Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

MASTERS OF HORROR pricing issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-07, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MASTERS OF HORROR pricing issues

Alright, Sorry if this shouldn't be it's own thread but I am totally confused with this series and other people might be as well.

I went to best buy and they had the following...

Combined collectors box set in the shape of a grave Masters of Horror complete volume... This was marked like 69.99

Now I remember reading posts on here before where people said it was only 39 dollars or something?

Also They had the individual volumes. actually they only had volume 2 for 69.99.

Yet on the amazon site masters of horror season 1 volumes 1 and 2 are like 18 dollars each.

ANDDDD why is the combined box set 69.99 which contains all the movies yet the individual volumes cost more then the box set when you are still getting the same amount of movies. This pricing of the masters of horror is confusing me. I just want to get the complete season at a decent price at best buy using my coupons and certs...

Anyone know what's the deal?
Old 10-02-07, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got mine for $49 at Bestbuy last August during its release week.

reference:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....4&page=4&pp=25

Why so late in buying mode? it was released more than a month ago and its only limited to 20,000.

I think the $39.99 you mentioned would only take effect if you buy it at Buy.com and new to google checkout ($10 off)... else it goes at a pricetag more than $50

http://www.buy.com/prod/masters-of-h...204819983.html

Last edited by xage; 10-02-07 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-02-07, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're not going to get the best price at Best Buy no matter what you do. You need to go to an online site like DVDPlanet, DeepDiscount, or Buy.com (using the $10 off Google Checkout deal, best price out there).

The season set actually has two things not in the individual volume sets - a great bonus disc, as well as the episode "Imprint" by Takashi Miike. Neither one of those are in the individual volumes.
Old 10-02-07, 08:33 AM

Ah, okay. the reason why it was cheaper because it was the sale price. I gotcha. And I dunno why I was buying it so late. I just printed out 10 bucks in certz and I have a 10% off coupon. And since it's october it just made sense, but I am not going to buy this set for 69.99. that's ridiculous.

I still don't understand why the individual volumes cost MORE than the Combined Volumes in a collectors case.... what's the deal with that.
Old 10-02-07, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Raw_and_Vital
I still don't understand why the individual volumes cost MORE than the Combined Volumes in a collectors case.... what's the deal with that.
The DVD company milking scheme...

Since they released the boxset at a limited quantity (20,000 only)... and once sold out the next step for consumers are to get the half season boxset (at the same price as the whole) the only choice out there ...

Its like on your end, its been more than month that you have decided and at this point in time there fewer options for you to obtain the whole boxset and good thing, you still have that opion to get the whole set while it is still available!
Old 10-02-07, 09:07 AM

is the box set worth it? for a 49.99 price?
Old 10-02-07, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Raw_and_Vital
is the box set worth it? for a 49.99 price?

i think it is. if you purchased the moh titles seperately as they were released it would have cost well over $100
Old 10-02-07, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, it's well worth it for the content. The bonus disc is really great. Just don't get excited about the packaging though. It may look pretty cool in pictures, but in reality it's pretty cheaply made and not that impressive. I'd much rather have had them released it in some sort of the case with flaps or something, something to save space.

Great content, but the packaging is lacking.
Old 10-02-07, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L
You're not going to get the best price at Best Buy no matter what you do. You need to go to an online site like DVDPlanet, DeepDiscount, or Buy.com (using the $10 off Google Checkout deal, best price out there).

The season set actually has two things not in the individual volume sets - a great bonus disc, as well as the episode "Imprint" by Takashi Miike. Neither one of those are in the individual volumes.
Imprint was available as a single disc
Old 10-02-07, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by junkie
Imprint was available as a single disc
I had the same comment, but I think he meant the separated multi-disc volumes--volume 1&2, which do not include Imprint.

Though, yes, all episodes were released by themselves, including Imprint.
Old 10-03-07, 01:46 AM

i actually purchased the box set and ended up selling it on ebay. every disk had marks on it. I rather keep my individual copies.
Old 10-03-07, 01:51 AM
Zbu

Yeah, the Masters of Horror Season 1 box set was a good idea, but putting the discs in slipcovers was quite a nasty surprise. They should have just put them all in thinpaks and called it a day. And I'm still surprised they're selling them individually for so much. We all know they're going to put out another Season box soon enough for half the price of all. It seems so pointless.
Old 10-03-07, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Zbu
Yeah, the Masters of Horror Season 1 box set was a good idea, but putting the discs in slipcovers was quite a nasty surprise. They should have just put them all in thinpaks and called it a day. And I'm still surprised they're selling them individually for so much. We all know they're going to put out another Season box soon enough for half the price of all. It seems so pointless.
Those cardboard slipcovers are what is keeping me from upgrading my original collection with this boxset. Maybe next time (and they only get 1 more chance) they'll do better and make the all around package worth it.
Old 10-17-07, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dollfins1
i think it is. if you purchased the moh titles seperately as they were released it would have cost well over $100
Available for $45.79 at Buy.com .
Old 10-17-07, 07:55 AM

thanks for the look out dude.
Old 10-17-07, 09:09 AM
Banned

Set is still easily available at the BB's in this area.
Old 10-17-07, 09:45 AM

true, but for 69.99 which is ridiculous.
Old 10-17-07, 09:55 AM
Zbu

The sad thing? We're going to see a lot of sales for the individual releases when S2 finally comes out in season form. At this point, why bother getting the single discs when you can save a mint getting the set?

Of course, that could be said about any TV set release today as well, but you get my drift.
Old 10-17-07, 12:21 PM

i agree, i don't want to get the single discs. I'm waiting to get season 1 vol. 1 and 2 coffin/grave pack or whatever. I'd like it to drop around 30 bucks. but it's 69.99 for that collectors set at BB
Old 10-17-07, 11:40 PM
Cool New Member

Check this: You *can* still get the Masters of Horror box set brand new for $39.99. For some reason, DVD Planet is one of the Marketplace sellers on Amazon.com for this item. Even though the box sells for $53.97 on its own website, you can get it through Amazon for $39.99 (but it still ships from DVD Planet). Shipping is the Planet's standard $2.98 and everything arrived flawlessly shrink wrapped within a week. The best part is I was able to use a $25 Amazon GC towards the purchase. Brand new box o' horror for under $18 shipped!
Old 10-17-07, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dimsdale
Check this: You *can* still get the Masters of Horror box set brand new for $39.99. For some reason, DVD Planet is one of the Marketplace sellers on Amazon.com for this item. Even though the box sells for $53.97 on its own website, you can get it through Amazon for $39.99 (but it still ships from DVD Planet). Shipping is the Planet's standard $2.98 and everything arrived flawlessly shrink wrapped within a week. The best part is I was able to use a $25 Amazon GC towards the purchase. Brand new box o' horror for under $18 shipped!
This appears to be so, but why? My feeble mind cannot comprehend this paradoxical situation.
Old 10-18-07, 05:34 AM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

DD has it for $52.66, and if the 20% sale happens and they don';t jack up the price too much, then this set could probably be had for anywhere between $40-$45.
Old 10-18-07, 08:09 AM

Nice, i'll probably be ordering this from amazon sometime soon...

Too many good dvd's that I want and not enough money... It's sad.
Old 10-18-07, 09:00 AM
Zbu

Originally Posted by derekisdman
This appears to be so, but why? My feeble mind cannot comprehend this paradoxical situation.
Because by doing this, DVD Planet is undermining Amazon on their own website and probably making a slight profit at the expense of Amazon.