TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Life - Series Premiere - 09/26/07

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-07, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Life - Series Premiere - 09/26/07

http://www.nbc.com/Life/
A former police officer returns to the force after having been wrongly imprisoned for years.
One of the few new shows that looks intriguing to me.
Old 09-26-07, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I enjoyed this pilot more than the one for Journeyman, so I'm also more onboard with this show than that other new NBC show.
Old 09-26-07, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Life is the new Raines.

I’m looking forward to Life as well & it looks much more entertaining than any of the other new shows NBC is airing this season. Sadly, I think this show will get crushed in the ratings. It’s going against CSI: NY & ABC’s new series, Dirty Sexy Money, starring Donald Sutherland.

I’m going to be watching all 3 shows in that timeslot (Record on VCR) & out of the three, I’m looking forward to Life the most. CSI: NY is good but it’s starting to be as repetitive & boring as CSI: Miami. Dirty Sexy Money has some potential but it’s on ABC so they’ll probably just end up having sex for 40 minutes every episode & the characters will probably be just as useless & annoying as the Grey’s Anatomy & Ugly Betty characters are.
Old 09-26-07, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got bored of it half way through. Not my type of show
Old 09-26-07, 10:17 PM

i find it odd he rejoined the police
Old 09-26-07, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Being on the police force offers him access to amenities that will help him find out who framed him.
Old 09-26-07, 10:21 PM

I liked it, but I can see why people would hate this show. Charlie is definitely a "love him or hate him" character. I'm willing to give the show a few more episodes to see if it grows on me. Curious to see what the ratings will be against CSI:NY and Dirty Sexy Money
Old 09-26-07, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
Life is the new Raines.

I’m looking forward to Life as well & it looks much more entertaining than any of the other new shows NBC is airing this season. Sadly, I think this show will get crushed in the ratings. It’s going against CSI: NY & ABC’s new series, Dirty Sexy Money, starring Donald Sutherland.
Yeah, it is quirky. I really liked Raines and I like Life so I have no doubt it will, as you say, be crushed.
Old 09-26-07, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts
I liked it as well. It basically your standard police procedural but the few twists it adds to the premise makes it worth sticking with.

Plus, I'm a fan of Damien Lewis. I'm not sure I'd like the character as much if it were a different actor. Adam Arkin is always fun to watch too. And it's funny seeing Deadwood's Calamity Jane looking cleaned up and fairly pretty.
Old 09-26-07, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked it, but I'm also a fan of Damien Lewis because of Band of Brothers.

I wonder how many former BOB cast members will guest star on this show? After one episode the count is 1: Sgt Bull Randleman as the father in prison
Old 09-26-07, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Patman
Being on the police force offers him access to amenities that will help him find out who framed him.
id think with all the money he could buy anything relating to that
Old 09-27-07, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
My wife and I both enjoyed it, and yes, we definitely discussed it in the context of Raines. Didn't think it was anything like Raines, but what else is there to compare it to.

But have to disagree with 'your standard police procedural show'. Yeah, it's a cop show, but we saw it as far from basic procedure.

My wife blinked when the addiction/dpendency issue was established in the LT's office, so she was kinda lost for a second during the whole snowstorm scene......

Last edited by Jobronie; 09-27-07 at 05:16 AM.
Old 09-27-07, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Damian Lewis
Michelle Ryan of Bionic Woman
Hugh Lauris of House
Jacqueline McKenzie of The 4400.

They all think they're fooling me with those accents! More FUHRREIGNERS taking jobs away from AMURRICANS!

