Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Tekkon Kinkreet' (Blu-ray)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 10-07-07, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read John Sinnott's DVD review of Tekkon Kinkreet at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=30839 and...

I can't help but wonder if John has ever seen Otomo's Akira, and if so can't believe he could have enjoyed such a similarly incomplete adaptation. If not following the source material completely is a film or series' downfall then a great many reviews need amending not only in the venue of anime but in all of film and television.

Moreover I must mention my great confusion to the wording of your "final thoughts" wherein you advise against showing Tekkonkinkreet to those whom you wish to dispell the illusion that anime is all about giant robots and magical girls. Am I to assume that Tekkonkinkreet is a cavalcade of giant robots and magical girls? If not, I question the inclusion such an irrelevent remark. The point of reviewing things is to give an opinion not to mislead the audience.

Last edited by mifuneral; 10-07-07 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-07-07, 06:51 PM
Defunct Account

Yep, I saw Akira. It wasn't as bad as Tekkonkinkreet and so I enjoyed it. Read the manga too. I'm not sure why you think that being incomplete is the movie's downfall. I certainly didn't say that in my review. I said that the adaptation was poor, and that was the problem. To quote myself: "ultimately this project fails because of the heavily flawed script". As a matter of fact, I complained that they kept too much of the manga in the movie.

As for the last section, read it again and I'm sure you'll understand what I'm saying: this is not a good movie to show someone who claims to not like anime. I think many mainstream viewers would actively hate this. (Which is what I went on to say in my next sentence.)
Old 10-07-07, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've read the last section several times. I'm not missing anything. The comment about giant robots and magical girls is just as irrelevent as ever. It sounds like you're trying to make some grand statement, but you're failing miserably.

The problem you seem to have with Tekkonkinkreet is not that it's archetypical, but rather the reverse- that it's so different.

As for the point about the adaptations, your remark about the film adapting episodes made it seem as though you were complaining that it only adapted specific parts of the manga rather than the whole.
Old 10-08-07, 06:58 AM
Defunct Account

Originally Posted by mifuneral
As for the point about the adaptations, your remark about the film adapting episodes made it seem as though you were complaining that it only adapted specific parts of the manga rather than the whole.

"One of the things an adaptation should do is get to the core story that
is being told and focus on that. Unfortunately Anthony Weintraub,
who created the script, wasn't able to do that. He didn't prune the
600 page story down to its essence, and chose to keep most of the characters and just omit several vignettes instead."

From that quote you thought I was complaining that he didn't adapt the whole manga??? Okay... What I was actually doing is complaining that he kept too much in.

As for the fact that it was different. It was. I don't have a problem with that at all. But different doesn't equal good. The manga was different and good. This film was different and not so good. In the review I list the reasons the movie fails and where it succeeds in my opinion. I never say that it's too different or freaky or that I didn't understand it. If you sleep better at night thinking that those are the reasons I didn't like it that's fine with me.
Old 10-08-07, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just have a problem with people making allusions to things that are completely irrelevent to a film while at the same time maintaining the illusion that they are some sort of authority on the subject.
Old 10-08-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The main thing is this:

There is nothing special about Tekkon Kinkreet. It's as generic as every other Japanese animated film (except for Miyazaki) that deals with any of the following repetitive characteristics - excellent animation, poor story/dialogue, poor flow, apocolyptic powers/destruction, robots, clones, dreams, mainstream, non-mainstream, wierd, little powerful girls or kids, etc. They are all the same. There is only one recent Japanese animated movie that is different and better than all: MIND GAME

The only reason to recommend this film to anyone (whether they like mainstream films or underground wierd films) is to see good animation. That's about it.