Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Dracula/Frankenstein 75th Anniv. $13.72 each @ Walmart

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-07, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dracula/Frankenstein 75th Anniv. $13.72 each @ Walmart

I just saw yet another new Halloween display at Walmart replacing the previous 5.00 one in the aisle, which included Lifeboat, Friday the 13ths, Omens, etc.

It had the 75th Anniversary Universal Legacy Editions of Dracula and Frankenstein for 13.72 each. They also had the new 2 disc edition of Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula for 13.72. Other than that, I noticed they had a few titles with lenticular covers, like Carrie: Special Edition, for 9.50.
Old 10-05-07, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by theflicker
It had the 75th Anniversary Universal Legacy Editions of Dracula and Frankenstein for 13.72 each.
I noticed this too, I actually picked both of them up but they are sitting in my car with the receit right now because I can't decide whether or not to keep them. I asked on another forum about these sets and the difference between them and the legacy editions but no one has replied.

They also had the Omen collection for 19.95 and the Chucky Collection (all the films except the first one) for 13.72, 2-disc OOP From Hell for I believe 13.72 as well, and the 2-disc metal case Texas Chainsaw remake for 6 something.

Last edited by SeymourGams; 10-05-07 at 02:05 AM.
Old 10-05-07, 02:08 AM
Banned

What do these Frank & Drac normally sell for?
Old 10-05-07, 05:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wm lopez
What do these Frank & Drac normally sell for?
Quick tip: Search DVD Talk Reviews & scroll to the bottom & you can see a comparison chart for a lot of the major retailers.

Looks like DeepDiscount has the Anniversay editions for $21.36. However, Amazon has them for $13.99 each. They might be a good option if you don't mind to wait, depending upon your sales tax rate. Ours is nearly 10%, so I could save about $2.50 in tax if I got them from Amazon.

As far as Coppola's Dracula movie, Deep Discount wants $21.35 while Amazon has it for $19.99, so Wal-Mart's price beats both by a country mile.

This might be threadcrapping, but if you really want a bargain and you do the Columbia House thing, I just rejoined & got both the Frankenstein & Dracula Anniversary editions as enrollments. Their prices will average out anywhere from $5.50-$7 each depending upon how many other offers I take adantage of when fulfilling the obligations (such as free shipping, B1G1, etc.).

Also ordered the Bram Stoker's Drac set for $7.95 with free shipping on another membership (along with a ton of other new special edition multi-disc special editions for $7.95 each). I ordered around 20 DVDs near midnight Monday night (when the free shipping ended) and got almost all of them yesterday (Thursday)!!! Again, don't mean to change the subject form the Wal-Mart discussion, which are good prices...just pointing out that you CAN get them for nearly half (or even less) of the advertised WM prices if you're a CH member or can get an enrollment application through.

Last edited by creekdipper; 10-05-07 at 05:46 AM.
Old 10-05-07, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
both are available for $0.49 at CH
Old 10-05-07, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I got these two finally from CH. Turns out to be a great deal in the end.
Old 10-05-07, 05:55 PM
Zbu

So what is the difference between these and the Legacy editions? Better covers, single sided discs, etc?
Old 10-05-07, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Zbu
So what is the difference between these and the Legacy editions? Better covers, single sided discs, etc?
Yes. I think the extras were also not available on the legacy editions, but I will admit this is rough memory, not definitive truth...
Old 10-05-07, 06:04 PM
Zbu

Well, I know that since the 75th Anniversary of Dracula comes with Spanish Dracula, that's half of the Legacy Set right there.
Old 10-05-07, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

A few comments [and some "It's Wal-Mart so buyer beware" warnings]:

The 75th Anniversary sets of Dracula & Frankenstein have beautiful packaging and extras exclusive only to those sets. The older Legacy sets, however, have additional films. I gladly own both.

Lenticular covers for Carrie, Jeepers Creepers 1 & 2, The Howling, and many others - HOWEVER, be careful - the lenticular cover for Pumpkinhead is for a fool-screen DVD.

There are many box sets on sale as well, but buyer be careful.

(1) The Dreadtime Stories 3-pack with Wolf, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, and Sleepwalkers has a fool-screen disc for Frankenstein

(2) In fact, check any box set carefully from Sony, as they're notorious for fool-screen releases (and some fool-screen dvds released with widescreen packaging). This has been reported here at DVDTalk with other Dreadtime Stories 2 DVD sets.

