Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : The Evil Dead: Ultimate Edition - Dec 18, 2007

ChristianB
09-28-07, 09:54 PM
TIME TO KICK SOME ULTIMATE ASH!

THE EVIL DEAD RETURNS ON THREE DEMONIC DISCS BURSTING WITH BONUS FEATURES

More than 25 years ago, a low-budget movie its young producers called 'The Ultimate Experience In Grueling Terror' roared across movie screens and changed the velocity of fear forever!

Today, its ferocious ingenuity, relentless shocks and gore-gushing havoc remain an absolute standard of modern horror!

Now celebrate the original Sam Raimi masterpiece like never before with two versions of the movie, six new featurettes that revisit the film's cast, crew, biggest fans and undying legacy, plus a jaw-dropping torrent of never-before-seen production footage, outtakes and deleted scenes, reconstructed and restored for the first time ever!

$39.97 SRP (Canadian dollars)

Zen Peckinpah
09-28-07, 09:57 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh boy. Here we go again.

More unrealistic increasing to my Christmas list...

TomOpus
09-28-07, 10:01 PM
Make it stop!!

Carcosa
09-28-07, 10:01 PM
Oh boy. I can't wait....yet ANOTHER version of THE EVIL DEAD.

I'm sure this one will be the REAL keeper.

Right.

dx23
09-28-07, 10:15 PM
Finally!!! I have been waiting a long time for this film to be released on DVD. Now if Anchor Bay could put their shit together and release Evil Dead II, I'll be the happiest guy on earth.

Geofferson
09-28-07, 10:36 PM
You've got to be kidding me...

mdc3000
09-28-07, 10:47 PM
is it April 1? give me a GD break! ...oh and where is this news from? (not that I doubt it) :horse:

Dr. Forrester
09-28-07, 10:47 PM
Not be too dogmatic about it but no "Within the Woods" = no sale

rhcp1214
09-28-07, 11:04 PM
Depending on the features, I will buy, this is probably my favorite movie of all time...and if this is as comprehensive as the "Dawn of the Dead" Ultimate Edition, then I'M IN!

The Valeyard
09-28-07, 11:10 PM
Paging Xage......Paging Xage......

If "Within the Woods" is included, I'm in.

man*machine
09-28-07, 11:30 PM
This is practically an annual event. The government should get involved and designate a holiday every year for the DVD reissue's release date. It will be Evil Holi-dead day!

I must have at least three different copies of this movie and haven't watched it in at least 3 years. Ya, give me some more 'extras'!!! Does anyone even care anymore? Only "Within the Woods" (highly unlikely) would be of interest, so if that's not on it and it won't be, then this is just the latest shameless cash-in by AB/Starz to milk this title beyond dry. Do earlier versions even have a chance to go OOP before the next edition gets announced?

Of course, we also get to look forward to next year's umpteenth AB/Starz DVD release of HALLOWEEN for its 30th Anniversary. Halloween is already an annual holiday, so government interaction is not needed.

mzupeman2
09-28-07, 11:32 PM
There was supposed to be an Evil Dead version with packaging like the cabin, I wonder if this will be it.

zombeaner
09-29-07, 12:51 AM
I'm on it, I'll dip as many times as necessary.

UAIOE
09-29-07, 01:04 AM
You could build an entire DVD collection out of "Evil Dead" releases.

alfonsosoriano
09-29-07, 01:28 AM
Link?

mikelowry
09-29-07, 01:40 AM
Is there an Evil Dead Boxed set?

wm lopez
09-29-07, 01:48 AM
Can someone post all the dvd covers?

darqleo
09-29-07, 01:58 AM
Is there an Evil Dead Boxed set?

An Evil Dead box set that included "Within The Woods" and Sam Raimi/Bruce Campbell's early Super-8 films are the only things that would make me rebuy these movies.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-fw8ZCAPYLI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-fw8ZCAPYLI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

tylergfoster
09-29-07, 02:38 AM
It sounds pretty definitive. I bet even Anchor Bay knows they can't keep going after this one.

project86
09-29-07, 02:44 AM
I have the book of the dead edition... but if this one has the OAR and stuff, I might pick it up. Also the extras better be pretty nice. I'm not even a fan of the first one, I prefer the 2nd and 3rd.

GreenVulture
09-29-07, 04:31 AM
Not be too dogmatic about it but no "Within the Woods" = no sale
You ever actually watch it? It's pretty much what you would expect from teenagers making a movie: a pretty amateurish piece of shit. At best, it's something to watch once just for the sake of history.

