DVD Talk
Bright Eyes, Dashboard Confessional, Iron & Wine, Badly Drawn Boy [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Bright Eyes, Dashboard Confessional, Iron & Wine, Badly Drawn Boy

cungar
10-01-07, 03:04 PM
Any other Bands that are pseudonyms for one guy?

prp2
10-01-07, 03:23 PM
Five For Fighting comes to mind. Also close, but not quite entirely, is The Album Leaf. That's essentially just Jimmy LaValle.

DJLinus
10-01-07, 03:49 PM
Putting aside electronic artists...

Nine Inch Nails
A Fine Frenzy (this is a woman)
The Lightning Seeds
New Radicals (maybe?)
Basehead

deadlax
10-01-07, 03:50 PM
Magnolia Electric Company or Songs Ohia depending on the album

SlingshotBandit
10-01-07, 06:05 PM
Pedro the Lion

SlingshotBandit
10-01-07, 06:06 PM
and, most of the time, The Magnetic Fields

Shiv Shankly
10-01-07, 07:21 PM
The Divine Comedy

Atreus
10-01-07, 07:23 PM
The Russian Futurists is one guy and he is great. Definitely check him out, I think his cat makes an appearance in the song "Paul Simon" and is also very talented.

stevevt
10-01-07, 07:50 PM
Kleenex Girl Wonder, Cat Power, Super XX Man

jdodd
10-02-07, 02:21 PM
Back in the day, Nine Inch Nails. And Foetus.

Wasn't the first Foo Fighters all Dave Grohl?

Gdrlv
10-02-07, 02:34 PM
Crooked Fingers
St. Vincent (a woman)
Primitive Radio Gods

Giles
10-02-07, 03:08 PM
Mull Historical Society - (I believe)

The Autuers/Das Capital/The Oliver Twist Manifesto/Black Box Recorder = Luke Haines

I don't understand the question.

wewantflair
10-06-07, 10:38 PM
Jack's Mannequin and Say Anything are (or were) effectively one-man projects.

Aphex Twin
10-07-07, 02:24 AM
Smashing Pumpkins

starman9000
10-07-07, 08:59 AM
The Mountain Goats,

The Microphones/Mt. Eerie (pretty much)

BlueCC
10-07-07, 10:29 AM
World's End Girlfriend

Perkinsun Dzees
10-08-07, 04:26 PM
Sparklehorse
The Sleepy Jackson
Say Hi To Your Mom

Hollowgen
10-08-07, 05:04 PM
Woven Hand
Destroyer
Beirut
The Pretenders (now)

maxfisher
10-11-07, 10:27 AM
I think these are all pretty much one-man bands.

Summer at Shatter Creek
Why?
The Veils
Days of the New
Eluvium
Bat for Lashes
Aqueduct

slop101
10-11-07, 10:55 AM
From the thread title, I thought the topic would be bands that turn a man's genitals into a vagina...

But to answer the question -
Eels

auto
10-11-07, 11:50 AM

But to answer the question -
Eels

That is incorrect.

SlingshotBandit
10-11-07, 12:02 PM
That is incorrect.

You're right on that. Unless he's solo now.

He was a solo artist at one point, recording 2 albums under the moniker "E" -- which is what he goes by now.

SlingshotBandit
10-11-07, 12:04 PM
Another one I just thought of: The Real Tuesday Weld

And also: Self (which is Matt Mahaffey, although I guess by the name you can reason that it's one person) :)

slop101
10-11-07, 12:48 PM
That is incorrect.How so?
I've seen him live 3 times and each time, he was touring for an "Eels" album and E was the only constant during each tour.

One time he had a random drummer and a guitarist on tour with him (Goldenboy, who's a friend of mine) who he only used on that tour, and another time it was just him with a small orchestra, and another time it was just him with a guitar/piano.

Further:

From allmusic (http://wc09.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:wnfpxqqgldae~T1):
Although marketed as a band, the leader and focus of alt-rockers Eels is undeniably singer/songwriter/multi-instrumentalist E (real name Mark Oliver Everett).And while it goes on to mention various collaborators, they don't mention a single constant "band member", except for the very first album, that is.

auto
10-11-07, 03:14 PM
How so?
I've seen him live 3 times and each time, he was touring for an "Eels" album and E was the only constant during each tour.

One time he had a random drummer and a guitarist on tour with him (Goldenboy, who's a friend of mine) who he only used on that tour, and another time it was just him with a small orchestra, and another time it was just him with a guitar/piano.

Further:

From allmusic (http://wc09.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:wnfpxqqgldae~T1):
And while it goes on to mention various collaborators, they don't mention a single constant "band member", except for the very first album, that is.

Seems you're right although Butch and Koool G were in the band for a long time IIRC:

Q: What is/are EELS?
A: EELS is an ever-changing lineup of musicians that play the songs of singer/songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Mark Oliver Everett, also known as E, who grew-up in Virginia but now lives in the Silver Lake area of Los Angeles, CA. Sometimes it's just him and other times it's him and a few others. Sometimes it's him and many others.

Q: Who are some of these other people?
A: Let's see, over the years there's been drummers Butch, Puddin' and Knuckles, bassist Koool G Murder, dancing security guard Krazy Al, violinist/multi-instrumentalist Lisa Germano, guitarist John Parish, R.E.M. guitarist Peter Buck, multi-instrumentalist Jon Brion, Grant Lee Buffalo guitarist Grant Lee Phillips... These are just some of the people that have played with EELS at various times. Most recently, Tom Waits and The Lovin' Spoonful's John Sebastian have become honorary EELS. Basically the idea is that there should be no rules or limits to what EELS can be.

http://www.eelstheband.com/faq.asp

Penny Lane
10-11-07, 03:25 PM
this thread is confusing to me. it seems like many of you are just referring to bands that have one songwriter and/or a revolving line of touring/recording players. when i think about a one-person act with a pseudonym, i think about someone who plays and tours alone (like sam beam used to when he released that first record under "iron and wine.")

does one-man band = a musician who records alone but takes a band with him/her on tour?

(ps--my fear when i opened this thread was that sam beam was going on tour with conor oberst, etc. please god, no. the fact that the felice brothers are touring with bright eyes is bad enough. he should be bathing their feet.)

Lee Harvey Oswald
10-11-07, 11:21 PM
I don't understand the question.

Can someone explain this so Giles can understand? And me too, cause I have no clue.

Matthew Chmiel
10-12-07, 01:38 PM
The Go! Team in the beginning was a one-man project. The band didn't come into play until a re-release of the original album and several EPs down the road.

Bleu
L.E.O. (both William James McAuley III)