Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Is Xbox 360 for me if...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-07, 09:32 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Is Xbox 360 for me if...

I don't care about online play or HDTV or those other bells and whistles? Right now, all I have is a standard tv and don't plan on upgrading anytime too soon.

I think i just want a new gaming system that isn't Nintendo. i think i might enjoy the Halo's, even though I don't particularly like FPS (it is that right?)

So would Xbox 360 be for me if i just want awesome games on a simple set up?

Thanks for ops.
Old 09-28-07, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can actually play 360 on standard TV. You don't have to play online or HDTV. But just to warn you that there are SOME games that run better on HD. You might need to hook up to Internet for game updates - some game won't let you play unless it's update, don't worry it's still free (gold member not required).
Old 09-28-07, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My advice: Buy a PS2 and the first 15 Greatest Hits titles that appeal to you.

Price will be about the same.
Old 09-28-07, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

what "awesome games" did you want to play? b/c i can't think of any on the xbox360 that isn't for a hdtv.

if anything, i suggest getting a ps3 and playing ps2 games on it.

--
wait, i think bioshock for the xbox360 is a great game and it shows more on a standard tv (i believe i read that). so, maybe the 360 is the way to go if you're interested in that game.

Last edited by young; 09-28-07 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-28-07, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
What? There is only one game that truly suffers on an SD set and that is Dead Rising and the infamous text issue. Anything else should look fine. Not mind blowing, but definitely sufficient.

As for online, it's a bonus. Are you not interested in paying or don't have a way to hook it up? Or are you not interested in multiplayer?

No sweat on paying as all demos and updates are free. I'd find a way to hook it up though so you can get the demos and have the marketplace and arcade games at your fingertips.

Regardless of HD or Live, 360 still has the best current game lineup out there. It can't be beat.
Old 09-29-07, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd stick with a Wii or PS2. I bought a 360 because I had an HDTV and I doubt I would've if I didn't.
Old 09-29-07, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Another vote for the PS2.
Old 09-29-07, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
If you just want "Halo's" then buy a used Original XBOX. You'll miss out on Halo 3 but who knows, you may not like "the halos" so it wouldn't matter.
Old 09-29-07, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would pick up a PS2 or original XBOX and play through some of the great games that are now really cheap. Pick up a 360 when you can play the games in HD. I like the 360 and think it has a great lineup, but you will get much more value with a PS2 or original xbox for a standard tv.
Old 09-29-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I see what the others are saying, but if you're probably going to be going HD in the next 12-18 months, then it's totally not a mistake to grab a 360 now and enjoy some great games now. Nearly all are playable on SD. However if your budget is super tight, then getting a ps2 slim (maybe 2nd hand with warranty) and some old classics is also a good option.
Old 09-29-07, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I dont know, if you dont like fps, I dont think you are going to like Halo 3...If budget is tight, dont go with the 360 and stick with the Wii. If you have some disposable cash, get one, although I would say save your money up and get an HDTV in the future.
Old 09-29-07, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A Wii is not really a budget purchase though. $250, makes it significantly more expensive than a PS2, and the games are all pretty much $50 across the board. And if you're just mainly single player gaming by yourself, there's not much to recommend on the Wii. Apart from that, he said he's not looking for another Nintendo system.
Old 09-29-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
What? There is only one game that truly suffers on an SD set and that is Dead Rising and the infamous text issue. Anything else should look fine. Not mind blowing, but definitely sufficient.
my bar for "awesome" games is higher than "fine looking." and, imo, all the games for the xbox360 suffers from lack of a widescreen aspect (as similar to FS movies). if you're ok w/ that, good for you and enjoy.

i took out graphics as an issue; so regarding gameplay, the PS2 library is way better than the xbox360's (or xbox). since the OP wants a next gen system, my recommendation remains as the PS3 w/ the PS2 library.

--
try to stick w/ the OP's criteria:
not upgrading to HD for a while
doesn't care about online
doesn't want Nintendo
may like Halo (but not FPS)... so doesn't like Halo :P

--
btw, if you still decide to get the xbox360, i just read the 65nm chip xbox360's are hitting the market.

http://forums.xbox.com/47/14713652/S....aspx#14713652

Last edited by young; 09-29-07 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-29-07, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll just say this - I have all 3 'next gen' game consoles and the only one I use on a regular basis for gaming is my Xbox 360. Wii gets played rarely (has a few games that are great - but literally only a few). I have ZERO games for the PS3 because everything I'm interested in is either better on xbox/identical on xbox and then I always go 360 because of achievements and my friends have that system.

You don't need HD to enjoy 360 but when you eventually go HD, you'll be all set. It's the only system out right now that I can fully recommend to anyone interested in gaming... yeah there have been reliability issues but microsoft has been good about those kinds of things (with me anyhow).

Now, go out and get a 360 and start having fun!
Old 09-29-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by young

try to stick w/ the OP's criteria:
You should take your own advice. Dude asked about a 360 not a PS3. I provided info on each bullet point he asked about concerning the 360. You went off on a tangent about the PS3/2.

Originally Posted by mdc3000

You don't need HD to enjoy 360 but when you eventually go HD, you'll be all set. It's the only system out right now that I can fully recommend to anyone interested in gaming... yeah there have been reliability issues but microsoft has been good about those kinds of things (with me anyhow).

Now, go out and get a 360 and start having fun!
Exactly. Even on SD games are going to look significantly better than last gen. And if you ever upgrade to HD then you are set. All these threads are blurring together anyway. Go read GatorDebs thread on system suggestions.