Anyway, I liked the show quite a bit. Unfortunately, with the competition it faces, it's going to be a tough run.
Old 09-27-07, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
This was my least favorite of the fall pilots...I just can't believe a guy would act that way (even if he was into Zen) after spending 12 years in prison. You'd think he'd be more pissed off and "darker". I also don't buy that he wouldn't know what an IM was. Even if he was totally cut off from society in prison, he's been out for four months!
Old 09-27-07, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I liked this a lot and I'd rank it as one of the better pilots so far this year. I found the main character interesting, thought it had decent dialogue and it wasn't overly flashy. I'll tune in again.
Old 09-27-07, 11:40 AM

It was good, i loved the ending.
Old 09-27-07, 11:44 AM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
I dug it, got a season pass now.
Old 09-27-07, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
After watching all four of the NBC drama pilots via Amazon's free preview, this was the one that stuck with me the most. And it was the one I was least interested in to begin with.

Damian Lewis is a great actor, and this is a terrific character part for him. It's the first time that a "Kung Fu"-type zen guy has really worked on a police procedural for me. Here's hoping the character takes off, like House did--although I hope they don't overdo the humor or skirt-chasing to make that possible.

Last edited by adamblast; 09-27-07 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-27-07, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I really liked this show as well. Was that the female bad-guy from Dumb & Dumber as the new parnter? I didn't get the drug dependancy thing in LTs office until my wife pointed it out during the "snowstorm" scene. Also, in the ending:

Spoiler:
was that LT's picture on his wall?

His slight speech impediment was a bit distracting, but otherwise I think this show is up there for me. Will definately put it on to record the whole series.
Old 09-27-07, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by C-Mart
I really liked this show as well. Was that the female bad-guy from Dumb & Dumber as the new parnter? I didn't get the drug dependancy thing in LTs office until my wife pointed it out during the "snowstorm" scene. Also, in the ending:

Spoiler:
was that LT's picture on his wall?

His slight speech impediment was a bit distracting, but otherwise I think this show is up there for me. Will definately put it on to record the whole series.
Yes, it was was the LT.
Old 09-27-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well I was expecting to enjoy Life, & I did.

Pretty impressive “Pilot”, wasn’t ‘Groundbreaking’ or anything but it got the ball rolling & left me wanting to keep tuning in for more… You know the 6 more episode it’ll be on for until it gets cancelled.

My comment, ‘Life is the new Raines’ was more in line with what the ratings will probably be like. There are a lot of similarities to Raines in terms of the lead being a ‘Quirky’ character (Jeff Goldblum is a better 'Quirky' though). I think, from the “Pilot” episode anyway, this could actually be even better than Raines. I enjoy the ‘Detective in jail, gets out, becomes detective again’ concept & it’s definitely more entertaining than the repetitive (but I still watch it), CSI: NY, which is on at the same time.

The whole thing with Charlie not knowing anything about Cell Phones was pretty funny & the part where he was in the car & Reese called him was pretty good. I don’t always like when Crime Dramas try to hard to be funny but this one did it pretty well, without it seeming forced & out of place.

Damian Lewis puts on a pretty good performance & Sarah Shahi (Who I’ve seen on ER & Reba) was pretty good as well.

I’ll keep tuning in until it gets pulled.
Old 09-27-07, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by firteen88
Got bored of it half way through. Not my type of show
Same here.
Old 09-27-07, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JetSter735180
It was good, i loved the ending.
I'm glad I saw this before NBC begans its marketing campaign because the ads totally gave away the ending, and I was pleasantly surprised by the reveal of the stuff on the walls, and his new life's purpose, finding the people who framed him for a heinous murder.
Old 09-27-07, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by TruGator
I liked it, but I'm also a fan of Damien Lewis because of Band of Brothers.

I wonder how many former BOB cast members will guest star on this show? After one episode the count is 1: Sgt Bull Randleman as the father in prison
I watched this mainly because I liked Lewis from B-o-B. I must admit that I totally missed Bull playing the prisoner. I thought he looked a little familiar, but didn't give it any more thought.

I liked it enough to tune in again.
Old 09-27-07, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I enjoyed this as well. I especially like the relationship he has with the ex-CEO who he saved while in prison. For whatever reason that intrigues me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.