Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

New Line Cinema's 40Th Anniv. Film Collection (11/20/07)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-02-07, 10:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this over at ColumbiaHouse.com
They are reporting this as a 17 disk set so i dont knopw if the bonus disks for many of these films are included or not(my guess would be no..):

"List Price $274.99

(Special Club Price $164.97 )
For four decades, New Line Cinema has brought audiences some of the most memorable movies in film history. From Academy Award®-winning masterpieces to horror classics to groundbreaking comedies and more, there is something for everyone in the New Line vaults. This one-of-a-kind set includes 17 hit movies, plus an exclusive documentary, hosted by Charlie Rose, that takes you behind the scenes of this maverick studio for an insider's view, told through the experiences of some of the industry's most talented filmmakers, actors and studio executives.

Inside the handsome, hardbound collector's book packaging, you'll find:

Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery
Blow
Boogie Nights
Elf
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
The Mask
A Nightmare on Elm Street
The Notebook
Pink Flamingos
The Player
Rush Hour
Seven
Wag the Dog
Wedding Crashers
The Wedding Singer
"

I guess it could be an ok deal if you dont have any of these but I think most dvd collecters have enough of these that this would be rather pointess.
Old 10-02-07, 10:24 PM

Why are they selling this as a celebration of 40 years of New Line when all of the films save two are from the 1990s -2000s?
Old 10-02-07, 10:26 PM

With the exception of Pink Flamingos, A Nightmare on Elm Street and The Player, that's got to be the worst representation of a studio's output ever.

Edit: Add Boogie Nights to the list of exceptions.

Last edited by nezumi; 10-02-07 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-02-07, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 276 Likes on 207 Posts
That's over $10 a movie when you factor in shipping. You can get most of these with sales at CH for $5.95. Not really worth the money. The oldest move is from 1984; maybe Pink Flamingos is older but it doesn't come close to covering 40 years worth.
Old 10-02-07, 10:36 PM

wtf
Old 10-03-07, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They did theatrically release films such as The Evil Dead, Glengarry Glen Ross and the original The Texas Chainsaw Massacre; but alas, those films aren't within the company anymore as other distributors own the video rights to them.

Why are Blow and Wag the Dog in the set? Neither are great films and neither were important to the company.

Films that I would've personally included:
- A History of Violence
- American History X
- Blade
- Dumb & Dumber
- The Hidden
- Final Destination
- Friday
- Hairspray
- Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle
- Magnolia
- Pan's Labyrinth
- Snakes on a Plane
Old 10-03-07, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Why are Blow and Wag the Dog in the set? Neither are great films and neither were important to the company.
I'm going to have to disagree with you there concerning Wag The Dog not being a great film.
Old 10-03-07, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That set is not worth a penny more than $85.
Old 10-03-07, 01:57 AM
Zbu

Wow. I had high hopes for this set. I was expecting a bit more of the '70s output of the studio, and maybe a few fantastic extras and unknown movies that I have never seen. Instead, it turns out to be a godawful attempt to remarket the LOTR films along with several more films that are available in any dollar bin near you.

What a waste. They might as well call it the 'saving you the hassle of dealing with a Wal-Mart sale' set.
Old 10-03-07, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Mask & Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery are the only films in that set, that’s worth my money & I already own them both on DVD. Even if I didn’t, they’re cheap at the stores now anyway.

The only thing I would be interested in seeing on this set is the ‘exclusive documentary’, hosted by Charlie Rose, but I wouldn’t spend $170-270 on this set just to see a documentary that I’m not the crazy about seeing & will probably end up being a disappointing one anyway. They’ll probably end up releasing it on a single disc, most likely.
Old 10-03-07, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A terrible cross-section of 40 years IMO. Overpriced to be sure. There is no overriding theme that lends any coherence to this set. It's just a random assortment of discs from a studio that is not a genre studio, so this collection essentially makes no sense.
Old 10-03-07, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I could have sworn that New Line didn't even start up until 1982 with their first feature being Alone in the Dark with Martin Landau, Jack Palance, and Donald Pleasance. Maybe that was just the first film they produced rather than just distributed though.
Old 10-03-07, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are the Lord of the Rings movies New Line's only Oscar winning movies? And not just Best Picture, but I mean any kind of Oscar at all? You'd think that after almost 40 years they'd accidentally win an Oscar somewhere for Best Cinematography or Best Special Effects or Best Costumes, but scanning through their list of movies, I can't find any.
Old 10-05-07, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts
They were initially a low-budget studio, which is why I've had mixed feelings about them putting out the Lord of the Rings movies. Stuff like "In Love And War" is way out there for them, but what the hell do I know. One of their first releases was a reissue of "Reefer Madness", which now has about a thousand public domain DVDs available. A movie New Line put out in 1977 called "Stunts" is also available in several public-domain collections.