Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone watch the premier of "FIVE DAYS" on HBO tonight?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-03-07, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't even hear about this show until today in the Calendar section of the paper. Watched it tonight and all I can say is WOW. This is going to be a sad, intense show.

Here is the link:

http://www.hbo.com/films/fivedays/index.html

A brief description of the show:

A mother vanishes into thin air. Her children, abandoned in her car, also end up missing. As police search for clues over three gut-wrenching months, the woman's husband and family learn that nobody's quite what they seem. In the end, five days prove critical in solving the case.

Its only 5 episodes and it aired tonight, and airs the next four Tuesdays.

Intense stuff. One hell of a cliffhanger. Can't wait until next week.

For those that missed it, it is available on HBO On Demand tomorrow.
Old 10-03-07, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts
Watched it. I actually didn't hear about it until it was in this weeks what to watch guide in EW.

Thought it was intense and interesting. Lots of characters to juggle so it was a bit difficult at the start to figure out who everyone was and what was going on.
Old 10-03-07, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts
Since HBO re-airs their programs all the time, I will try to record this. It does sound pretty good.
Old 10-30-07, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Interesting drama though there were lots of characters to juggle. I'll spoil the resolution as it appears that so many people weren't watching.

Spoiler:
Honestly, I don't really remember Matt's friend from the first couple of episodes. I assume at some point they must have shown him in the gym while Kyle was there hitting on the police spokesman.

At the beginning of the "fifth day", when they started talking again about the Yugoslavian connection I figured that he must be the killer, especially with all the time he spent around Matt in the last episode.

There were some real complex character moments throughout, and most of the main characters were not always likeable. I'm glad I watched it.
Old 10-30-07, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was a pretty good 5 hours. The main reason I watched it was because it was a British show and I wanted to see how they handled this type of drama.

This was more the viewing of the unravelling of the family during the 79 + days that this took place, instead of a straight up investigation of the disappearances and subsequent murder.

I really thought the mother was kidnapped and we would see over the course of 5 days the resolution of her disappearance. But it was 5 days spread out over 79 + days.

But, it was a change of pace and dealt with a lot of issues, the disappearance of the mother & children, the interacial marriage of her and her husband (who was later questioned about her murder), the bitchy step daughter, the stereotypical pedophile, the overwhelmed police force, the disfunctional grandparents of the children, the white woman who found the black husbands son and then comes onto the husband, and finally the victims ex-husband. What else am I forgetting?

Chris

Last edited by mrpayroll; 10-30-07 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-31-07, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mrpayroll
This was more the viewing of the unravelling of the family during the 79 + days that this took place, instead of a straight up investigation of the disappearances and subsequent murder.

I really thought the mother was kidnapped and we would see over the course of 5 days the resolution of her disappearance. But it was 5 days spread out over 79 + days.

But, it was a change of pace and dealt with a lot of issues, the disappearance of the mother & children, the interacial marriage of her and her husband (who was later questioned about her murder), the bitchy step daughter, the stereotypical pedophile, the overwhelmed police force, the disfunctional grandparents of the children, the white woman who found the black husbands son and then comes onto the husband, and finally the victims ex-husband. What else am I forgetting?

Chris
It was definitely more of a drama than a mystery. The resolution was just pretty much tacked on at the end to resolve it.

As for other characters...well there were all the reporters, the gal at the spa who had the hots for the husband, the pedofile's mother who was friends with the victim's grandfather, the weird dog guy, Tanya's friend who popped back up, Matt's friend who helped out, the police spokeman's roommate who was sleeping with the one cop before he cheats on her, etc, etc.

With so many speaking parts it definitely required you to pay attention.
Old 10-31-07, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm. I totally missed this. Is HBO going to marathon it some time?

EDIT: Looks like they will re-air it in sequence starting November 12th through the 16th at 9pm. So I can get the entire mini-series in one week!

Last edited by rfduncan; 10-31-07 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-31-07, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by rfduncan

EDIT: Looks like they will re-air it in sequence starting November 12th through the 16th at 9pm. So I can get the entire mini-series in one week!
Yes, it's worth it to see this program. We are getting a British perspective and it was interesting to see all of their thousands of cameras at work.

Chris
Old 10-31-07, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
The episodes are also on HBO on demand. I just starting watching this last weekend and think it has been very compelling.
Old 10-31-07, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mysteryfan
The episodes are also on HBO on demand. I just starting watching this last weekend and think it has been very compelling.
Don't read the spoilers. I didn't see the ending coming and it was a little confusing.

Chris