Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Film Tech Dies on the set of the New Batman Movie

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-25-07, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Batman" film technician dies in accident
Tuesday September 25 11:33 AM ET

A special effects technician involved in the filming of the new Batman movie has died in a car accident, the film's producers said on Tuesday.

An investigation has been launched after the man was killed when his 4x4 vehicle crashed into a tree during a dummy film run, Warner Brothers said in a statement.

The studio said that none of the cast, which includes several Hollywood stars, was involved in the accident that occurred at a special effects facility.

ADVERTISEMENT

It added the fatal crash did not happen on the set or during filming for "Batman: The Dark Knight."

Media reports said the vehicle was following a stunt car, believed to be the Batmobile, at a property near Chertsey, Surrey.

"There was a fatal accident ... at a special effects facility for "The Dark Knight," the studio said in a statement. "A special effects technician on the film was in a truck that struck a tree at the end of a test run-through."

The name of the deceased has not been released.

An HSE spokesman added: "There was filming of some sort involving a vehicle stunt and there was an accident.

"It appears one vehicle was undertaking some stunt driving and another 4x4 provided the camera platform. The second vehicle and a camera operator were involved in a collision with a tree."

"Batman: The Dark Knight," starring Christian Bale, Michael Caine as his butler, Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman, is due for release in the United Kingdom next year.

Most of the film, British director Christopher Nolan's follow-up to "Batman Begins," has been shot in Chicago, with other scenes from London and Hong Kong.
Old 09-25-07, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That sucks. I always hate to hear about crew dying on a film set because no film is worth dying for. Although I suppose some could argue that they died doing what they love, but it still isn't worth it. Not to make light of it, but at least it was for a (potentially) good film. Imagine dying for Herbie: Fully Loaded.
Old 09-25-07, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts
The studio said that none of the cast, which includes several Hollywood stars, was involved in the accident that occurred at a special effects facility.
Phew, that's a relief. For a second there I thought this might have been a tragedy!
Old 09-25-07, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Phew, that's a relief. For a second there I thought this might have been a tragedy!
I was going to say the same thing. Glad no one important was hurt...
Old 09-25-07, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not to make light of it, but at least it was for a (potentially) good film. Imagine dying for Herbie: Fully Loaded.
I remember when two stunt people were killed doing stunts on the Danny Glover/Joe Pesci movie "Gone Fishin'" many years ago.
Old 09-25-07, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Lets not forget the death while making A Vampire in Brooklyn.
Old 09-25-07, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It would nice to know the source of the story.
Old 09-25-07, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think "on the set" is a bit misleading.
Old 09-25-07, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
It would nice to know the source of the story.
I had posted this story earlier in the batman thread...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...ey/7012317.stm
Old 09-25-07, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
I guess Batman couldn't save the day. Kinda like Spidey couldn't save the guy on the first movie that got killed.
Old 09-25-07, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
That sucks. I always hate to hear about crew dying on a film set because no film is worth dying for.
Bah'. Car accidents aren't worth dying for. Very little is worth dying for. But you gotta deal with it. Or you might as well be confined to a closet.

People die on the job all the time.
Old 09-25-07, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Sad to hear...
Old 09-26-07, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
Lets not forget the death while making A Vampire in Brooklyn.
Eddie's career?
Old 09-26-07, 09:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Old 09-26-07, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by conscience
I was going to say the same thing. Glad no one important was hurt...
That’s how it got treated on my local CBC news last night. A 30 second story with clips of the truck flipping over & the news anchor saying, ‘A stunt actor was killed during a dummy film run for the new Batman movie, no one else was killed’, Then-‘The new Batman movie is set to be released in theatres, in 08’’. Yeah, thanks for telling me when the movie is coming out, who cares about the person who got killed eh?

Now back to more important stories, like OJ & Brittany Spears...
Old 09-26-07, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
That’s how it got treated on my local CBC news last night. A 30 second story with clips of the truck flipping over & the news anchor saying, ‘A stunt actor was killed during a dummy film run for the new Batman movie, no one else was killed’, Then-‘The new Batman movie is set to be released in theatres, in 08’’. Yeah, thanks for telling me when the movie is coming out, who cares about the person who got killed eh?

Now back to more important stories, like OJ & Brittany Spears...
While there are plenty of reasons to criticize the news media I think this critiscm is a bit unfounded. I think the information provided was just that, information. I'm sure there are a lot of people unaware that they are making a new Batman movie. I also can't blame them for stating that the cast wasn't involved as people would probably be curious about that as well.