Assassin's Creed - Whos getting it?

Old 09-20-07, 08:13 PM
sk8r1189

Assassin's Creed - Whos getting it?

If not THE best game of the year?
Old 09-20-07, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's a bit early to call it the best game of the year, especially with Mass Effect coming out too.

Anyway, ya I'll be picking it up. My gf is really interested in it, as she's a Middle Eastern Studies major and is very interested in the plot.
Old 09-20-07, 08:22 PM
sk8r1189

Well, yeah, point well taken. It is a bit early, though from the gameplay demos at E3 everything looks great, its been months, so I'm dying to see what the gameplay is like now. Also, yeah, the plot is what has me hooked, I don't think anyones ever done a game that takes place inside all of Jerusalem during the Third Crusade.
Old 09-20-07, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I bought a new computer just so I can play this game (well not really), it looks really good.
Old 09-20-07, 08:48 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I'll be picking it (and Mass Effect) up on release day.
Old 09-20-07, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm a huge fan of the Prince of Persia "Sands of Time" trilogy, so I will definitely be picking this up. Looks great!
Old 09-20-07, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I plan on getting it too. EGM said they were worried about it with the recent release that they seen saying the controls were very poor. I hope they are wrong

Release date?
Old 09-20-07, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts
I am interested in this as well. My stepdad has it reserved, but honestly he only really reserves or gets interested in games because they have good graphics.

I'll wait for the reviews. It's due in November, isn't it? The same with Mass Effect I believe.
Old 09-20-07, 10:08 PM
Banned

Assassin's Creed is my most anticipated game for this year. I definitely will get it. The only thing that really has me worried is the sci-fi stuff they keep hinting at. I really hope it doesn't turn into some Matrix-style virtual reality crap, but I have a feeling it will.
Old 09-20-07, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One of my most anticipated games as well.
Old 09-20-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
I'll be there on release day.
Old 09-20-07, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Pre-ordered earlier in the year before the release was bumped. Ordered the Play-asia set with the 12" Assassin figure.
Old 09-20-07, 10:57 PM

After the first 5 minutes, the game turns into Halo 3. Literally.
Old 09-20-07, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I liked the demo footage I saw, but wasn't thrilled with how the combat looked, from what little they showed of it. It seemed right out of an old kung-fu movie: you are surrounded by 7 guys, you beat the crap out of one of them, while his 6 buddies just continue to stand around in a circle, waiting for their turn to get their ass beat. Maybe it will be different in the final release.
Old 09-21-07, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,031 Likes on 4,117 Posts
I'm concerned that the game will be hard to control. I don't like the info I've been getting from previews; the marionette-style control looks unintuitive. It may be a great game, the graphics look amazing. Still I think it would be a mistake to buy this game without first reading some reviews.
Old 09-21-07, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm interested, but I'm thinking this one might not live up to its original hype. Since its original E3 debut, when it was the talk of the show, I haven't heard a lot of glowing previews. I hope it's good, but I'll wait for the reviews.
Old 09-21-07, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm interested, but we'll see how the reviews turn out.
Old 09-21-07, 04:32 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Pre-ordered earlier in the year before the release was bumped. Ordered the Play-asia set with the 12" Assassin figure.
I've got a collector's edition reserved at Gamestop. I wish I could find out if it's the same as that Play Asia one, because if it isn't, I may have to cancel it and order the Play Asia instead.
Old 09-21-07, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Looks like this is the Gamestop LE details:
- Collectible 3" Altair figure
- Penny Arcade comics
- Mini strategy guide
- Bonus "behind-the-scenes" disc including

The LE at play-asia was a very limited deal back in Oct. '06 back when the release date was still March '07 and the deal was dead by early November and removed from the site. Now they are only showing the regular LE on their site.

For $59.60 you got the 12" figure and the game. Here are some pics:
Old 09-21-07, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This game has to come out this year before we call it game of the year. I predict another slip in the release schedule.
Old 09-21-07, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts
I actually wouldn't mind if this one got pushed back to next year if it means a better game. There's already plenty that's coming out in the next few months.
Old 09-21-07, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,031 Likes on 4,117 Posts
Originally Posted by noonan4224
I actually wouldn't mind if this one got pushed back to next year if it means a better game. There's already plenty that's coming out in the next few months.
I had read that retailers are expecting that Assassin's Creed will be the title that benefits the most from GTA IV's delay. It won't be moving unless absolutely necessary.
Old 09-21-07, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i only saw the demo during the xbox presentation (where they showed off some gameplay) and it seemed kind of strange. so, my 2 comments regarding the AI are:

1. you can bump into people... but all the people look alike and they all react the same way when bumped into.
2. the assassin killed a guard as a distraction, but no one looked up to see what/who killed the guard. i mean, if i were one of the distracted guards, i'd look around to see what killed him.

i think given some more time, they could work on fleshing it out a little more to make it more believable.

other than that, it looked like a cross between shenmue and prince of persia (which aren't bad things).
Old 09-21-07, 10:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by young
other than that, it looked like a cross between shenmue and prince of persia (which aren't bad things).
I thought it looked more like Hitman crossed with Prince of Persia. The social stealth looks very reminiscent of the Hitman games.
Old 09-21-07, 02:09 PM
sk8r1189

Gah, I find that a lot of people considered this game to be a lot like Prince of Persia a bit disappointing. While PoP was one of my all time favorite games on any console, this game, I think, doesn't have the same type of feel for it. Sure your in a desert like area as always, but your not swinging around poles and swirling your blades in circles to cut off heads.

I also think the combat system is very unique. It's a defensive play style, in a fight who's going to Prince of Persia it with a run forward and press a bunch of buttons and just attack everything, a-la God of War style. This game has a very nice way of doing things, and if timed right, most of your offensive attacks will be counter-attacks, like it would be in real life. Think more Ninja Gaiden - if you played the whole game with counter-attacks like I did since I beat it on the hardest difficulty setting.

And to whoever said that when the guard fell, the guards didn't look up, you really couldn't tell since he backs off and runs to the side right after he looks down. I know if a person fell off a building I would look at the person first and run over to see if they survived, then look up to see if I could see anything. Which is probably what the guards did. Besides, think about it, this is Jerusalem, the holy city, who would be going around pushing guards off buildings?

The Release date is set right now to November 14th? (citation needed)

-Rob

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.