And...
Thanks for giving Xage another opportunity to trot out his ED photos.

Cameron
09-29-07, 04:47 AM
I love how it just keeps coming over and over again

Darth Maher
09-29-07, 09:56 AM
They mentioned this release a few years ago at Flashback Weekend (horror convention in Rosemont, IL). They had an ED Reunion and some of the footage was supposed to be used in this edition. It was supposed to come out last year so when I didn't hear anything, I figured it got scrapped. I'll wait to see what is on this new release before I commit to buying it or not.

basaro
09-29-07, 10:02 AM
WTF? I'd rather have a decent transfer of AOD instead please! ;)

DarthVong
09-29-07, 10:08 AM
I'll have to wait to see what the extras are, but this is beyond radiculous!

melvin
09-29-07, 10:36 AM
If this is reasonably priced I might get it. Only version I have is on VHS.

islandclaws
09-29-07, 10:56 AM
I'm going to agree with "No Within the Woods=No Sale". I don't care how amateurish and shitty it looks, it's a part of The Evil Dead history and it needs to be included, period. There are no possible extras at this point they could include that we don't already know everything about. I'm sure the two versions of the movie they are touting is just one OAR and one hack-ass widescreen. This would have to be a VERY special package to get me to double dip again.

Rammsteinfan
09-29-07, 11:36 AM
It wouldnt be very ultimate if it didnt include everything related to ED. Like WtW.

tylergfoster
09-29-07, 12:42 PM
WTF? I'd rather have a decent transfer of AOD instead please! ;)Certainly you're talking to Anchor Bay and referring to the DC, but the HD-DVD/DVD Combo Disc of AoD features 2006-era remastered anamorphic widescreen of the theatrical print on the SD-DVD side and it looks fantastic, by far the best transfer of the film on DVD as of the moment.

Julie Walker
09-29-07, 01:45 PM
If this includes the 1.33:1 version of the film and the matted widescreen tilt n scan version. I will definitely buy this dvd. Also it would be nice if the original mono mix is also included if this is too be an 'ultimate/definitive' edition.

mzupeman2
09-29-07, 01:57 PM
Certainly you're talking to Anchor Bay and referring to the DC, but the HD-DVD/DVD Combo Disc of AoD features 2006-era remastered anamorphic widescreen of the theatrical print on the SD-DVD side and it looks fantastic, by far the best transfer of the film on DVD as of the moment.

Some people don't want to plunk money down on a dual format disc though if they don't have an HD-DVD player.

Especially for Army Of Darkness, considering how many releases this series gets.

Steve
09-29-07, 03:04 PM
somebody correct me if I am wrong, but regarding AoD, my understanding is that anchor bay does not have the rights for the cult-famous Sci-Fi channel version, which I much prefer to the theatrical cut and is even a little different than the DC cut that AB released, i think for a few scenes, that AB put out. I got the R3 version from MGM and it's the Sci-Fi version and an incredible transfer - complete with the original unhappy ending (the happy ending is included as a bonus). No commentary, but I am happy enough with this that I might sell my A/B "limited edition" 2 disc set..

Does anybody know of plans to release this sci-fi channel version on HD?

OldBoy
09-29-07, 03:32 PM
But, what's really most important in the grand scheme of things is...

What is Xage's feelings on this whole matter?????????????

GoldenJCJ
09-29-07, 04:03 PM
I just picked up the Elite release a few weeks ago. Oh well, I only paid a couple of bucks for it. I'll wait for reviews before I buy but I'll probably bite no matter what.

I'm in the minority when I say I enjoy this one more than pt. 2

tylergfoster
09-29-07, 04:16 PM
Some people don't want to plunk money down on a dual format disc though if they don't have an HD-DVD player.

Especially for Army Of Darkness, considering how many releases this series gets.True, but it is currently on Amazon used for $19.50 and will continue to drop. I like the movie enough that I was willing to pay $20 for it, seeing as if I liked some new-release movie enough, I'd pay $20 with no features. And I definitely don't and will not ever own an HD-DVD player, I'm Blu-Ray all the way.

The sound is also stellar on the new disc BTW. If all other options sound lame I guess you could rent it and have someone burn it.

islandclaws
09-29-07, 04:17 PM
I just picked up the Elite release a few weeks ago. Oh well, I only paid a couple of bucks for it. I'll wait for reviews before I buy but I'll probably bite no matter what.

