Search this Thread

Old 10-01-07, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Man From Uncle Complete Series Available for Preorder from Time/Life

Any 20% off coupon codes currently available? Price is $249.99 free shipping
Sales Tax in IA, IL, IN, NY, PA, and VA. They will start shipping 11/27/07

www.manfromuncledvd.com

Last edited by Classic Films; 10-01-07 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-01-07, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like a great set but out of my reach. Single seasons at sane pricing a year from now.
Old 10-01-07, 04:44 PM
Zbu

DROOL!!

If Santa is good, this will be waiting under my tree.
Old 10-01-07, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Classic Films
Any 20% off coupon codes currently available?
Here's a code I just used to get 20% off: TLMBMS (Expires Oct. 5, 2007)

Unfortunately, no free shipping with this code (my total was $218.95). I used this link:

https://www.timelife.com/webapp/wcs/...hTerm=man+from
Old 10-01-07, 06:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by seymouru

Unfortunately, no free shipping with this code (my total was $218.95). I used this link:

Probably obvious but I have to ask: Does this mean that the 10% off coupon won't stack with the free shipping code listed on the website?

Thanks...I probably won't order now anyway (from what I remember & from the reruns I've seen on American Life network, season 3 is pretty bad. Also, season 4 was abbreviated (17 episodes?) since the show was cancelled in the middle of the season.

So I'm thinking that waiting for Season 1 & 2 (the best of U.N.C.L.E.) to be released individually next year might be my best option.

Still, thanks for the code in case I change my mind.
Old 10-01-07, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No coupon stacking on TL's website.
Old 10-01-07, 08:46 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by creekdipper
So I'm thinking that waiting for Season 1 & 2 (the best of U.N.C.L.E.) to be released individually next year might be my best option.
Shouldn't Get Smart be available as season sets soon? This was last year's Time Life exclusive which is supposed to be available everywhere this fall.
Amazon only lists used copies presumably from the Time Life set.
Old 10-01-07, 08:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Classic Films
Shouldn't Get Smart be available as season sets soon? This was last year's Time Life exclusive which is supposed to be available everywhere this fall.
Amazon only lists used copies presumably from the Time Life set.
I've been wondering the same thing.
Old 10-01-07, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Me three!

But sometimes Time-Life's coupons are stackable - it just appears that they aren't for this offer.
Old 10-02-07, 08:49 AM

Remembering how quickly the first issue of Get Smart sold out last year, I decided to get on the MFU preorder list post haste. Too bad they didn't include the Girl from UNCLE series and only one [?] of the UNCLE movies, but this collection seems reasonably priced.
Old 10-02-07, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Time Life issues coupons all the time. I get coupons every week. If you are patient they will more than likely issue a 20% off with free shipping.
Old 10-02-07, 07:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BKenn01
Time Life issues coupons all the time. I get coupons every week. If you are patient they will more than likely issue a 20% off with free shipping.
Thanks...I registered an account with them so that I will get the emails (hopefully one that combines the discount w/ free shipping).
Old 10-03-07, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by seymouru

Thanks OP for the tip - I'm in at the same price. I did some digging. Get Smart is $200 and is labled 'free shipping'. If you buy it with the 20% code, it is $160 total (free shipping + 20% off). Man From Uncle is 'get free shipping' and you must use the code. You cannot stack codes. They obviously did this on purpose, perhaps because there are twice the number of discs (41) and therefore it is heavy and will cost plenty to ship. The 20% coupon still gives you an additional 10% off the $250 and free shipping price. In my opinion (okay, my guess) this is the cheapest you are likely to see for some time. And as to the exorbitant cost; it comes to roughly $5 per disk. I've been waiting for years. As for Get Smart, even as a kid I considered it a one-joke show that went on too long. Think I'll wait and just get the first season. On the other hand, I was an avid viewer of ALL of the Uncle seasons, including the Girl from Uncle spinoff (where is that?).
Old 10-04-07, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by pre-hays-code
I did some digging. Get Smart is $200 and is labled 'free shipping'. If you buy it with the 20% code, it is $160 total (free shipping + 20% off). You cannot stack codes.
I tried ordering Get Smart with the 20% coupon and every time it automatically added shipping regardless of how I accessed it. Too bad, too as that's a great price for all five seasons of Get Smart!
Old 10-04-07, 05:32 PM

Get Smart

dmkb - I just tried it again ('TLMBMS'). Came up $159.96 total with $0.00 shipping and tax. And I did it 17 times - okay, would you believe twice? And I didn't see Get Smart Season 1 before!!! I would have added it to my Uncle order and gotten the 20% off. Did they just add it? By the way, the fine print says "one coupon code per customer".
Old 10-08-07, 04:20 PM
Banned

15% Off Coupon that worked today: AFDEAL (expiration unknown)

Ordered Get Smart Season 1 & Complete set with free shipping & 15% off (sat on the fence until the 20% off coupon expired, then realized what a good deal it was after seeing the prices people were paying for used copies). Currently, there is a bidding war on eBay for a used copy of Get Smart...up to $200 with a over a day remaining...and that doesn't count the $20 shipping charge). Even without a code, they could just buy a new copy straight from Time-Life for $199.99 shipped!!!! Don't people think to check the home websites where the products originate??? Or is winning an auction just that much fun?

