DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Ride the S.L.U.T.

orderandlaw
09-19-07, 02:17 PM
Seattle-ites might have heard about this, but I just found it too amusing not to share.

SEATTLE, Washington (AP) -- -- Officially, it's the South Lake Union Streetcar. But in the neighborhood where the new line runs, it's called the South Lake Union Trolley -- or, the SLUT.

At Kapow! Coffee, a shop in the old Cascade neighborhood, 100 T-shirts bearing the words "Ride the SLUT" sold out in days, and another 100 are on order.

"We're welcoming the SLUT into the neighborhood," said Jerry Johnson, 29, a part-time barista.

Some claim -- incorrectly, according to representatives of Vulcan Inc., the company that is developing the area -- that South Lake Union Trolley was the original name and that it was changed when officials belatedly realized the acronym.
The $50.5 million project should be completed with streetcars running in December. Underlying the lighthearted opposition, however, is resentment over changes in the old working-class neighborhood.

"There was a meeting with representatives from the city several years ago," Johnson recalled.

"They asked us, 'What we could do for you?' Most people raised their hands and said, 'Affordable housing,"' he said. "Then the people from the city huddled together -- 'whisper, whisper, whisper,' -- and they said, 'How about a trolley?"'

Since then, Cascade has been ignored in Vulcan brochures that lump the neighborhood together with Denny Park and Denny Triangle under the term South Lake Union. With the streetcar, said Don Clifton, a Cascade resident, "We learned how fun it is to change the name of things.

Source (http://www.cnn.com/2007/TRAVEL/09/19/seattle.train.ap/index.html)

Grabbed it from CNN instead of the local stations because the CNN version was a bit more brief.

Obey The D
09-19-07, 02:20 PM
This is no laughing matter. To make things even worst, the SLUT line ends at the Railway Avenue Path Entrance.

Groucho
09-19-07, 02:23 PM
Very weird story. A few years ago, when Salt Lake City was designing and building its light rail system they had a contest where anybody could suggest a name. A buddy of mine suggested Salt Lake Urban Transit. I haven't seen him for a while -- maybe he relocated to Seattle?

Kittydreamer
09-19-07, 02:25 PM
We used to have "Wart", Willsonville Area Rapid Transit and then they changed it to "Smart", South Metro Area Rapid Transit". :lol:

Numanoid
09-19-07, 02:34 PM
They also have a monorail, but it only goes through the bad part of town.

shoppingbear
09-19-07, 02:36 PM
I still keep up with Seattle news media, since I have family and friends who work for the media there, and I was GOING to post this story, but I asked around and it turns out this part:
Some claim-- incorrectly, according to representatives of Vulcan Inc., the company that is developing the area -- that South Lake Union Trolley was the original name and that it was changed when officials belatedly realized the acronym.... is complete bullshit. :lol: The whole thing is just a protest by some neighborhood group (the "some" who "claim") that's unhappy the streetcar is being built, so they made the S.L.U.T. name up. Even the story says that it's not the real name. :lol:

j123vt_99
09-19-07, 04:27 PM
This is no laughing matter. To make things even worst, the SLUT line ends at the Railway Avenue Path Entrance.

No one commented on this? I enjoyed it

Jason
09-19-07, 04:37 PM

I don't know, North Haverbrook isn't that bad...

Blotto
09-19-07, 04:39 PM
Yeah, but Ogdenville is ghetto.

Groucho
09-19-07, 04:43 PM
I've heard those things are awfully loud.

dork
09-19-07, 04:54 PM
No one commented on this? I enjoyed it
Who cares where the line ends? I'm hundreds of miles away, it's not like I'm going to be able to make use of this information. :shrug:

Icculus
09-19-07, 05:16 PM
I've heard those things are awfully loud.

Really? I've heard they glide as softly as a cloud.

Anubis2005X
09-19-07, 06:09 PM
Really? I've heard they glide as softly as a cloud.

Is there a chance the track could bend?

El Scorcho
09-19-07, 06:14 PM
http://www.ktvb.com/news/regional/stories/M_IMAGE.11432118fbd.93.88.fa.d0.e7e126bd.jpg

j123vt_99
09-19-07, 06:48 PM
Who cares where the line ends? I'm hundreds of miles away, it's not like I'm going to be able to make use of this information. :shrug:

Really? Got to give Obey the D more credit than that

emanon
09-19-07, 06:50 PM
Is there a chance the track could bend?

Not on your life, my Hindu friend.

dork
09-19-07, 06:54 PM
Not on your life, my Hindu friend.
I believe he's actually Egyptian.

yecul
09-19-07, 07:12 PM
Where do they sell those shirts?

bikerfool
09-19-07, 07:42 PM
I want a shirt so bad. im in phoenix and I red that Kapow Coffee sells them but they have no website so Im trying to search the net for places

emanon
09-19-07, 08:22 PM

http://david.huplus.com/images/simpsons-doh-postcard.jpg

dan30oly
09-19-07, 09:37 PM
Where do they sell those shirts?
I heard on the local news this evening that there's a coffee shop next to the line up there that sold out 100 shirts withen hours, and they have another 100 on order.

superdeluxe
09-19-07, 09:39 PM
Seattle-ites might have heard about this, but I just found it too amusing not to share.

Source (http://www.cnn.com/2007/TRAVEL/09/19/seattle.train.ap/index.html)

Grabbed it from CNN instead of the local stations because the CNN version was a bit more brief.

I'm going to ride the slut every single day!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/yearsago/idhitit.gif

superdeluxe
09-19-07, 09:41 PM

Yeah but you dont have to interact with the common folk, because you are high above everyone :)

Kittydreamer
09-19-07, 09:54 PM
What's the difference?

*runs out of thread*

Bill Geiger
09-20-07, 01:43 PM
Not another kittydreamer topic based thread again! Sheesh! :)

Sorry kitty, you were the only female in this thread to pick on.