I think it's universally accepted that Elite's disc is the best and most preferred version available. I only bought the BotD because it looked so damn cool. It would take a lot to get me to bite on the new one. I don't even think a hi-def transfer (OAR, of course) would help becasue I don't want this movie to look <i>too</i> good.

xage
09-29-07, 04:41 PM
TIME TO KICK SOME ULTIMATE ASH!

THE EVIL DEAD RETURNS ON THREE DEMONIC DISCS BURSTING WITH BONUS FEATURES

More than 25 years ago, a low-budget movie its young producers called 'The Ultimate Experience In Grueling Terror' roared across movie screens and changed the velocity of fear forever!

Today, its ferocious ingenuity, relentless shocks and gore-gushing havoc remain an absolute standard of modern horror!

Now celebrate the original Sam Raimi masterpiece like never before with two versions of the movie, six new featurettes that revisit the film's cast, crew, biggest fans and undying legacy, plus a jaw-dropping torrent of never-before-seen production footage, outtakes and deleted scenes, reconstructed and restored for the first time ever!

$39.97 SRP (Canadian dollars)

It would be better if you can share what site you got the information? (My assumption is that its a Canadian site?)

Oh boy. I can't wait....yet ANOTHER version of THE EVIL DEAD.

I'm sure this one will be the REAL keeper.

Right.

Oh youre right.. for me, every EVIL DEAD R1 out there is a must keeps!

There was supposed to be an Evil Dead version with packaging like the cabin, I wonder if this will be it.

That is already a 2 yr old rumor...

You could build an entire DVD collection out of "Evil Dead" releases.

Not really...

But if its the only option out there aside from the R3 MGM AOD.. why not?

True, but it is currently on Amazon used for $19.50 and will continue to drop. I like the movie enough that I was willing to pay $20 for it.

Make sure what you got is the HD/DVD Combo for that price not the HD only release

I love how it just keeps coming over and over again

I feel your love Cameron!

Paging Xage......Paging Xage......

If "Within the Woods" is included, I'm in.

Valeyard, I got your Evil Dead signal! .... I agree with you, I hope they include Within the Woods (but its a 50/50 chances)

Thanks for giving Xage another opportunity to trot out his ED photos.

You got it Greenvulture... wm lopez here it is (excluding the following.. the AB:Horror Legacy Series, HD Only Army of Darkness and Evil Dead2: BluRay)

My Evil Dead Collection
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/xage00/ed_all_v2.jpg

But, what's really most important in the grand scheme of things is...

What is Xage's feelings on this whole matter?????????????

hehehe, Having my name mentioned three times already in this topic thread..

Scott my feeling is... I'm marking that date 12/18/07...!!!

cheap promo here:
I just posted my latest Evil Dead Aquisition in this thread: One/Only Evil Dead Series Versions thread (merged in effect thread) (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=183345&page=12&pp=25)

Matthew Ackerly
09-29-07, 05:12 PM
Hey Xage.. Can I ask where u scored a copy of the legacy series?

DonnachaOne
09-30-07, 03:44 AM
http://www.losanjealous.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/stacy.gif

darqleo
09-30-07, 10:23 AM
http://www.losanjealous.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/stacy.gif

:lol:

Star Wars Guy
10-01-07, 08:10 AM

Ditto. Still waiting on that myself.

Jonno2006
10-01-07, 10:01 AM
I'm actually happy about this! I never got around to buy the Book of the Dead edition since it was always too pricy. The only Evil Dead movie i have is Army of Darkness : Boomstick edition.

So i'll be picking this up when it comes out for sure! I'm glad i never dipped in the first place!

keith71
10-01-07, 01:42 PM
Eh, I'll have to see what the specs are and read some reviews before I would pick this baby up. I'm still happy with my Elite dvd, I just listened to Bruce's commentary for like the third time just last week.

OldBoy
10-01-07, 06:15 PM
My [color=red]Evil Dead Collection
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b221/xage00/ed_all_v2.jpg

[I]hehehe, Having my name mentioned three times already in this topic thread..

Scott my feeling is... I'm marking that date 12/18/07...!!!

cheap promo here:
I just posted my latest Evil Dead Aquisition in this thread: One/Only Evil Dead Series Versions thread (merged in effect thread) (http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=183345&page=12&pp=25)
yay!!!!
everytime i see that collection of Evil Dead's i can't help but to swoon...just a little bit!

OldBoy
10-01-07, 06:17 PM
ps) are the Book of the Dead editions OOP and worth anything?

