Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Another pointless, not needed Hollywood remake...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-07, 11:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As reported By Mania.Com

It seems that Platinum Dunes has another horror remake ready to begin in the very near future, this one being a revision of the 1987 cult classic vampire tale NEAR DARK. Dunes' Brad Fuller and Andrew Form have chosen director Samuel Bayer to lead the project, says Bloody Disgusting. The original was directed by Kathryn Bigelow, written by Eric Red & starred Adrian Pasdar, Lance Henriksen, Bill Paxton, Jenny Wright & Jenette Goldstein. Filming will begin shortly on the project as it's being fast tracked by Rogue Pictures.

Plot Concept: The story follows Caleb Colton falling for Mae, a vampire drifter, only to find himself turned into a creature of the night. He joins the ragtag of drifters featuring leader Jesse Hooker, fellow members Diamondback & Severen. Chaos ensues when Caleb's family enter the fold.

I mean really. has Hollywood totally gone bankrupt in the originality department where all they can come up with is remakes of past movies? Geez.
Old 09-18-07, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
TERRIBLE idea. Near Dark is one of the best vampire movies out there. I guarantee they're going to lose anything that made the original so captivating, let alone the loss of the amazing performances from Paxton and Henriksen. I'd say hopefully we at least get a new SE of the original, but the OOP AB 2-disc set was a phenomenal DVD to begin with. Boo.
Old 09-18-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
I agree. Totally not necessary. The original had the distinction of intentionally avoiding using things found in regular vampire movies, including the exclusion of the word "vampire" throughout the entire movie, and I'm sure a remake will completely ruin that by throwing everything they possibly can into the movie to make sure today's clueless masses will make no mistake in what the movie is about.
Old 09-19-07, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't think of this movie without remembering the story Bill Paxton told about freaking out the train conductor with him in all his makeup.
Old 09-19-07, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does Hollywood have a grudge against Eric Red? Second movie he wrote to get the shit-ass remake treatment!

First The Hitcher got sent to hell and disfigured to oblivion. For one, what I heard about how they changed the heroes from having the girl as the main persona and the guy as the supporting character pissed me off, let alone them being a couple. Also, Sean Bean is eternally Alec Trevelyan, and Rutger Hauer owned all sorts of ass as Ryder. Plus, he was Rutger f'n Hauer. Was Clive Owen not available?

But to hell with that, about this Near Dark remake:

I love Near Dark. Love, love, love, love it. I blind bought it when the 2-disc SE was $5 on DD based on Kathryn Bigelow's other work (namely Point Break and Strange Days) and the fact that it was a mini-Aliens reunion. That movie is intense as all hell, and yes, the revisionist take on vampires is going to be gutted here. I'm sure some unknown pretty boy is going to play the guy from Heroes' role in this, and someone on the Maxim Hot 100 list gets the Mae role. But there's no way in the hell compiled of James Cameron collaborators, NO FUCKING WAY that they'll be able to match the creepiness Lance Henriksen had or the overzealous sadism Bill Paxton has. I can't even think of someone who could carry off the intensity Paxton has in the bar massacre scene, and of course they're going to make that scene look straight from the TCM remakes and drop the dark humor he had. And I wouldn't be surprised if
Spoiler:
The kid vampire lives and gets the Lost Boys treatment and loses the vampire thing
, which would suck even more.

Somebody should call Bill Paxton to get his Wayfarers, leather jacket, and razor-heeled boots to storm one of the Bay's meetings.
Old 09-19-07, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would your average person even know that this was a remake? It's not like Halloween where everone has heard of it.
Old 09-19-07, 11:51 AM

I've never heard of it, and I would consider myself someone who watches a few more movies than the average person.

Personally, I don't see why so many people have a problem with remakes. There is so much hostility when people talk about remakes. I don't think I've heard more hostility even when people are talking about their ex-wives. I usually enjoy remakes, especially if the original was an excellent movie. It allows you to see a different director's take on the same story. If the director changes some details on the story, so what. It's not like the director forces you to see the remake. If you don't like remakes, don't buy a movie ticket for a remake.
Old 09-19-07, 12:31 PM

Sorry, but I found the original Near Dark average to say the least.
Old 09-19-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Cube
I've never heard of it, and I would consider myself someone who watches a few more movies than the average person.

Personally, I don't see why so many people have a problem with remakes. There is so much hostility when people talk about remakes. I don't think I've heard more hostility even when people are talking about their ex-wives. I usually enjoy remakes, especially if the original was an excellent movie. It allows you to see a different director's take on the same story. If the director changes some details on the story, so what. It's not like the director forces you to see the remake. If you don't like remakes, don't buy a movie ticket for a remake.
Wow. Your response should be a drinking game. Every time you say the "R" word, we all have to take a drink
Old 09-19-07, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Another vague, not needed thread title...

