Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Deliverance' (Blu-ray)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-19-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I read John Sinnott's DVD review of Deliverance at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=30329 and...

Great review, but you give away ALOT of spoilers, way too much for a review. I know that many people have seen this movie, but many probably haven't, and some of those plot reveals are shocking moments that shouldn't be spoiled for the sake of the film. You should consider editing your review for the sake of those who haven't seen the movie.
Old 09-19-07, 12:57 PM
Defunct Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad you (mostly) enjoyed the review Josh. I struggled with how much to reveal in this review, and I can definitely appreciate your opinion. There were reasons that I revealed as much as I did. Basically without the attack and the events surrounding Drew, there isn't a movie. Those were the defining moments, that's what gives the movie it's punch. The reason that I love the film is because of the paranoia and the way its easy to relate to the rafters after the accident. Up until that point it's a trip down a river, mildly interesting but not earthshattering. To explain why the movie is worth purchasing I really feel that I had to relate what a hopless and scary situation the members of the party were in.
Old 09-19-07, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
No, I enjoyed the review, that was simply constructive criticism

I understand and agree with your point to a certain degree. You could also say "attacked in the woods" or even "gruesomely attacked in the woods", for example.

I also think that first part is necessary tension building rather than "a trip down the river". Nothing seems right about the whole situation, and Lewis is a total psycho. You feel the claustrophobia of the Jon Voight character in that situation.

I appreciate your response.
Old 09-19-07, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's always a tough row to hoe when you're reviewing a good movie: how do you make important points about the film, discussing what makes it good, and not give away critical plot points? I still have to juggle when I get a good one to discuss; I guess putting up a big warning, SPOILERS, is the closest I've come to figuring how to balance the two. It's awkward, but it seems to work. And Deliverance is a particularly hard one to wrangle if you choose to leave out what happens to Bobby.

And I didn't take Lewis for a total psycho, Josh, but just as one fragment of the male identity that Boorman was exploring -- and fracturing -- during the trip. I remember seeing the film for the first time, and fully anticipating big hero Burt Reynolds to take charge of the second half of the film...only to be bitterly disappointed that Boorman (and of course, Dickey), made him totally impotent and ineffectual. And of course, that was the brilliance of the audience set-up and manipulation: Boorman wasn't going to give me an "easy out."