Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'The Graduate: 40th Anniversary Edition'

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-15-07, 04:09 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts

I read Jamie S. Rich's DVD review of The Graduate: 40th Anniversary Edition at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=30462 and...this is what confuses me about the DVD Talk rating, i know another reviewer did the previous version, but if that recieved the "Collector's Series" and this new version improves in every department, why only a HR? just curious...
Old 09-15-07, 04:15 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey there.

I debated a lot whether to push this edition up to the Collector Series to keep the movie in that category, but ultimately decided against it because, had the previous edition not been rated as such, I probably wouldn't have considered it at all. While the old Graduate might have been considered the best of the best seven years ago, a lot has been done with the DVD format since then. While the 40th edition package is truly excellent, it's not over the top as far as innovation or anything.

I don't know. It's one of those very tough calls, but usually if I give a Collector Series rating, it's not something I have to debate. I just know. Such is the problem sometimes with this kind of rating system. It's all subjective.
Old 09-17-07, 03:00 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm also confused. What, exactly, could they have done better to earn the highest rating? After reading your review a couple of times for signs of hesitancy, they certainly seem to have done so.
Old 09-18-07, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MrE
I'm also confused. What, exactly, could they have done better to earn the highest rating? After reading your review a couple of times for signs of hesitancy, they certainly seem to have done so.
I can't speak directly for Jamie, but it's incredibly tough to give most double-dips a "Collector Series" rating. Although I probably wouldn't have rated the original release so highly, the 40th Anniversary release is certainly a better buy. The technical presentation is great and the extras are decent, but it really doesn't go above and beyond what most fans were undoubtedly expecting.

Last edited by Randy Miller III; 09-18-07 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-18-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's a real good release, that's for sure! I mean, no one should forego a purchase simply because it didn't quite achieve "collector series" status.