ChristianB
10-01-07, 09:39 PM
Here's my proof:

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/5591/dsc00423ef3.jpg

Quack
10-01-07, 09:40 PM
Sweet....I've been looking forward to Hatchet!!!!! :clap:

halfgerman
10-01-07, 09:45 PM
Does that say 3 disc?

oh yeah.

mzupeman2
10-01-07, 10:04 PM
So much for the edition that was rumored a long time ago that was supposed to be packaged in a cabin. Unless the picture quality is drastically improved upon (and not sure how much it can be), I won't be dipping again.

xage
10-01-07, 10:19 PM
Here's my proof:

Oooh Christian Thanks for the proof .. Im having orgasm seeing it!

Cameron
10-01-07, 10:57 PM
hey xage you may have explained this before buy why no love for the Army of Darkness Hd combo disc.

Zen Peckinpah
10-01-07, 11:05 PM
That is one bitchin' cover. I believe it's the first time that art has been used for home video since the original Thorn EMI release from the early 80's, and I love it. The epitome of a crop of films that you judged the awesomeness by the cover.

An old friend of mine actually has the original 1-sheet with that design (and a Stephen King quote) signed by Bruce Campbell and a few of the women who were in it. Better get that Book of the Dead ready to go... :D

And I should be getting Evil Dead II on Blu-ray in the mail tomorrow!

EDIT: I forgot about the Elite SE with regards to the art.

Julie Walker
10-02-07, 01:38 AM
That is one bitchin' cover. I believe it's the first time that art has been used for home video since the original Thorn EMI release from the early 80's, and I love it. The epitome of a crop of films that you judged the awesomeness by the cover.

An old friend of mine actually has the original 1-sheet with that design (and a Stephen King quote) signed by Bruce Campbell and a few of the women who were in it. Better get that Book of the Dead ready to go... :D

And I should be getting Evil Dead II on Blu-ray in the mail tomorrow!

EDIT: I forgot about the Elite SE with regards to the art.

To be a total nerd. That is definitely the first time the original poster art has appeared on U.S. dvd. Since other versions of that art had slight modifications to the title font and other things. And it's good too see the old school original version on dvd finally. It does bring back memories of the Thorn EMI VHS,which I own.

steebo777
10-02-07, 09:13 AM
Sweet....I've been looking forward to Hatchet!!!!! :clap:
Exactly what I was thinking :)

scottp120
10-02-07, 09:51 AM
I'm in, even though this is like the 5th version of Evil Dead I have. Let's not get into the sequels or Dawn Of The Dead. I'm going to need a seperate section just for Evil Dead movies and Dawn Of The Dead.

Zen Peckinpah
10-02-07, 10:56 AM
Is Hatchet as good as people say?

Darth Maher
10-02-07, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I'll be triple-dipping. :)

islandclaws
10-02-07, 11:42 AM
Is Hatchet as good as people say?

Check the Hatchet thread in Movie Talk. It does a pretty good job of summing up what people think.

I thought it was fucking awesome and lots of fun.

JarJarBinks
10-02-07, 12:00 PM
Here's the specs. Sadly no Within' The Woods. But we knew that was unlikely with the problems.

The Evil Dead: Ultimate Edition 3-Disc Set

Disc 1: THE EVIL DEAD - Widescreen Version
Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
Audio:
Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround - English
Dolby Digital Surround EX - English
DTS 6.1 ES Surround - English
Additional Release Material:
Audio Commentary - Sam Raimi - Director; Robert Tapert - Producer
Featurette - ONE BY ONE WE WILL TAKE YOU: The Untold Saga of The EVIL DEAD

Disc 2: THE EVIL DEAD - Full Frame Version
Audio:
Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo Surround - English
Audio Commentary - Bruce Campbell - Star
Featurette - THE EVIL DEAD: TREASURES FROM THE CUTTING ROOM FLOOR

Disc 3: LADIES OF THE EVIL DEAD
Featurette - 1. LIFE AFTER DEATH: THE LADIES OF EVIL DEAD
2. The Ladies of THE EVIL DEAD Meet Bruce Campbell
3. Discovering The Evil Dead
4. At The Drive In
5. Make-Up Test
6. Unconventional
Trailer
TV Spots
Text/Photo Galleries:
Poster & Memorabilia Gallery
Still Gallery

Evil ASh
10-02-07, 12:09 PM
AnchorBay finally gives us the Full Frame version. YAY! And with new extras. YUM!
Now all I need to make my life complete is an Army of Darkness transfer that doesn't suck. And Evil Dead: The Musical on dvd ;)

Matthew Ackerly
10-02-07, 12:12 PM
considering I have only bought this once (The Book of The Dead), I will gladly pick this edition up. It's one of my fav films.

