Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about upcoming universal horror collection...

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-07, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I am up on the titles that were in both volumes of the classic sci-fi ultimate collection - have watched them on TV for years, so I knew what I was getting when I got those sets because I like that old B-movie sci-fi stuff.

The titles in the universal horror classic movie archive I have never seen, or even heard of: The Black Cat, Man Made Monster, Horror Island, Night monster and Captive Wild Woman.

I looked these up on IMDB but apart from slim plot lines, it was not much help. Has anyone seen any of these? Does this look like a worthy set to pick up on Oct 2nd?
Old 09-17-07, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
Seen them all
THE BLACK CAT-semi comedy about relatives gathered in big spooky house with secret passage ways, etc. Lugosi plays the butler.

MAN MADE MONSTER-Lon Chaney takes job with pair of scientists(one good/one bad) to help with electrical experiments. Chaney builds up resistence to electricity and becomes walking dynamo.

NIGHT MONSTER-someone is killing people at big old spooky mansion. cops are investigating. can't figure it out because prime suspect is confined to wheelchair. Lugosi is the butler again.

CAPTIVE WILD WOMAN-first of the "gorilla woman" trilogy. Similar to "Cat People" only gorilla instead of cat.

HORROR ISLAND- first time on any video. Whatsisface(hero of Mumy's Hand) owns a small charter boat. Has lots of creditors on his back. Agrees to take a charter taking some people out to a spooky island with a big spooky house on it for the money and make a quick getaway from some bill collectors after his boat.

If you like 40s horror movies you'll like it. I'm a big fan of 30s-50s Universal and collect them. I've tried not to spoil anything.

Correction: Lugosi is the groundskeeper/handyman in THE BLACK CAT.

Last edited by rw2516; 09-17-07 at 08:22 PM.
Old 09-17-07, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw The Black Cat and liked it, though there seem to be entire scenes missing, rendering the plot almost incomprehensible at times. Certainly worth a rental, perhaps a purchase if you enjoy atmospheric horror films from that period. Edgar Ulmer was one of a kind.
Old 09-17-07, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The only one I've seen (the one I'm buying the set for) is Man Made Monster. The description posted above is dead-on.
Old 09-17-07, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts
A side note for those interested in lesser known Universal Horror of the 1940s. At the time a guy named Rondo Hatton was under contract and appeared in several films as a heavy. Hatton had some kind of disease that deformed his facial features. Can't remember the disease name but it's the same one that Leo G. Carroll and his lab assistant come down with in the movie Tarantula. Anyway, 1n 1946 Universal put out a horror movie called HOUSE OF HORRORS. In it Hatton goes around killing people at the behest of an artist/sculptor. Universal then filmed a sequel with Hatton's character called THE BRUTE MAN. In a rare case of 1940s political correctness, Universal decided that releasing a movie with a main character who kills people and is called THE BRUTE MAN was an explotation of Hatton and others with his illness and decided not to release it. They sold it to PRC who did release it. On the posters and lobby cards you can tell where the Universal globe logo has been covered with a PRC logo. It's technically an official Universal Horror and available on DVD from Image.
Old 09-17-07, 11:06 PM

The set is a BARGAIN...most afficianados of classic Universal Horror are chomping at the bit to finally get these on DVD. Universal has done a wonderful job on the transfers for the other horror franchise sets and the less known features tend to look the most pristine I've noticed. Guess the original negatives must not have gotten the same workout as Frankenstein and Dracula....
Old 09-18-07, 06:50 AM

THE BLACK CAT is the best in the set, IMHO. Karloff + Lugosi together!

Surprised you don't know of MAN MADE MONSTER... seems like that was on almost every weekend when I was growing up in the 70s : )
Old 09-18-07, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts
gorgo99 - you have the wrong The Black Cat. The one you are thinking of is already out in the Universal Lugosi Set, this one is from 1941.
Old 09-18-07, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts
Night Monster is the best of the lot but these films are all programmers that were meant to fill out the marquee behind the main attraction. They are all definitely enjoyable for what they are, as long as you lower your expectations.
Old 09-18-07, 08:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rw2516
A side note for those interested in lesser known Universal Horror of the 1940s. At the time a guy named Rondo Hatton was under contract and appeared in several films as a heavy. Hatton had some kind of disease that deformed his facial features. Can't remember the disease name but it's the same one that Leo G. Carroll and his lab assistant come down with in the movie Tarantula. Anyway, 1n 1946 Universal put out a horror movie called HOUSE OF HORRORS. In it Hatton goes around killing people at the behest of an artist/sculptor. Universal then filmed a sequel with Hatton's character called THE BRUTE MAN. In a rare case of 1940s political correctness, Universal decided that releasing a movie with a main character who kills people and is called THE BRUTE MAN was an explotation of Hatton and others with his illness and decided not to release it. They sold it to PRC who did release it. On the posters and lobby cards you can tell where the Universal globe logo has been covered with a PRC logo. It's technically an official Universal Horror and available on DVD from Image.
And one of the hit men in "The Rocketeer!!!" You have to be a 40's movie afficionado to appreciate it.
Old 09-18-07, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The line up could have been better. I'd have put THE MAD GHOUL, HOUSE OF HORRORS or ISLAND OF LOST SOULS in the Horror set before the mystery films, and CAPTIVE WILD WOMAN should have been held out and packaged with the two sequels.

In other words, Universal could have a had a better "Horror" set, a "Wild Woman" set, AND a "Mystery" set to sell instead of this strange mix which will probably disappoint people expecting horror films.
Old 09-18-07, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Steve Phillips
The line up could have been better. I'd have put THE MAD GHOUL, HOUSE OF HORRORS or ISLAND OF LOST SOULS in the Horror set before the mystery films, and CAPTIVE WILD WOMAN should have been held out and packaged with the two sequels.

In other words, Universal could have a had a better "Horror" set, a "Wild Woman" set, AND a "Mystery" set to sell instead of this strange mix which will probably disappoint people expecting horror films.

that lineup...WOW ! We can always hope for next year's release.
Old 09-18-07, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by buckee1
that lineup...WOW ! We can always hope for next year's release.

I agree! I'm thrilled with the upcoming set and look forward to the eventual release of those others listed. Universal has been MUCH derided on all these forums but they are really stepping up to the plate and giving these lesser known but HIGHLY desired films really great treatment image wise....and no more flippers to boot.

BIG thumbs up here!