Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Anybody going to the National Book Festival in D.C.?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-07, 08:01 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happening this Saturday (9/29) on the Mall in DC:

http://www.loc.gov/bookfest/

I'm going to try to get my copy of Six Days of War: June 1967 and the Making of the Modern East signed by Michael Oren, and The War by Ken Burns. Additionally, they're going to have several presentations from veterans for the Veterans History Project which should be pretty interesting. Obviously they're going to have much more there, but I'm into the History aspect

Last edited by Cronius; 09-27-07 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-27-07, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would LOVE to go, and I will go next year but this year is out of the question. I only know of Ken Burns and James Swanson, hopefully next year I'll read all the books of the history authors that are there.
Old 09-28-07, 01:29 AM

This looks like an amazing event; please post some highlights for us slackers that can't make the journey.
Old 09-28-07, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I never have made it down there, even though I usually intend to. The line-up this year wasn't as interesting to me. But maybe next year.

Let us know how the crowds are, etc.
Old 09-30-07, 07:42 PM
Cool New Member

Well I went yesterday and overall it was very good. They had tents for each genre; history/biography, poetry, fiction, mystery, etc. And at each there was a schedule for speakers, usually authors, who fielded questions afterwards and sometimes signings. Towards the afternoon it was absolutely packed with people, but event staff/volunteers handled the crowds very well, especially at the book signing stations. I acquired some lessons learned for next year:

- Give yourself enough time to buy the books you want signed beforehand on Amazon (cheaper, don't have to wait in line 30min)
- Bring a bookbag with water, snacks, and lunch if desired. They had places to eat lunch but naturally they were packed. I, however, went to the cafeteria at the National Gallery of Art on Madison and 7th and it was nearly empty - good alternate spot, though it is expensive.
- Check weather; if it's bright and sunny, in the 80's, do not wear a black shirt. OMG the sun was beating me mercilessly.
- If an author is really popular, get to the signing station 1 hour before. I got to Ken Burns' station 45 minutes beforehand and by the time I got up to him he only had 10 minutes left.

But without further adieu, here's the signings I got - could've gotten more with better planning/preparation, but not bad for first year:

Here is The War by Geoffrey Ward and Ken Burns. The signatures, in order, are:
1. Ward Chamberlin - Vet of WWII, and is featured in the documentary. Gave speech on his experiences and signed afterwards.
2. Lynn Novich - Director/Producer for documentary
3. Sarah Botstein - Producer for documentary
4. Ken Burns
5. Geoffrey ward

Here's a pic of Chamberlin, from the inside cover of The War

And here is Michael Oren's. I had errands to run beforehand and forgot my Six Days of War, but I got his latest:

So if any of you guys can make it next year, I highly recommend it!
Old 10-01-07, 01:57 AM

Wow Peter, that looks like a great event! Thanks for posting your trip report, I hope to make this event one day.