Peep
10-02-07, 01:13 PM
I'd be very interested in finding out the specs for the Blu-ray release.

Matthew Chmiel
10-02-07, 01:22 PM
Why can't the full frame version get the 5.1?

asim1
10-02-07, 02:19 PM
Here's the specs. Sadly no Within' The Woods. But we knew that was unlikely with the problems.

The Evil Dead: Ultimate Edition 3-Disc Set

Disc 1: THE EVIL DEAD - Widescreen Version
Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
Audio:
Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround - English
Dolby Digital Surround EX - English
DTS 6.1 ES Surround - English
Audio Commentary - Sam Raimi - Director; Robert Tapert - Producer
Featurette - ONE BY ONE WE WILL TAKE YOU: The Untold Saga of The EVIL DEAD

Disc 2: THE EVIL DEAD - Full Frame Version
Audio:
Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo Surround - English
Audio Commentary - Bruce Campbell - Star
Featurette - THE EVIL DEAD: TREASURES FROM THE CUTTING ROOM FLOOR

Disc 3: LADIES OF THE EVIL DEAD
Featurette - 1. LIFE AFTER DEATH: THE LADIES OF EVIL DEAD
2. The Ladies of THE EVIL DEAD Meet Bruce Campbell
3. Discovering The Evil Dead
4. At The Drive In
5. Make-Up Test
6. Unconventional
Trailer
TV Spots
Text/Photo Galleries:
Poster & Memorabilia Gallery
Still Gallery

Dear friend.. I m also a big fan of evil dead. thats very excited for me to hear about the new DVD release specially about the Full frame version bcz I don't like widescreen version i already have..
.. please can someone tell me..where was this good news come from and is that true???

I can't wait more...

tylergfoster
10-02-07, 02:24 PM
I'll be buying it, sure, but it sounds not as spectacular as one might have hoped.

asim1
10-02-07, 03:13 PM
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/132/436476158_6ea6f55a3e.jpg

Giles
10-02-07, 03:25 PM
Bruce looks sooooooooo unamused :lol:

Giles
10-02-07, 03:27 PM
I want a feature length film of the 'The Evil Dead Baby' ;)

critterdvd
10-02-07, 04:02 PM
Isn't this like the most released movie on DVD already?

ThatGuamGuy
10-02-07, 04:51 PM
It sounds pretty definitive. I bet even Anchor Bay knows they can't keep going after this one.

I bet Anchor Bay is thinking, "And next year, we'll start over in HD!"

ThatGuamGuy
10-02-07, 04:54 PM
I got the R3 version from MGM and it's the Sci-Fi version and an incredible transfer

My understanding is that the only difference between the R3 cut and the "director's cut" is the inclusion of the woman's shirt being ripped off, which Raimi does not approve of.

[Note: Yes, transfer-wise, there is a great difference, and that is the only version of the movie which I own, but I am just speaking about the cuts right now.]

lcnickell
10-02-07, 05:42 PM
My understanding is that the only difference between the R3 cut and the "director's cut" is the inclusion of the woman's shirt being ripped off, which Raimi does not approve of.

if he didn't approve of it, why the hell would he shoot it?

doesn't add or detract from the film-

sounds like a lame excuse.

halfgerman
10-02-07, 06:28 PM
That's not what I'd expect from a 3 disc set. Why is everyone excited about the full screen version on disc 2?

islandclaws
10-02-07, 06:36 PM
Specs suck. I hate it when a company does a balls-out job on the audio for one version of a film and the other (sometimes preferred) version gets squat. A great example of that would be Legend, where the DC got a DTS track and the theatrical cut (with Tangerine Dream's amazing score) got 2.0. Other than that the extras seem to be nothing special. Pass.

izatright
10-02-07, 10:01 PM
That's not what I'd expect from a 3 disc set. Why is everyone excited about the full screen version on disc 2?lol, exactly. That's a pretty lame "Ultimate." Unless those special features on disc three are somehow better than I read them out to be, I'm a passin'. Looks like I'm satisfied with the BOTD edition after all.

nezumi
10-02-07, 11:02 PM
if he didn't approve of it, why the hell would he shoot it?

doesn't add or detract from the film-

sounds like a lame excuse.
Producers often insist filmmakers shoot unnecessary scenes for marketing purposes. If the director objects, it usually falls to second unit or another director to shoot the footage. The producer then adds the scene to the cut without the director's approval in order to sell the film. I doubt that this would happen now that Raimi is a big-name director these days, but Army of Darkness was only his second film for Universal.