(3) The Chucky Collection is nice, but the last two films are the rated versions and not the unrated director's cut versions.
Old 10-05-07, 06:16 PM
Zbu

It's a damn shame that Sony is using Dreadtime Stories to toss out FS transfers. I was the one who outed them with their crappy Silent Hill release. I notice that the WS version is still more expensive than the whole Dreadtime Stories release. A real shame.

And a three pack? I would have been all over that. Now? Grumble.
Old 10-06-07, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by mrpeavey
The 75th Anniversary sets of Dracula & Frankenstein have beautiful packaging and extras exclusive only to those sets. The older Legacy sets, however, have additional films. I gladly own both.
If you were to suggest either the 75th or the Legacy, which would you? If I care more about the original films and not the sequels, should I keep my 75th versions? Can the extra movies in the legacy sets be bought seperately do you know?

(3) The Chucky Collection is nice, but the last two films are the rated versions and not the unrated director's cut versions
That is why I returned the set. Those two films were the ones I actually wanted, I love Jennifer Tilly more than I should, and I'd rather get the special editions even if I have to pay a little more.
Old 10-06-07, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

(3) The Chucky Collection is nice, but the last two films are the rated versions and not the unrated director's cut versions.
I don't think there's an unrated director's cut version of Bride of Chucky, is there? I think only Seed of Chucky is available in an unrated director's cut.

Rob
Old 10-06-07, 02:20 AM
Suspended

Lenticular covers for Carrie, Jeepers Creepers 1 & 2, The Howling, and many others - HOWEVER, be careful - the lenticular cover for Pumpkinhead is for a fool-screen DVD.
But there wasn't a widescreen version of Pumpkinhead released, MGM only released the fool-screen version. So if anyone wants the movie they can't really avoid getting this version, unless MGM/Fox decides to release a special edition but who knows if that'll ever happen.
Old 10-06-07, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts
Originally Posted by SeymourGams
If you were to suggest either the 75th or the Legacy, which would you? If I care more about the original films and not the sequels, should I keep my 75th versions? Can the extra movies in the legacy sets be bought seperately do you know?
I've not seen either of the 75th Anniversary versions and so can not speak authoritatively as to the merits between the two but I can provide you with this...

From a commentary on "Dracula":
The extra features on this 2-disc 75th anniversary edition of a film classic are a mix of previously available extras and some new stuff. But these are trumped by the news about the film itself: as befits one of the legendary titles of Hollywood history, Dracula looks noticeably cleaner and brighter than in its previous DVD releases, and the soundtrack also seems improved. As with previous DVD packages, the Spanish version of Dracula, shot concurrently with the English-language version, is included. It's a cool movie in its own right and essential viewing for vampire-movie fans.

Also returning from previous DVDs: the option to watch the film with Philip Glass's fascinating original score (the film had no score except for source music and "Swan Lake" over the titles); this is a one-time-only experience, as nothing could improve on the original's eerie patches of silence. Also back are horror scholar David J. Skal's contributions: a commentary track and a featurette called The Road to Dracula, which gives the history of Bram Stoker's character.

New to this edition: a 36-minute documentary, Lugosi: the Dark Prince, a decent career overview with comments from enthusiasts including director Joe Dante; "Monster Tracks," a feature that allows for pop-up onscreen info-bites (a distraction for the short of attention); a feature commentary by Steve Haberman, horror author and a screenwriter on Dracula: Dead and Loving It (lots of context, but Haberman also gives a spirited and rather welcome rebuke to recent conventional wisdom that favors the Spanish film over the Browning version); and Universal Horror, a 95-minute documentary by Kevin Brownlow. As good as Brownlow's work generally is, this 1998 doc, narrated by Kenneth Branagh, is choppy, and ranges far afield from Universal's great run of horror movies. It's worth seeing for clips from very rare films and for interviews with the likes of Fay Wray, Gloria Stuart, Ray Bradbury, and Curt Siodmak. --Robert Horton

From a commentary on "Frankenstein":
A 75th Anniversary Edition of Frankenstein is a fine gesture toward a film classic, although fans who have already bought Universal's previous Frankenstein DVDs might want to weigh how much they need to upgrade an already acceptable package. The picture quality of Frankenstein in the "Classic Monsters Collection" and "Legacy Collection" was already pretty good (unlike Dracula, which was significantly improved for its 75th-anniversary issue). A few new features are added here, joining a roster of previously available extras.