Anyway, speaking of doing things for fun, I went back after completing the order & put a Man From U.N.C.L.E. set in the cart, then re-entered the AFDEAL code. Got the message "you have entered a valid code" and the total got knocked down to $212. Evidently, some codes can be used more than once. Of course, the site still charges $20 shipping for the U.N.C.L.E. collection, so I'm hoping that the 20% coupon will reappear (maybe even with free shipping). I did a search for Time-Life coupons & noticed that both the 20% code & the AFDEAL 15% code had appeared earlier (back in Aug./Sept), so they apparently just reactivate the same codes & reuse them.

Still trying to decide whether to wait for U.N.C.L.E. to appear in Season sets next year or to get the collection now & try to sell Seasons 3 & 4 for a substantial profit, which would knock down the price of the two seasons I really want. At worst, I think I could get the $55-$60 average cost for each of the latter two seasons, which would make the other two sets an acceptable price, I guess. It's a gamble either way...get them now & risk getting stuck with 2 seasons I don't really want, or take a chance that the individual sets will set for around $50 (even if after a coupon discount).

Decisions, decisions.

Last edited by creekdipper; 10-08-07 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-08-07, 04:28 PM
Banned

Just a comment about some of these "deluxe" sets. I really wish that Time-Life would throw in a few extras. Man From U.N.C.L.E. was one of the most heavily-merchandized programs from the '60's (comic books, paperbacks, trading cards, magazine, etc.). It would have been nice to have a facsimile comic book (similar to the "Ultimate" editions of The Searchers & Rio Bravo). I have most of the pb's, original trading cards, quite a few of the comics, a trade pb history of the show, & a few of the original magazines, but I'm sure there are collectors who would love to have a few special items included. Even throwing in a few neat items like a fountain pen "communicator" or a triangular ID badge would have been nice. The attache case is a good idea for the case, but I kind of expect more for such a pricey set.
Old 10-09-07, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

prehays, occasionally Time Life will throw out % off coupons with Free Shipping. The latest was 10% and free ship. I can remember at least once last year there was a 20% off with free ship. They are more aggressive with coupons than other retailers.
Old 08-23-13, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Man From Uncle Complete Series Available for Preorder from Time/Life

I just opened my set, I got one of the last ones from Time Life as they were clearing out the set, unfortunately I believe mine was a return/reshrink, from the condition the season sets were in. Can someone that bought the Time Life version and not the Warner version tell me, did it come with the paper backing on the case like the Warner set? (with picture of open set, barcode, etc) the only online pic I can find is just the corner.. Thanks...

Last edited by hasslein; 08-23-13 at 10:35 PM.
Old 08-26-13, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!

Originally Posted by hasslein
I just opened my set, I got one of the last ones from Time Life as they were clearing out the set, unfortunately I believe mine was a return/reshrink, from the condition the season sets were in. Can someone that bought the Time Life version and not the Warner version tell me, did it come with the paper backing on the case like the Warner set? (with picture of open set, barcode, etc) the only online pic I can find is just the corner.. Thanks...
I believe that mine did. If I can dig it out, I'll take a look. That was the second series that Time-Life did and it was different from Get Smart if I recall correctly.
Old 08-26-13, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^Thanks I'd appreciate it.
Old 08-29-13, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just pulled my set out - it has the exact paper backing promotional sheet as pictured in your post.
Out of curiosity, what was the clearance price?
Old 08-29-13, 06:03 PM
Banned

Glad I grabbed mine WWAAYYY back for $65.00 shipped from amazon! Just getting around to watching it though!
Old 08-29-13, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by smurr05
Glad I grabbed mine WWAAYYY back for $65.00 shipped from amazon! Just getting around to watching it though!
You must've missed the DVD Planet/DD pricing of <40 bucks

Though there was a short period of time when someone got it for around 10-15 bucks ...
Old 08-29-13, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dmkb
Just pulled my set out - it has the exact paper backing promotional sheet as pictured in your post.
Out of curiosity, what was the clearance price?
It was around $60, I don't remember, it was a year or so ago. Yeah so that confirms it was a re shrink, it had no backing paper & cases were worn. The outer case was in great shape so I put it in storage & never bothered to look inside.