Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Comedy Reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-07, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comedy Reccomendations

I run the Film Club at my high school and our first meeting is coming up quickly.

We try to screen a lot of independent and foreign movies, but we also like to balance that with some more popular films, and we're looking for something to screen for the first meeting that won't scare the new members away. Anything with a quirky sense of humor, or that's indie is perfectly fine, though more popular movies are also acceptable.

Reccomend any and all comedies that you enjoyed that fit the following criteria:

- Cannot be R-rated (we can screen R-rated movies, but as a rule we don't show one for the first meeting so people can have time to bring in the necessary permission slips)

- Cannot be foreign (Although we love foreign movies, we don't want to leap right into them from the get-go)

Thanks a lot for your imput.

Last edited by lefableuxdestin; 09-23-07 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-23-07, 02:21 PM

Offhand, I'd say "Monty Python and the Holy Grail." Or maybe "The Party" with Peter Sellers, or "A Shot in the Dark" (that one being the best of the Pink Panther movies, IMO), which are both great examples of slapstick comedy. That's if you're going for more classic-type, older comedies. If you want something modern and accessible, I think all of the Will Farrell movies are PG-13. I'm not a big fan, but it might be a good way to get people into the club, since I'm sure most people have heard of his movies.

I also thought of Austin Powers movies (the first two) and Christopher Guest movies, especially "Spinal Tap." It really is hard to find newer comedies that are either mainstream or indie that aren't rated R. You can get more adventurous once you get those permission slips.

Last edited by Breton; 09-23-07 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-24-07, 03:16 AM

"What about Bob?" is my recommendation.
Old 09-24-07, 05:49 AM
Cool New Member

As far as the PG-13 range goes, I'd say any of Adam Sandler's better movies like Happy Gilmore, Big Daddy, Anger Management, or Click. Also Kung Pow: Enter The Fist, an extremely funny (for the most part) parody/tribute to martial arts flicks.
Old 09-24-07, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Start with Ghostbusters or Young Frankenstein & get the Halloween vibe early. Sure, they're huge blockbuster classics, but maybe today's teens don't know them so well? I don't know.
Old 09-25-07, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Napoleon Dynomite
Old 09-25-07, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I would stay away from Adam Sandler and Will Ferrell movies. Many of the kids will have already seen them, and those that haven't probably don't want to see them.

Some 80's stuff like Weird Science might be good since they may not be familiar with them.
Old 09-25-07, 08:12 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Clifford