Returning from prior DVDs: The Frankenstein Files, an in-depth history of both literary and cinematic incarnations of Mary Shelley's monster; a feature commentary with Rudy Behlmer; various archival items; and Boo!, a comedy short with horror clips and spoofy narration. Added for this anniversary edition is a new commentary with Sir Christopher Frayling, who brings a spirited and learned attack to talking about the film. Also new is Universal Horror, a 95-minute documentary by Kevin Brownlow. As good as Brownlow's work generally is, this 1998 doc, narrated by Kenneth Branagh, is choppy, and ranges far afield from Universal's great run of horror movies. It's worth seeing for clips from very rare films and for interviews with the likes of Fay Wray, Gloria Stuart, Ray Bradbury, and Curt Siodmak. (It's also included in the Dracula anniversary set.) And there's "monster Tracks," a pop-up feature that gives onscreen info-bites about the film while you're watching it.

The best of the new features is Karloff: The Gentle Monster, a 38-minute documentary on the subject of the film's iconic star, whose career was made by the success of Frankenstein. It pays fond tribute to Karloff's beloved status as a horror giant, and makes the case that his career had real variety. Frayling and director Joe Dante are among the talking heads paying homage. --Robert Horton

...Can the extra movies in the legacy sets be bought seperately do you know?
House of Dracula - Currently only available in the "Legacy Collection"
Dracula's Daughter / Son of Dracula: A 1999 Universal "two-fer".
Bride of Frankenstein - A 1999 release from Universal that is considered sub-par compared to the "Legacy Collection" version.
Son of Frankenstein / The Ghost of Frankenstein - A 1999 Universal "two-fer".
House of Frankenstein / Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman - A 1999 Universal "two-fer".

So, while available in other printings, the best, and cheapest, way to get all the films is really through the legacy collections. However, reports are that Dracula got enough of a boost in the video quality of the 75th Anniversary edition that it is worthy of a double (or triple) dip. I've not been able to find out if the audio missing (2 short sections each only a second or two in length) in the Legacy Collection has made a return with the new version.

If you opt for the Legacy Collections be aware that lots of people report loose disks in the cases along with enough scratches to make some disks unplayable. Others have had problems playing the disks even without scratches. On these, the main feature is a single sided disk and the second disk with the sequels are "flippies". I had no problems with any of the Legacy Collection sets (I own all 6) and ordered them all online.

For those interested, Amazon even has the Dracula/Frankenstein/Wolf-Man Legacy Collection set with the busts available again at a great price.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 10-06-07 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-06-07, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by neosmith20
But there wasn't a widescreen version of Pumpkinhead released, MGM only released the fool-screen version. So if anyone wants the movie they can't really avoid getting this version, unless MGM/Fox decides to release a special edition but who knows if that'll ever happen.
or go region free and get the region 2 version
Old 10-06-07, 07:32 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
or go region free and get the region 2 version
That's true too, I forgot about that version.
Old 10-06-07, 08:01 PM

Can anyone conferm that Bram Stokers Dracula is $13.99 at Wal-Mart. My mom wants a copy and checked today and she didn't see any and no one knew about the new Halloween set up.
Old 10-06-07, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts
Originally Posted by DonTHX1378
Can anyone conferm that Bram Stokers Dracula is $13.99 at Wal-Mart. My mom wants a copy and checked today and she didn't see any and no one knew about the new Halloween set up.
Yes, well actually $13.72 as the initial post indicates. At the one I was in today these were in the rack in the video section between the animated/disney and TV-DVD selections.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 10-06-07 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-06-07, 09:05 PM
BJ

Most reviews I've read recommend the 75th transfer of Dracula, but there is one critic that disagrees:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/articl...a_misfires.htm
Old 10-06-07, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by RobCA
I don't think there's an unrated director's cut version of Bride of Chucky, is there? I think only Seed of Chucky is available in an unrated director's cut.

Rob
There isn't a seperate DVD release but they cut out some of the extras and possibly a small clip from the movie. If you check the DVDtalk review of the set, it mentions it.
Old 10-06-07, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I've not seen either of the 75th Anniversary versions and so can not speak authoritatively as to the merits between the two but I can provide you with this...
Thank you, that was beyond helpful!
Old 10-07-07, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts
Has anyone ever found the Legacy edition of Frankenstein for less than ~$20? I've been wanting it for quite awhile (mainly for the better version of Bride of Frankenstein), but have been waiting indefinitely for a price drop.
Old 10-07-07, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by kefrank
Has anyone ever found the Legacy edition of Frankenstein for less than ~$20? I've been wanting it for quite awhile (mainly for the better version of Bride of Frankenstein), but have been waiting indefinitely for a price drop.
Googlecheckout on buy.com etc.