Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is something happening with Kiss Me Deadly?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-07, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The DVD of Kiss Me Deadly has been OOP for a little bit and selling very high on Amazon.com. Now, however, the prices have dropped all the way down to $10. Whats going on? Is there another release in the works? Maybe something with the original ending that was reported. ???
Old 10-06-07, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It could also be possible that the movie was reissued as is with no press. I ordered one online a few months ago for about $15.
Old 10-06-07, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by erichbergen
The DVD of Kiss Me Deadly has been OOP for a little bit and selling very high on Amazon.com. Now, however, the prices have dropped all the way down to $10. Whats going on? Is there another release in the works? Maybe something with the original ending that was reported. ???
I haven't heard any news about a new release either but if prices have dropped that low on Amazon, something must be afoot.

The original ending has already been released on DVD (and previously on Laser Disc and VHS in 1997).

The 2001 MGM Vintage Classics DVD of Kiss Me Deadly featured the fully restored original ending. The alternate/shortened ending was included as a "Special Feature."

What's needed now is a new anamorphic transfer.

For more information on the 2001 DVD release, check Savant's review here on DVD Talk:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s286kiss.html
Old 10-06-07, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Had no idea this was going for so much, and that it had dropped lately either. I hope there is a new anamorphic transfer coming. Coincidentally I just added my copy in the exchange forum earlier today.
Old 10-06-07, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
probably end up in the MGM noir series
Old 10-07-07, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron
probably end up in the MGM noir series
That would be great. I had been recently thinking of picking up a copy from another region.
Old 10-07-07, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are only three seller listing new copies for sub $35. It's possible those sellers are just trying to unload, or listed without realizing they had an OOP dvd. Perhaps.
Old 10-08-07, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Some sellers like Caiman.com seem to have an automated listing system that will put an OOP item up for sale at the old, low price even though they don't have it in stock and have no way of getting it. Sometimes other sellers see that and lower their prices, not realizing that Caiman.com is selling stuff they don't even have.
Old 10-08-07, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It says in stock at Overstock.com also. Thanks for bringing the low prices to my attention. Went to order this a while back only to find it OOP and expensive.
Old 10-08-07, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by chente
That would be great. I had been recently thinking of picking up a copy from another region.
Why would this be great (aside from availability)? The MGM Noir "series" has so far been three films priced at $20 retail and without any special features. Kiss Me Deadly, when in print, was only $15 retail, just like the Fox Film Noir series which also had at least a commentary and liner notes on every release. The MGM Noir line has been a decidedly poor value.
Old 10-09-07, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've gotten shipping notice from Overstock.
Old 10-09-07, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by souvenir
Why would this be great (aside from availability)? The MGM Noir "series" has so far been three films priced at $20 retail and without any special features. Kiss Me Deadly, when in print, was only $15 retail, just like the Fox Film Noir series which also had at least a commentary and liner notes on every release. The MGM Noir line has been a decidedly poor value.
A new anamorphic transfer would be nice, and hopefully they will just port over the already existing extras at least. $15 is price drop, it was originally $20 when it came out I believe. The MGM film noir series is $14.99 at amazon now, so it's pretty much the same so far, isn't it? I know the lack of extras are disappointing but at least the transfers are pretty nice. Maybe they will be down to $9.99 soon, that might make it a little easier to absorb. And there are 4 movies so far
Old 10-09-07, 01:50 PM

I was going to guess the newer supply could be pirated discs. Smaller dealers, such as the resellers on Amazon, probably buy their stock from a wider array of distributors than Amazon itself, which doesn't carry it. Some pirated copies are so good, they even include what looks like the original stickers on the shrinkwrap. If Overstock carries it, maybe Fox/MGM found copies in the warehouse and are trying to unload them. Which might be a sign they have an idea to reissue it sometime in the future, with new features.
Old 11-01-07, 08:39 AM
Banned

Borders has an exclusive MGM Film Noir Boxset which includes Muholland Falls, True Confessions, Night of the Hunter and Kiss Me Deadly.