Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone buy KINGDOM OF HEAVEN/TROY Director Cut DVDs, but not Extended GLADIATOR dvd?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anyone buy KINGDOM OF HEAVEN/TROY Director Cut DVDs, but not Extended GLADIATOR dvd?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else buy Director Cut DVDs of KINGDOM OF HEAVEN & TROY, but did NOT buy the Extended Version DVD of GLADIATOR?

I'm just curious if some people don't just automatically buy extended/director cuts of historical epics, because I thought that Ridley Scott's Theatrical Version of GLADIATOR was flawless and one of the best epic Hollywood movies in the past 10 years. It's a 3-hour movie that I can watch over and over again. I have no desire to see another version of it.

I did like the Theatrical Version of Troy, and I hope the Director's Cut is better (waiting for it in the mail).

I did not like the Theatrical Version of Kingdom of Heaven, but I loved the Director's Cut.
Old 09-22-07, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i own all three...

i would suggest you get the extended 'Gladiator' as the content adds to the film... i wouldn't say substantially improves the theme or feel of the film... but answers some questions nicely and ties up some loose ends... as well as it's a better release...

i just watched 'Troy - The Director's Cut' last night and i really liked... it is indeed a substantially improved film in many ways...

after seeing Ridley's comments on the theatrical release of 'Kingdom of Heaven' being 'butchered' and his plan to release "his" film in a special DVD release... i avoided ever seeing the theatrical release... i have only seen the 'real' film on the director's cut 4 disc DVD...

Last edited by Dr Mabuse; 09-22-07 at 01:16 PM.
Old 09-22-07, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ordered Troy UE (didn't get it yet) and have the KOH DC, but do not have the extended Gladiator. I guess the reviews I read didn't make it seem like it was worth the upgrade. I suppose if I find it for really cheap I might change my mind.
Old 09-22-07, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I own all three, but so far I've only watched Kindgom of Heaven which was excellent. I wish the Gladiator kept the DTS track from the original release.
Old 09-22-07, 02:00 PM

I have the Gladiator and Troy ones, but not KOH because it sucks (both cuts).
Old 09-22-07, 02:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
all 3, but not because they were all DC's or EE, i just like the movies that much and wanted more of them.
Old 09-22-07, 02:39 PM

I have all three. However, Gladiator might be the easier decision since it includes the theatrical cut in addition to the extended cut.
Old 09-22-07, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts
I don't know if I would want the galdiator EE because doesn't it just incorporate all of the deleted scenes found on the original dvd release.
Old 09-22-07, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by dman988
I have the Gladiator and Troy ones, but not KOH because it sucks (both cuts).
I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought KOH sucked. I own the other 2 as well, but haven't watched Troy yet.
Old 09-22-07, 04:49 PM

I own both troy and kingdom of heaven directors cut. I say that both are better then the theatre version.

I do not have the extended edition of gladiator.. I own the theatre version.

Jacob
Old 09-22-07, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
I own all 3, but I did keep my DTS 2-disc version of Gladiator since it has the old Ridley Scott commentary and those deleted scenes. But I think EE is well worth owning because those features are great (what I've seen so far).
Old 09-22-07, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I have Gladiator (good extended) and Kingdom of Heaven (fabulously extended) and I may pick up Troy.
Old 09-22-07, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All 3 of these movies in the box sets are way to nice! These films got the royal treatment for sure. Especially Troy.
Old 09-22-07, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Whenever my Troy Director's Cut arrives I'll have al three. Gladiator extended is pretty good. The scenes are fairly interesting but ultimately I prefer the original.

You could also mention King Arthur Director's Cut which isn't much better but it at least passes as a fairly acceptable epic.
Old 09-22-07, 07:14 PM

I own those plus Alexander. All do improve upon great films.
Old 09-22-07, 07:26 PM

I bought Troy: Director's Cut on blu ray, liked it better than the original, but really can't see myself watching it again. Just not a lot of replay value for me.
Old 09-22-07, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

What about Alexander? Was that not improved by the DC?

I want to get all three of these but I have yet to pick up any of them.
Old 09-23-07, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't have any of them at the moment, honestly.

I do plan on getting the DC of Kingdom Of Heaven, though.
Old 09-23-07, 02:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by indiansbsa
I bought Troy: Director's Cut on blu ray, liked it better than the original, but really can't see myself watching it again. Just not a lot of replay value for me.
I would tend to agree with you.

Kingdom Of Heaven has a lot of interesting info which I could probably watch over and over.
Old 09-23-07, 09:31 PM

my opinion...
Alexander was bad both ways.
Kingdom Of Heaven movie was OK. the DC made it a total different movie A+.
Gladiator DC have not seen. The few deleted scenes are just added into movie. I will not give up my DTS!!!
Old 09-23-07, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kingdom of Heaven 4 disc DC is much improved version than that of the theatrical. Still waiting for my Troy UC order from amazon.
Old 09-23-07, 11:43 PM

Own all three. Love all three with Kingdom of Heaven The Director's Cut being my favorite.

People shouldn't sleep on the extended cut of Gladiator. I find it more satisfying than the theatrical version (which was still great).
Old 09-24-07, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by prozac80
I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought KOH sucked. I own the other 2 as well, but haven't watched Troy yet.
Thank you!

I am just perplexed by the people who claim the director's cut turns it into an A grade picture (from what was, judging by their other comments, a C picture). I liked the new scenes but the old ones still sucked...so it couldn't have helped that much.
Old 09-24-07, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kingdom DC - Way better than Gladiator, interesting story. Video,audio and extras are also top notch.

Gladiator EE - Liked the theatrical better. It seemed like everything was revolving around Maximus. They made him too important for the movie's own good. I also preferred the DTS version over EE's Dolby track(No DTS).

Troy DC - Haven't seen it yet but everyone is praising it.
Old 09-24-07, 04:47 AM

I own the KoH Director's Cut Set and the Gladiator extended cut set. I will soon own all three when I get the Troy Ultimate set this week.

I loved both versions of Kingdom of Heaven, but find the director's cut a significant improvement. The theatrical cut I think is very good, the director's cut I think is great.

I still haven't watched the Gladiator extended cut. I thought the theatrical cut was good, but not great and highly overrated.

The theatrical cut of Troy I thought was, similar to Gladiator, good but not great, but underrated instead of overrated. I expect the director's cut to be improved, but I didn't feel the seeds of greatness were present.

I wish the Troy and Kingdom of Heaven Director's cut sets had the theatrical cut also like Gladiator.

Last edited by MrDs10e; 09-24-07 at 05:06 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.