If the shot truly does not add or detract the film, then you would have no objection to the shot being left out. I'll stick with the theatrical cut.

Why is everyone excited about the full screen version on disc 2?

IMDb lists Evil Dead's original aspect ratio as being Academy ratio (1.37:1), meaning that "full screen" is a more accurate presentation than anamorphic widescreen.

Matthew Chmiel
10-02-07, 11:48 PM
Specs suck.
The two commentaries should be on both discs AND the full frame version should get both the Dolby Digital and DTS tracks along with the 2.0 surround track. For Christ's fucking sake, Anchor Bay put BOTH tracks on the full frame release over in the UK. Why can't they do it here?

1a) Also, where's the 18-minutes of Behind the Scenes Footage and Outtakes found on all previous incarnations of the film on DVD?
1b) If it's not listed, is it apart of the new featurette on disc two?

2) Where's the "Fanalysis" documentary from Anchor Bay's Book of the Dead release?

3) Where's the bonus material from the Anchor Bay ultimate set from the UK? That included a Sam Raimi interview along with four additional featurettes (devoted to the fan base, the film's marketing, 2001 Halloween Night screening of the film, and Bruce fuckin' Campbell himself).

Besides Within the Woods missing from action, yet again, this set doesn't seem so ultimate.

I honestly would've have waited, let Anchor Bay spend the dough, and get an ultimate four-disc set that threw Evil Dead II into the mix and more extras on top of that.

Julie Walker
10-03-07, 12:31 AM
I won't get upset over the specs. Since the poster did not post where he got them from. And for all we know,they could be incomplete or fake.

The only thing that would suck more if those specs are true. Is the original mono mix is still not included. But if the unmatted version is included. I can live without the mono for now.

asim1
10-03-07, 03:10 AM
Isn't this like the most released movie on DVD already?

I guess.. yes

izatright
10-03-07, 05:11 AM
IMDb lists Evil Dead's original aspect ratio as being Academy ratio (1.37:1), meaning that "full screen" is a more accurate presentation than anamorphic widescreen.Oh that's right. I keep forgetting this film was done on 16mm. I suppose a Full Screen treatment IS in order.

Still, I'm underwhelmed.

joltman
10-03-07, 07:19 AM
I'll be buying it, though I won't be rushing out to get it (not like the truly ultimate Dawn of the Dead UE). Now, instead of having the Elite and BOTD, I'll have the BOTD and this UE, since the BOTD has Fanalysis and cool packaging.

DarthVong
10-03-07, 10:16 AM
I'll probably pick this up eventually. I've got a feeling AB will be releasing a HalloweeN Ultimate Edition in the future.

mxv
10-03-07, 11:24 AM
Pardon my ignorance but why the excitement over full frame version? Was that actually the OAR?

Andalusia
10-03-07, 11:39 AM
I own both the BotD and Elite full-frame version, so I'm not seeing a need for this one. Including "Within the Woods" would have sold me on this, however.

steebo777
10-03-07, 12:19 PM
Pardon my ignorance but why the excitement over full frame version? Was that actually the OAR?
I believe so.

asim1
10-03-07, 01:43 PM
Here's my proof:

Which magazine is it????

Giles
10-03-07, 02:23 PM
at this point I'll just wait for the Bluray edition.

izatright
10-07-07, 10:36 PM
here's another pic I got in the new Anchor Bay horror trailer promo disc at FYE today (for free with purchase - at least at my store). The cover here looks alot different than the other one posted before:

http://members.cox.net/smarzioli1/evildead.jpg

dman988
10-07-07, 11:36 PM
That sounds like a pretty sucky set.

I like Evil Dead fine, but not enough to buy it a third time with lackluster features (the full frame doesn't enliven me, I'm fine with the WS transfer we have).
Oh well. 30 less bucks I have to spend.

halfgerman
10-07-07, 11:36 PM
That cover is damn terrible.

tylergfoster
10-07-07, 11:37 PM
I really hope the cover from the magazine is the outside and the flyer shows an internal cover, or something. The cover from the magazine is great.

izatright
10-08-07, 12:27 AM
That cover is damn terrible.
Oh, I dunno. That's a mighty fine looking cabin.

