Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Are the final 3 Pantera albums worth getting?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-07, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When i had the choice one day a few years ago (maybe a year or so after Dimebag Darrell was killed), i contomplated on getting into Pantera, but wasn't sure if i should get the best of CD or buy them individually. I decided on the albums starting with Vulgar Display of Power, since i was familar with "Walk" and "this love". But what got me to buy the album is the song "fucking hostile". It sounded like a kick ass song title, and it wasn't on the best of cd.

Anyways, a couple of days ago i picked up "Cowboys From Hell", and am wondering if the other 3 albums "Far Beyond Driven", "the Great Southern Treadkill" and "Reinventing the Steel". I have heard that the final 2 aren't tht good, mainly because of band tensions and Phil's frequent drug use.
Old 09-20-07, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Reinventing the Steel is pretty darned good.

I don't have the other two, so I couldn't say about those (although I heard Far Beyond Driven when it came out and I hated the production - the kick drums sound like shit - so I just couldn't get into it).
Old 09-20-07, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Far Beyond Driven is worth picking up for "Strength Beyond Strength" alone.
Old 09-20-07, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by jdodd
Far Beyond Driven is worth picking up for "Strength Beyond Strength" alone.
"Shedding Skin" is pretty good too and "I'm Broken" is like "Walk Pt. 2." I have The Great Southern Trendkill and it's alright but I have only heard Reinventing the Steel a couple of times.

What?! No love for Metal Magic, Projects in the Jungle, I Am the Night, or Power Metal?
Old 09-20-07, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Far Beyond Driven is fricking awesome. I'd consider it a must buy
Great Southern Trendkill, I'd put as the weakest of the "first" four, but still excellent. Suicide Note, and Thirteen Steps are worth the price of admission alone.

Reinventing the Steel never grew on me. It just sounded like they were going in different directions already. IMO, it's skippable.

Personally, I've never seen copies of their actual first albums (back when they were glam-metal wannabes....and I'm going to keep it that way)
Old 09-20-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All of Pantera's albums are unique and amazing in their own ways. Don't listen to one album expecting the same thing after another. In my opinion Pantera is metal, and has some of the most memorable songs and riffs in metal history. No matter what album you ask about, they're all still more memorable than a good percentage of what gets put out today.
Old 09-20-07, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Great Southern Trendkill is my favorite Pantera Album.
Old 09-20-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For some real fun, why don't you try getting their first 3 albums! They were like a Van Halen party band!
Old 09-20-07, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wishbon3
"Shedding Skin" is pretty good too and "I'm Broken" is like "Walk Pt. 2." I have The Great Southern Trendkill and it's alright but I have only heard Reinventing the Steel a couple of times.

What?! No love for Metal Magic, Projects in the Jungle, I Am the Night, or Power Metal?

I asked Vinnie about a possible rerelease of these at the Family Values tour and he said that they make great collectors items and thats about it.
Old 09-20-07, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

their live album is pretty good too
Old 09-21-07, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Found this on youtube and found it somewhat amusing
Pantera "Power Metal" in full on glam mode NSFW
<embed width="425" height="350"src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RxwRq8AchlY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" </embed>
Old 09-21-07, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Far Beyond Driven" IMO is there best work by far, it's the only cd of Pantera i own don't really care for the rest of there stuff, (although there early 80's glam stuff intrigues me, will have to give a listen) also from the "Detroit Rock City" soundtrack they did a really great job covering Ted Nugent's "Cat Scratch Fever".
Old 09-21-07, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Short answer: EVERY fucking Pantera album is worth owning. Actually, they OWN you.
Old 09-22-07, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
The first three Pantera albums (CFH, VDP, and FBD) are essential.

The others aren't as good as the first three but they're still strong entries. Pantera never put out a St. Anger.
Old 09-22-07, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The first three Pantera albums (CFH, VDP, and FBD) are essential.
Those aren't the first three Pantera albums.

The first three Pantera albums are:

Metal Magic (featuring the classics "Ride My Rocket", "Sad Lover", and "Rock Out")
Projects In The Jungle (featuring "Heavy Metal Rules" and "Only A Heartbeat Away")
I Am The Night ("Hot And Heavy", "Onward We Rock", and "Come-On Eyes")

I believe "Power Metal" is also from their party metal period.

Last edited by nodeerforamonth; 09-22-07 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-22-07, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
I believe "Power Metal" is also from their party metal period.
It is, but at least Phil's on that one.
Old 09-22-07, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The first 4 Pantera albums

http://www.heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bi...i?BandNum=1643

Last edited by Snowmaker; 09-22-07 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-22-07, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah. Like I said, there's some good stuff on there. Very different from when they changed and became famous (some people would say "sold out"... they certainly made more money being a heavy, intense band than being a party band).
Old 09-24-07, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
I like Reinventing the Steel, Far Beyond Driven kicks ass, and I haven't really listened to the other one.
Old 09-24-07, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 09-25-07, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Power Metal was hardly a "glam" album. It's pretty darned heavy in a Judas Priest Painkiller kind of way.

The first three albums have SOME songs that lean in a glam direction, but also have a lot of great straightforward 80's metal on them.

They may have LOOKED a bit like a glam band, but they didn't SOUND like one. It's a common misconception about that period for Pantera. Hell, I'd go so far as to say that the song, "Projects in the Jungle" is as good as anything they've ever done!
Old 09-25-07, 10:32 AM

I understand completely though, why it is they decided not to recognize the first 4 albums. MAYBE power metal is the exception, but the first three are nothing like Cowboys and beyond and if you listen to Power Metal and CFH back to back they sound vaguely alike(extremely vaguely). When they got signed to a "major" label they took a completely different direction musically. They should have probably changed thier name.
Old 09-27-07, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by Vandelay_Inds
Some of it is very good... but it is my impression they were so concerned with sounding as heavy as they could, that musicality was frequently and painfully neglected, particularly on the last two albums.
thats why i could never get into the last two cds.
Old 09-28-07, 03:40 PM

love em all except for Reinventing the Steel. It seemed a little recycled and forced to me. I love Trendkill. My favorite pick. It is anger! Yet it can still bring it down a notch on tracks like Suicide Note part one. But I will say that disc isn't for everyone. Another option is to check out the live album 101 Proof. It has a good overview of tracks and is more accurate representation to me than the Best of disc.
Old 09-28-07, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only two Pantera albums I really like are CfH and VDoP (although Power Metal isn't all that bad). For some reason I just never got into Far Beyond Driven. Like every metal head in Dallas at the time, I bought it the day it came out, but I sold it a month or two later. There's something about that album and everything that came after that just really turned me off to the band. Not sure why.