Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Why don't washing machines have buzzers?

Numanoid
09-26-07, 03:16 PM
I've never owned, nor did my parents own, a washing machine that had any kind of end-of-cycle alarm. All dryers come with buzzers to let you know it's time to tend to the clothes, but I'm constantly forgetting about the load in the washer. It really doesn't make sense for the manufacturers to not include a simple buzzer to let you know you need to move the clothes to the dryer.

Can anyone explain why these aren't standard issue? And if you have one on your machine, great, I'm jealous.

Minor Threat
09-26-07, 03:21 PM
Our Kenmore 4292x Front Load Washer has one.....

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr.
09-26-07, 03:24 PM
mine does. whirlpool

shoppingbear
09-26-07, 03:28 PM
:hscratch: I assume that you need one on the dryer so you can take clothes out right away, before they wrinkle. Since this isn't an issue when taking clothes out of the washer, I guess they figured you don't need it? :shrug:

What I want is a way to have the dryer or washer page or call me, because it's 3 floors away and it's easy to forget what time you put stuff in. :lol:

Giles
09-26-07, 03:34 PM
mine doesn't have a buzzer, it just emits a very loud PING! and throws the remaining water and clothes ten feet into the air.

zuffy
09-26-07, 03:35 PM
My LG washer has one.

C-Mart
09-26-07, 03:40 PM
I think mine does as well - I'm pretty sure we have it turned off, as well as the dryer buzzer.

Numanoid
09-26-07, 03:43 PM
mine doesn't have a buzzer, it just emits a very loud PING! and throws the remaining water and clothes ten feet into the air.I think you've been washing your clothes in the toaster.

WallyOPD
09-26-07, 03:45 PM
My mom's washer has one, I'm not sure what brand it is though. On the other hand, neither my washer or dryer has any end-of-cycle indicator.

Giles
09-26-07, 03:46 PM
I think you've been washing your clothes in the toaster.

oh is that it ?! rotfl

dick_grayson
09-26-07, 03:46 PM
my washer does not (some old ge stackable unit). the dryer has a buzzer and it is about as loud as siren that goes off during a hockey game when a goal is scored. It's a great way to be awoken in the middle of the night.

atlantamoi
09-26-07, 04:08 PM
Our new LG has a pretty little tune when done.

eXcentris
09-26-07, 04:15 PM
I'm more concerned about actually still having to transfer the clothes from the washer to the dryer. You can buy combo units where the dryer is on top of the washer. They should do the reverse, have the washer on top and when the washing is done, some trap door opens and clothes end up in the dryer and it automatically starts. :)

Mole177
09-26-07, 04:17 PM

rotfl

that's a good one.

Kittydreamer
09-26-07, 04:17 PM
Mine doesn't but that's ok. I know when they're done when the laundry rooms stops shaking.

eXcentris
09-26-07, 04:19 PM
Mine doesn't but that's ok. I know we're done when the laundry rooms stops shaking.

Naughty kitty... :p

Kittydreamer
09-26-07, 04:22 PM
Naughty kitty... :p

SPIN CYCLE! SPIN CYCLE! WWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

AGuyNamedMike
09-26-07, 04:23 PM
I'm more concerned about actually still having to transfer the clothes from the washer to the dryer. You can buy combo units where the dryer is on top of the washer. They should do the reverse, have the washer on top and when the washing is done, some trap door opens and clothes end up in the dryer and it automatically starts. :)

or an all-in-one like this beauty:

http://ca.lge.com/fr/products/model/detail/appareilscombines_wm3677.jhtml

TGM
09-26-07, 04:23 PM
Why don't washing machines have buzzers?

because she wouldn't wear one...

IDrinkMolson
09-26-07, 04:35 PM
I can't stand the buzzer. It is soo annoying. But, then again, the wife does all of the laundry, so I'm happy about that. I guess it all washes out.

j123vt_99
09-26-07, 04:45 PM
I'm 90% sure my dryer doesn't have one. I think it's a Whirlpool

Jadzia
09-26-07, 05:24 PM
Mine doesn't but that's ok. I know when they're done when the laundry rooms stops shaking.

My washing machine used to sound like the whole house was coming down during the spin cycle. I recently had the laundry room remodeled and the guys re-balanced the machine and now it is so quiet. I guess the delivery guys from Sears who had first installed it did not balance it at all. I once accidentally left a bottle of laundry detergent on top of the washer and it flew off during the spin cycle and spilled everywhere. That was a mess to clean up.

matta
09-26-07, 06:08 PM
Mine has a voice that comes on and tells me that my clothes are done. I always thought it was funny that the default language is spanish.

Bronkster
09-26-07, 06:26 PM
Dryer does, washer doesn't. They're both in the garage so it wouldn't matter anyway. I use one of those 1-hour kitchen timer things because I would totally space out and forget I was doing laundry.

Giantrobo
09-26-07, 07:36 PM
Actually, I think a kick ass idea would be a pager you can wear when washing and drying. When you think about it, a good chunk of time is wasted when the cycles stop but you don't realize it until 30 minutes after so then you rush to take the clothes out or transfer them to the dryer. With the pager you'll know right away when the cycle stops and you can do what you need to do.