Old 09-19-07, 07:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I loved the original up until the
Spoiler:
blood transfusion ending. It begs the question -Why didn't they keep leaving one of them human as a guard and trade shifts as a human? With a big enough group that will leave you more immortal than you're ever going to get without a human agent. Not to mention the "Oh noes! I've sacrificed my humanity for immortality!" kinda goes out the window when you can change your mind and still have lived all that immortal life free and clear.

The movie fell apart for me right there and everything that came before it was pretty much invalidated. The re-make will suck too.
Old 09-19-07, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
I don't know, I saw Near Dark and I could barely get through it. To me it wasn't nearly as great as many make it out to be so a remake couldn't hurt in my opinion.
Old 09-19-07, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess a remake of Scream must be in the works.

I don't get it at all. It's not a popular enough movie to have big name recognition. It's not a film that could gain anything from more modern day FX, So what is the logic? While I might grunt at how Hollywood would screw it up, I can at least understand if they decided to do a remake of something like THEM or even another remake of The Blob.
Old 09-19-07, 10:23 PM

lol, waaaaay un-nessasary.

fuck hollywood cant you use your heads to make somethin remotely new..
Old 09-20-07, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by uncle-frank

fuck hollywood cant you use your heads to make somethin remotely new..
I see your point. But you know, every year a few remakes or movies inspired by old films show up and most of the public doesn't even realize it unless the films are specifically marketed as remakes or reinventions like Zombie's Halloween. Here on dvdtalk people take film "seriously" so remakes seem like a bad thing, but to Hollywood it's another chance to make $$$$ from a new crowd.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-20-07 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-20-07, 02:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
Also, Sean Bean is eternally Alec Trevelyan,
So your own typecasting of Sean Bean is why you're pissed off he was cast in The Hitcher remake?
Old 09-20-07, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I don't know, I saw Near Dark and I could barely get through it. To me it wasn't nearly as great as many make it out to be so a remake couldn't hurt in my opinion.
Same here, I didn't really care for it as a whole, although the bar scene was nicely done.
Old 09-20-07, 03:17 PM
sk8r1189

Well, I haven't seen Near Dark yet, one of those few movies I've yet to get a chance to rent. But from what I have read, it would be a total downer if it was remade. I mean, look at the Halloween remake, they explained why Micheal Myers kills and there went the whole "Boogieman" theory - ruined the movie.
Old 09-20-07, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Count me in on the group who didn't care much for the movie.

I pretty much got it based on the mini "Aliens" reunion in the movie but after seeing it I can say it didn't make me wanna see it again or seek out more "vampire" movies.

I actually found the behind the scenes stuff (like the Bill Paxton story and Lance Hendrickson freaking a cop out) far more interesting than the actual movie.
Old 09-22-07, 07:40 PM

The_Cube: When they remake a movie you liked and the remake sucks...(cough)Halloween(cough) do you still not care?

And the folks who "didn't care" for the original...why are you posting in this thread again? Find a post that interests you or is about something you did like and post there. While I have an opinion, I don't find it necessary to share it all the time with others especially regarding things I "didn't care" for in the first place.
Old 09-22-07, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by drcos
While I have an opinion, I don't find it necessary to share it all the time with others especially regarding things I "didn't care" for in the first place.
Talk about an excellent time to take your own advice!
Old 09-23-07, 01:04 AM

And the folks who "didn't care" for the original...why are you posting in this thread again?
Because maybe they think the remake would be something that interests them, or because they're offering an alternative viewpoint on the subject? You can't expect a thread to just be an echo chamber.

That said, I have nothing against remakes. Film history is filled with them, many of which are classics. There are also plenty of shameless money grabs, true, but this applies pretty much everywhere in the industry and is hardly confined to remakes.
Old 09-23-07, 08:43 AM

But the posts are not "I didn't care for the original, maybe the remake will be better." That would be a little different, wouldn't it?

And I looked at the thread once I found out what it was about, and was going to post my disfavor with a remake of a movie I thought was fine in the first place, but was displeased with these pointless posts (much like this one has turned into).

So let me re-iterate, the original was pretty good in my opinion and a (obviously shitty) remake would sully the vision fans such as myself have. But I'll go back to my hole now so that the self-important can elucidate their opinions to illuminate the dismal lives of the rest of us.
Old 09-23-07, 01:03 PM

Right...

Originally Posted by sethsez
Film history is filled with them, many of which are classics.
while most of them are complete crap. It doesn't help that they're now damn near their own genre in todays hollywood.
Old 09-23-07, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

But the posts are not "I didn't care for the original, maybe the remake will be better." That would be a little different, wouldn't it?

And I looked at the thread once I found out what it was about, and was going to post my disfavor with a remake of a movie I thought was fine in the first place, but was displeased with these pointless posts (much like this one has turned into).

So let me re-iterate, the original was pretty good in my opinion and a (obviously shitty) remake would sully the vision fans such as myself have. But I'll go back to my hole now so that the self-important can elucidate their opinions to illuminate the dismal lives of the rest of us.

Dude, get over yourself.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.