As for the Full Screen version, I'm a perfectionist as far as a film being as close to the original theatrical release as possible (with obvious exceptions). I'll get it for that and the extras. Granted I'll probably buy it used. But this will mark the first time I've double dipped WITHOUT selling the previous version. I'm keeping my BOTD editions.

Peep
10-08-07, 12:47 AM
That's a cover on Xage could love.

:(

izatright
10-08-07, 06:26 AM
They should have used a solo shot of the Classic! Now THAT would have been a worthy cover.

alfonsosoriano
10-08-07, 08:02 AM
I only own the Book of the Dead version. I may as well just go ahead and get this one, lol.

Matthew Ackerly
10-08-07, 08:22 AM
Wasn't this supposed to be released as a 'Cabin box set" which was the dvd's housed in a replica of the cabin?

I thought I read that somwhere.

tylergfoster
10-08-07, 01:30 PM
This version should just come with Bruce Campbell.

mr. coolman
10-10-07, 04:18 AM
http://i21.servimg.com/u/f21/10/07/32/46/tedue10.jpg

Greg MacGuffin
10-10-07, 08:27 AM
That looks great. I love the folded poster effect.

Dane Marvin
10-10-07, 10:59 AM
I've stayed away from all previous versions of this film on DVD, but I will succumb to this purchase.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
10-10-07, 11:33 AM
I was reading that the directors cut of Army of Darkness is actually just the international version and that the true director's cut is longer than that.

True?

edit: I guess it is and the best version is the Hong Kong one.

canaryfarmer
10-10-07, 01:14 PM
That's a great cover. Waiting on reviews before purchasing, though.

The Monkees
10-10-07, 10:30 PM
I own 2 versions of this film and might as well make it the lucky 3 and buy this one too.

I'm not sure yet, but I'll probably pick it up.

Jay G.
10-10-07, 10:39 PM
I was reading that the directors cut of Army of Darkness is actually just the international version and that the true director's cut is longer than that.

True?

edit: I guess it is and the best version is the Hong Kong one.
Don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia. The Original Director's Cut that's available on DVD is not the same cut as was released internationally. The most notable difference is in regards to when Henry the Red appears at the final battle.

Also, there isn't really one "International Cut," the film received different edits and endings in various markets overseas. Also, what was released theatrically in a country may differ from what was released on video there.

IMDB has a brief rundown:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106308/alternateversions

Note that the Original Director's Cut is just that: the cut that the director originally submitted to the studio, before the studio requested changes. Raimi took the opportunity of a re-edit to make some changes of his own. Thus, some changes made were for the worse, some for the better, as the commentary on the DC attests. There isn't a "true" director's cut of this film though, since Raimi has never had free reign to make his own edit of the film after the original one he submitted.

The R3 DVD is just the Original Director's Cut with a few seconds of dress-slashing added back in. It's not an "ultimate" version of the film, although it does contain the most footage so far of any version released on DVD.

DrStrangeL0ve71
10-11-07, 12:50 AM
still never got this so I'll probably pick it up.

mikey horror
10-11-07, 12:57 PM
Just out of curiosity, how could anyone consider themselves a fan of this movie if they haven't bought at least one of the countless versions by now?

Evil ASh
10-11-07, 02:34 PM
Just out of curiosity, how could anyone consider themselves a fan of this movie if they haven't bought at least one of the countless versions by now?
Maybe he's not a fan? :)

PS
I've just recently converted someone to the Evil Dead/Bruce Campbell. All it took is one showing of the original Evil Dead. The person then bought and watched the other two on their own during the next two days and is a huge fan of anything Bruce Campbell-related. My life is complete now :)

izatright
10-11-07, 04:33 PM
Don't show them The Man With the Screaming Brain or you'll undo all your hard work!

Evil ASh
10-11-07, 08:16 PM
Don't show them The Man With the Screaming Brain or you'll undo all your hard work!
Oh c'mon, it's not THAT bad!... Ok, yes it is... But I sort of liked it :)

asim1
10-19-07, 12:04 PM
EVIL DEAD Ultimate Edition DVD check it out (http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/the-evil-dead.html)

hanshotfirst1138
10-19-07, 12:33 PM
This is practically an annual event. The government should get involved and designate a holiday every year for the DVD reissue's release date. It will be Evil Holi-dead day!