EdTheRipper
09-26-07, 07:58 PM
My washer plays Jingle Bells when it's finished. I have no idea why it plays that particular song or if there's even any way to change it.

Pressplay
09-26-07, 08:04 PM
Mine does and it even gives you a choice of many levels of loudness!

7Keys
09-26-07, 08:16 PM
Mine doesn't but, but it's so loud when its washing I can hear it when it stops.

Giles
09-27-07, 09:28 AM
Why don't washing machines have buzzers?

because she wouldn't wear one...

:rimshot:

rotfl

zuffy
09-27-07, 10:00 AM
Actually, I think a kick ass idea would be a pager you can wear when washing and drying. When you think about it, a good chunk of time is wasted when the cycles stop but you don't realize it until 30 minutes after so then you rush to take the clothes out or transfer them to the dryer. With the pager you'll know right away when the cycle stops and you can do what you need to do.

Not pager like but for my LG washer, they sell a remote monitor kit that just plug into an outlet and you see the time remaining on the wash.

Deftones
09-27-07, 10:04 AM
My Whirlpool frontloader does. Loud son of a bitch.

Bronkster
09-27-07, 10:13 AM
Actually, I think a kick ass idea would be a pager you can wear when washing and drying.
Just more clutter for Mojo's man-purse! http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/Bronkster/gaah.gif

Michael Corvin
09-27-07, 10:27 AM

rotfl

Dave99
09-27-07, 11:19 AM
Mine beeps about 10 times. It gets annoying quickly. At least I can turn the volume down on it.

brooke789
09-27-07, 11:48 AM
Both my washer & dryer have buzzers (4 year old whirlpools) but I actually keep the buzzer on teh washer turned off. Because I can't take the clothes out of the washer until the dryer is finished anyway, so only need the one going off.

RunBandoRun
09-27-07, 12:19 PM
I just bought a Kenmore stacked laundry center. I think both the washer and the drier have end-of-cycle buzzers. They sure are loud, too. But I don't care because it's so cool to be able to do the laundry at home. Most times I throw a load in the washer on the way out of the house in the morning, so I wouldn't hear the washer buzzer anyway.

4KRG
09-27-07, 12:38 PM
Looks like it is a model specific option.

We rented a house on vacation one time that had one of these in it

http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-Inventory/Appliances/washer-dryer-combination

It was interesting, it took too long to wash/dry clothes though.

I have always wondered about this thing and if it worked.

http://www.cyberbrands.com/pub/powerwashanddry.html

shoppingbear
09-27-07, 03:19 PM
What I want is a way to have the dryer or washer page or call me, because it's 3 floors away and it's easy to forget what time you put stuff in. :lol:
'Robo has me on ignore... -ohbfrank-

:p

Numanoid
09-27-07, 03:52 PM
Because I can't take the clothes out of the washer until the dryer is finished anyway, so only need the one going off.You never have a first load?

Sean O'Hara
09-27-07, 04:01 PM
I don't see much point to an alarm on the washer -- it goes off and you have to wait twenty, thirty minutes for the drier to finish. It would only be useful for the first load.

Numanoid
09-27-07, 05:08 PM
I don't see much point to an alarm on the washer -- it goes off and you have to wait twenty, thirty minutes for the drier to finish. It would only be useful for the first load.Umm, yeah. Exactly. And if you only do one load at a time, it would always be useful.

matta
09-27-07, 06:00 PM
I don't see much point to an alarm on the washer -- it goes off and you have to wait twenty, thirty minutes for the drier to finish. It would only be useful for the first load.

Some fabrics don't go into the dryer. Just the washer and that's it.

Also, on many front-load system, the washer takes longer than the dryer. For instance, if I use the steamwash or sanitary cycles on my washer, it takes 1.5-2 hours for the washer to finish the load. The dryer is done in 20-30 minutes. So, having an alarm on both makes sense since the dryer alarm allows me to get the clothes out before they wrinkle, and the washer alarm tells me when to switch machines.

El Scorcho
09-27-07, 06:24 PM
Fuck buzzers on equipment, especially mandatory ones.

My fucking dryer that came with my condo has a buzzer that you can't turn off that I am pretty sure is a recycled buzzer from an NBA 24-second clock.

Since it's a 1-floor condo, this basically means I can't start a load of clothes in the dryer and go to bed -- I have to wait for the god damn thing.

criptik28
09-27-07, 06:27 PM
Mine does.

rw2516
09-27-07, 08:12 PM
My washing machine used to sound like the whole house was coming down during the spin cycle. I recently had the laundry room remodeled and the guys re-balanced the machine and now it is so quiet. I guess the delivery guys from Sears who had first installed it did not balance it at all. I once accidentally left a bottle of laundry detergent on top of the washer and it flew off during the spin cycle and spilled everywhere. That was a mess to clean up.

Had one with a bent leg that would walk across the room during spin cycle. The whole washer would walk about four feet before being stopped by the door to the laundy room. Had to sit on it during spin in orderto keep it in place.