Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Boss of It All'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-18-07, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 644 Likes on 444 Posts

I read Svet Atanasov's DVD review of The Boss of It All at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=30521 and regarding this part of the review:
On the technical side of things The Boss of it All is just as wild. The camera is mostly static with the actual framing of the film likely to produce plenty of head-scratching. Why? Because on a number of occasions Von Trier cuts off or simply drops some of the main protagonists as they speak, move, or gesture. The effect is unusual to say the least given how the story generally lacks fluidity.
The reason behind the bizarre framing is because nobody actually shot the movie, the cinematography was handled by a computer.

http://www.filmdailies.com/archives/...oss-of-it-all/
In fact, this movie “patented” a new mathematical formula and a process he called Automavision. Here’s what he means by that:

This entails choosing the best possible fixed camera position and then allowing a computer to choose when to tilt, pan or zoom. “For a long time, my films have been handheld,” he explains. “That has to do with the fact that I am a control freak. With Automavision, the technique was that I would frame the picture first and then push a button on the computer. I was not in control - the computer was in control.”
http://www.villagevoice.com/film/072...,76715,20.html
Called Automavision and described in the press notes as "a principle for shooting film developed with the intention of limiting human influence by inviting chance in from the cold," the process hands over control of a film's images and sound mixing from trained technicians to a computer program designed to randomly change settings at the touch of a button. (To wit, Automavision is credited as the film's cinematographer.)
Thus the title of the film can also be read as a reference to the computer that was "the boss of it all" in terms of what the shots they got ultimately looked like.
Old 09-18-07, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Jay,

Spoiler:
Perfectly familiar with the fact that a computer did the framing yet I chose to hide it and only mention it in the extras section where Trier talks about it during the interview, the manner in which all was put together (Automavision has to do with the cinematography and the sequencing of the shots, aside from that Von Trier was still the director). I thought that not knowing beforehand what took place would certainly have quite an effect on the unsuspecting viewer and force him/her to listen to Von Trier's explanation...hence my wild comment.

Pro-B

ps, Got it.

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 09-18-07 at 01:08 PM.