As for "awesome games" on the 360, there are plenty to keep you busy for a long while.
Old 09-29-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
imo, all the games for the xbox360 suffers from lack of a widescreen aspect (as similar to FS movies). if you're ok w/ that, good for you and enjoy.

WHAT??
Old 09-29-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
all the games for the xbox360 suffers from lack of a widescreen aspect
BioShock does, it's the equivalent of a widescreen matted film, the other games on the system do not have the same FOV issue, and all either offer widescreen modes with proper FOV or are widescreen native. I think you're confusing it for the Wii.

Or are you talking about not being widescreen on an SD TV? In which case it doesn't really matter since the FOV is properly altered anyhow. Plus I believe you can enable Widescreen mode on SD-TVs.
Old 09-29-07, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

all the games for the xbox360 suffers from lack of a widescreen aspect (as similar to FS movies). if you're ok w/ that, good for you and enjoy.
Uh, the opposite of true. All games on the 360 are 16x9, every single one. But if you are playing it on a 4x3 televsion, you can set the 360 to format the games aspect ratio correctly, filling up your television screen, or you can allow it to play in it's widescreen aspect ratio.

The whole idea behind the 360 is that all its games are designed from the ground-up for next-gen households, and that means all games are developed in widescreen.

I own all three systems, and the 360 definitely gets the most play out of me... In fact I think I've played maybe 2 games on the PS3 (Resistance and GT:HD), everything on the 360 runs faster, looks better (Need we mention the Madden debacle? 30FPS max on PS3, 60FPS on the 360). There will be some great games on the PS3 eventually (Metal Gear Solid is the only one I can think of off the top of my head though), but the 360 wins out, no contest.
Old 09-29-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Uh, the opposite of true. All games on the 360 are 16x9, every single one. But if you are playing it on a 4x3 televsion, you can set the 360 to format the games aspect ratio correctly, filling up your television screen, or you can allow it to play in it's widescreen aspect ratio.
sorry if my statement was ambiguous. yes, all 360 games are 16x9. i meant, unless you actually use that setup, you're missing out.

if you use 4x3 to play those games, i think you miss out on the full experience. if you use it to play in widescreen mode w/ black bars on top/bottom, i think you lose detail... in either case, unless you go w/ a full widescreen hd setup, i don't think getting a 360 or ps3 for their native games are worthwhile.

so, imo, getting the 360 is not a good option if you're not upgrading to HD. and no, i don't think it's worth it for Halo if you don't like FPS games.

Last edited by young; 09-29-07 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-29-07, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
You should take your own advice. Dude asked about a 360 not a PS3. I provided info on each bullet point he asked about concerning the 360. You went off on a tangent about the PS3/2
that part of my message wasn't directed at you. rather, the subsequent comments suggesting wii when he specifically said he didn't want one.

the ps3 (for the ps2 library) was an open suggestion that still qualified under his criteria. (getting a ps2 or xbox are viable as well, but to me, the ps3 is preferable).

Last edited by young; 09-29-07 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-29-07, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
BioShock does, it's the equivalent of a widescreen matted film
yeah, bioshock is an exception (as i mentioned in my first post near the top).

and i clarified my comment about what i meant about widescreen. sorry it was ambiguously written.
Old 09-29-07, 03:35 PM
Banned

the ps3 (for the ps2 library)
Why get a PS3 just for the PS2 library? Get a PS2 and save yourself $400.

PS3 games suffer the same problem as the Xbox 360 in that every game is meant to be played on HDTV for the full unadulterated experience.
Old 09-29-07, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Like others have said, if you skipped the last generation of gaming, a PS2 or an original Xbox is the way to go for value. Lots of great games there to try for next to nothing.

Regarding you question of getting a 360, I say go for it. I play mine of SD and the games still look great. Gears of Way surely looks better on an HDTV, but it still looked fantastic on a SD. Same for the other games I've played. And honestly if you haven't played the games on an HDTV you probably won't miss the graphical quality you aren't getting (because you don't know any better...like me).

The console is a bit FPS heavy, but I think Gears of War, Halo, and Bioshock are good enough games that might sway you on not liking the FPS genre. If you don't like those, but do like sports, racing, or action adventure games - there is something for you on the console. Outside of those genres, the picking starts to get thin.

Also, while you don't care about online play, a HUGE bonus of the 360 is the live arcade stuff. I, like many I'm sure, spent more time on Geometry Wars, Pacman CE, and Puzzle Fighter than proper 360 games. If you get into this stuff at all, it is almost worth the price of the 360 alone. Almost.
Old 09-29-07, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go for the 360. This is a system that will grow with you setup. You can add an HDTV, HD-DVD add-on and online service down the road and it will feel like a whole new system. And while there are a lot of great FPS games available for the 360 there are a lot of other great games as well from other genres (Viva Pinata, Oblivion, Dead Rising, Lego Star Wars come to mind). Plus the 360 is backwards compatible with most of the popular original xbox games. So you can still take advantage of those. It's a great system and I don't think you will regret you got one.
Old 09-29-07, 06:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
but, if i don't mind that the games won't look THAT spectacular, they will still look better than my GC and better than the original systems on my standard tv, right?

i can live with just normal looking games that still play amazingly. i can hook it up to pc, i just thought it would be a hassle to do so, but if it is easy to navigate the online stuff i will do the dl's for games and such. i just meant i don't have much interest in playing online with people.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.