is fun. And his dad is dead! For good, it appears. Hmm. Also liking the Claire-and-family storyline about trying to keep her powers under wraps in a new high school, while the flying stalker classmate looks on. HRG working at the copy store is a riot, part of the season's trend of trapping characters (like Chuck of Chuck, and Sam and pals of Reaper) in dead-end jobs with merciless supervisors. But once again, it is absolutely a fair criticism of Heroes that it has overstacked the deck with an abundance characters of unequal interest (can't really say I've been missing Niki or Micah, who appear to be back this week). This isn't so much an embarrassment of riches as it is a puzzlement. But again, what else is new?
Old 10-08-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree with Ken.
Old 10-08-07, 12:33 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It looks like they're going the Lost route of "front load the season with 100 questions and mysteries -- answer 20 during the season, but for each question answered raise 2 more".
Old 10-08-07, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by starseed1981
I agree with Ken.
I wouldn't go so far as to call the season awful. We're only 2 episodes in. But if the next 2 are like the last 2, then it might be safe to declare Heroes a one-hit wonder.
Old 10-08-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Crap, I've still got the first two episodes sitting on the Tivo unwatched, and here comes another one. I might just have to pass on this season...my interest just isn't there anymore, and it doesn't sound like I'm missing much.
Old 10-08-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 354 Likes on 229 Posts
I think they should have killed off Nikki and Micah since no one liked them anyway, and NOT brought on the Wonder Twins (whose extra power seems to be the power to bore us to death--they make Suresh's power of exposition seem interesting).
Old 10-08-07, 12:54 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Speaking of Suresh, you know it's a bad episode when he has the most interesting storyline!
Old 10-08-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tasha99
I think they should have killed off Nikki and Micah since no one liked them anyway, and NOT brought on the Wonder Twins (whose extra power seems to be the power to bore us to death--they make Suresh's power of exposition seem interesting).
You know, you don't have to kill them off. They can fade away, too.

I don't think anyone would have had a problem if they had just never seen them again.
Old 10-08-07, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
Well once again, when/if they meet up with the main cast, it should be interesting. Something tells me a lot of people will try to meet Suresh, what with his dad's book falling into everybody's lap.

Also, I agree Nikki /Micah/D.L. were boring as hell, but they had good moments.

Examples:

Nikki fighting Parkman in the Diamond Heist episode, and later meeting him and HRG, infinitely better than anything she had done before.

That 10 second part where Hiro saved D.L. while D.L. morphed into a burning car was entertaining, although the previews made it look like they'd be together the whole episode.

Micah's interactions with that environment morphing chick were much better than when he was at home whining about playing Scrabble.

Linderman/Nikki/D.L. showdown.

Sure these are only about four good moments, but if we have a friendship between Micah and Molly, and have D.L. and Nikki in NYC, we could have more and better scenes with them, involving everybody, and less of the family struggle stuff.
Old 10-08-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also agree with Ken. This season has been terrible so far and I am only going to give it a few more episodes to get better before I stop watching.
Old 10-08-07, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess I'm one of the few that thought last week's episode was entertaining. It sucks that
Spoiler:
we have to see Micah and Nikki again tonight
, but it is going to be awesome to see
Spoiler:
Sylar
Old 10-08-07, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, WHATS IN THE BOX?!
Old 10-08-07, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by Blaster1
Also, WHATS IN THE BOX?!
Prison Break current event/speculation
Spoiler:
Dr. Sarah's head?

Man, did that kill the joke...
Old 10-08-07, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Last week i actually regretted switching over at 9 to Heroes from Dancing with the Stars(it runs from 8 to 9:30 and is the talk of our office so i hate to be left out ).I barely hung in with last season but there was always enough to keep me hooked but i was one of the ones disappointed in the finale and the 1st two eps havent impressed me at all.Ive always said about Heroes its a great idea for a show thats not turning into a great show.
Old 10-08-07, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well maybe they will listen to the fans? How many episodes have they actually filmed already?
Old 10-08-07, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Blaster1
Well maybe they will listen to the fans? How many episodes have they actually filmed already?
I know they did at least 6, from an interview with Quinto a few weeks ago on AICN, but they probably have more in the can now.

*waits for "Yeah, literally in the can!" comments*
Old 10-08-07, 06:10 PM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

My episodes would probably still be on my recorder if it wasn't for Kensei. With David Anders only guest starring, when he goes I may also go unless things pick-up.

The twins from mexico are regular cast members right? We so could have done without them. Just has Kristen Bell & Anders as the newbies.
Old 10-08-07, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a feeling there will be a lot of eating of the words (or just forgetting them) once we're at around episode 10. We'll see.
Old 10-08-07, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The problem in after as many episodes last season as there has been this year, you know where everything is headed. There was a nuke going off that had to be stopped. You knew no matter what everything would lead to that. This year what is the centralized theme? There is no sense that this season is building to anything other than catching the boogeyman or whoever he is and maybe the guy that killed Hiro's dad.
Old 10-08-07, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

how many more heroes are we gonna get introduced to? Why can't they just work with the ones they already had?
Old 10-08-07, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OMG how gay
is it over yet?
no, only halfway through the show

please make it end
Old 10-08-07, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, half way through the third episode and I really don't like where this show is going. The whole Claire & flying boy scene was horrible. Not to mention Peter trying to get his power to work. It was ripped straight from SpiderMan.

I'll keep watching, but so far the only interesting is the Hiro storyline and the scene where Claire cut her toe off. And really the Hiro story is not that interesting.

As another poster mentioned, there is no real point to this season. We knew the bomb for season 1, but have nothing to build to this year. It's just running in place.

Last edited by 7Keys; 10-08-07 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-08-07, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the show is going to pick up soon IMO.

i'm not a big fan of
Spoiler:
sylar
but everyone else around here seems to enjoy him, so i am sure that will keep people around and make them happy hen he gets going again.
Old 10-08-07, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Peter channeling his inner Vader and force choking. Nice.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.