Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

D. Giggles (twisted terror collection) different framing

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-07, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D. Giggles (twisted terror collection) different framing

Anyone else notice that Dr. Giggles is in 1.78:1 and not the Super 35 2:35:1? I checked my widescreen LD and no
picture is missing but the extra matte bars at the top and bottom have been removed and slightly more picture info is present.

Laser Disc:
(quality and colour is better on actual laserdisc, focus on framing.)

DVD:

It doesn't affect the framing too much and Super 35 allows for both formats but it does differ from the theatrical presentation of 2.35:1.
Does anyone know why this was done? On the back it does say it's presented in the "Scope" ratio.
Old 10-05-07, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 896 Likes on 721 Posts
These captures prove what I suspected. The matte has just been opened up, thereby exposing more picture information in the top and bottom of the frame. The composition is no longer scope, but at least it is still anamorphic, while losing no picture information on the sides. Obviously this is much, much better than a scanned and cropped 2.35 to 1.85 result. Can you post other screencaps of other scenes (namely one with special effects), so we can be sure the matte is opened in those scenes also?
Old 10-05-07, 04:11 PM

That picture quality beats the crap out of the old dvd I have. I need to upgrade now
Old 10-05-07, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still like the FS version better. It fills up my whole TV.
Old 10-05-07, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I like the WS version better. It fills up my whole TV.
Old 10-05-07, 05:02 PM

More comparisons

Again, the captures of the laserdisc is not an accurate representation of the colours and quality, but it does correctly
represent the framing. I may find a way some day to get much better captures of the LD.

Top: LD
Bottom: DVD

I'll have main title effects shots later on.

Old 10-05-07, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
With screen caps like that for LD I don't see why people ever got excited LD. Those screencaps look like what I saw for a few days after having eye surgery.
Old 10-05-07, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
With screen caps like that for LD I don't see why people ever got excited LD. Those screencaps look like what I saw for a few days after having eye surgery.
Because back in 1993, LD picture was much much better than VHS and we did not have DVD, HiDef Tv, 16x9 TV etc. Back then, it was the superior format.

BTW, doesnt this compromise the director and the DP's framing of the feature?
Old 10-05-07, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dsa_shea

Notice he said the color and quality was better on the laserdisc itself than the captures from it. So maybe he just used a digital camera and photographed it from the tv,and thus the quality is alot murkier looking than if it was a direct capture from the disc itself.

So I'm sure the laserdisc doesn't look as bad as the photos imply. But after seeing the captures and framing comparison. I may just get the dvd sometime instead of searching for the laserdisc. Since the framing doesn't look too bad,and there is not much we can do about it at this point.
Old 10-05-07, 06:03 PM
Zbu

Not to be too stupid about this, but the DVD looks pretty nice. At least it's not fullframe.

And I'm not regretting getting the whole thing for $38 from DeepDiscount, either. Woot!