No kidding. If you've got the Elite disc of the first, pretty much any release of the second, and the R3 version of AOD, you're pretty much set. Are there enough Evil Dead release yet? I swear...

Cameron
12-19-07, 03:14 PM
ok so do i need to keep my elite dvd, or the book of the dead on this one

Willh51
12-19-07, 04:24 PM
I never owned this before and got the new edition, which has fantastic packaging that I find far superior to the stinky book of the deads.

visitor Q
12-19-07, 07:00 PM

If I'm not mistaken, the original Elite release was the OAR version - 4:3 aspect ratio and it went OOP. However, DVDCompare (http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=949) refers to the following fact about the follow up Book and SE releases: "The 1.85:1 Anamorphic Aspect Ratio has been authorised by Director Sam Raimi but is a Re-Framed Version based on the OAR of 4:3."

So, 1) the original release could not be had for some of the film purists and 2) there's some question if the follow up releases are .... I don't know, acceptable?

Just wagering a guess, really. I haven't seen both versions to see whether or not any video information was lost (or gained) in the widescreen conversion process.

I'm sure there must be an expert on the matter that could chime in ... as I'd love to know what the ".. a Re-Framed Version based on the OAR of 4:3" really means ... in general and with respect to the Evil Dead releases.

Rockmjd23
12-19-07, 07:09 PM
I sold my Elite version, and probably will sell my smelly BOD too.

Julie Walker
12-19-07, 11:22 PM
I think this set is pretty damn good and will be the last purchase ever of the film for myself. The only thing that would make me consider repurchasing it,is if everything here + the original mono mix were included.

Otherwise, it contains the full uncut untampered with film(no deleting lighting striking tree for example,as in Elite print). The picture is not as excessively bright as past releases. The full frame unmatted image that looks framed better than excessively tight widescreen version. And the movie and special features are all closed captioned.

So all in all, this is a worthy release to have.

joltman
12-20-07, 06:59 AM
ok so do i need to keep my elite dvd, or the book of the dead on this one
The only thing that's missing from the Elite is 'Behind The Scenes Footage & Outtakes' (18mins) although that footage might have been integrated into 'The Evil Dead: Treasures from the Cutting Room Floor'.
From the BOTD, it's missing Fanalysis and Talent Bios. Also, the BOTD has the above 'Behind The Scenes Footage & Outtakes' so I'd say keep the BOTD, mainly for Fanalysis, and get rid of the Elite.

islandclaws
12-20-07, 11:33 AM
I almost bought this on Tues, but why couldn't they give the full-frame version on disc 2 the same audio as the widescreen version. They give an improper ratio cut DTS, but the proper full-frame ratio gets 2.0? I know people like to have the original mixes, but I would have liked to have the option for a better audio track, especially considering that my Elite version has a 5.1 track.

darmok
12-20-07, 01:23 PM
ah, but AB needs reason to reissue this movie again...

I almost bought this on Tues, but why couldn't they give the full-frame version on disc 2 the same audio as the widescreen version. They give an improper ratio cut DTS, but the proper full-frame ratio gets 2.0? I know people like to have the original mixes, but I would have liked to have the option for a better audio track, especially considering that my Elite version has a 5.1 track.

Peep
12-20-07, 01:53 PM
Where's the Blu-Ray?

DJariya
12-20-07, 08:54 PM
Is this the absolute best release for this movie? I've seen this movie released dozens of times in the last 9 years.

AGENTCLPT
12-20-07, 10:11 PM
I'm holding out until they release a version with Evil Dead: The Musical

Mike

Spider-Man
12-20-07, 10:33 PM
Is this the absolute best release for this movie? I've seen this movie released dozens of times in the last 9 years.
Yeah, pretty much.

Takeshi357
12-21-07, 07:58 AM
If you're gonna be a video purist, why can't you be an audio purist too? Especially when the original audio mix was frikkin' mono, the surround tracks hardly make a difference...

Where's the Blu-Ray?
Considering how bad the film stock is, I don't really think Evil Dead is one of those movies to take any advantage of hi-def. Hell, you could even argue that it's supposed to look like crap, like Bad Taste or other amateur movies...

islandclaws
12-21-07, 11:38 AM
If you're gonna be a video purist, why can't you be an audio purist too? Especially when the original audio mix was frikkin' mono, the surround tracks hardly make a difference...

True, but even if that were the case a DTS mix would beef up the sound considerably, regardless of where it's coming from. I know it's a front-loaded track, but, video purist or not, I want my dead sounding as loud and clear as possible.