Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else get a card from DirecTV touting new TIVO Features?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-07, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

I got a postcard from DirecTV stating that they are continuing to work with Tivo to bring new features. New features that will automatically upload to my Tivo are:

Remote Booking from the DirecTV site
Recently deleted folder
Overlap protection

I was surprised to even see the Tivo logo on the same ad as Directv. I am assuming this will not update my Directv DVR with these features.
Old 09-15-07, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
No. Those are for the Tivo branded machines, both SD and HD. It is the thought that this might be the precursor to getting Tivo back with DirecTV.
Old 09-15-07, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I was surprised to see Directv advertise anything to do with Tivo. Their website doesn't even have the Tivo logo anywhere.

Damn shame though as the new features seem pretty cool, though I would never use the remote scheduling feature.
Old 09-15-07, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sherm42
Damn shame though as the new features seem pretty cool, though I would never use the remote scheduling feature.
You just think you wouldn't. I thought that, and I use it at least once a month.
Old 09-15-07, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't get a postcard, but I read it in that 'message' section...the one that changes every time you click on to that page; Under Playing list, Programs to record.... I thought it said that is was only good for certain models. I don't remember exactly which one, but I do remember I didn't have that model.
Old 09-15-07, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got a postcard and a few weeks ago they called and left a message on my phone.

I sure hope they work out a deal with Tivo. The new HD DVR sucks and you can't even use a Series 3 Tivo with DirecTV.

I am seriously considering dumping DirecTV and going back to Comcast once their Tivo branded DVRs come out, or just get a Series 3 Tivo with a cable card.
Old 09-16-07, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadzia
or just get a Series 3 Tivo with a cable card.
Just know TiVo (or rather, first-generation cableCARD) is not compatible with SDV. If your cable provider starts using it, you won't be able to record any of those channels.
Old 09-17-07, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just got a postcard and a few weeks ago they called and left a message on my phone.
I've gotten two postcards and a phone message.

I sure hope they work out a deal with Tivo. The new HD DVR sucks and you can't even use a Series 3 Tivo with DirecTV.
Agree 100%

I am seriously considering dumping DirecTV and going back to Comcast once their Tivo branded DVRs come out, or just get a Series 3 Tivo with a cable card.
If they "out mode" the DirecTiVo through "upgrades", I will seriously consider the same thing. I just bought a TiVo HD for over the air because I'm unwilling to deal with upgrading my DirecTV to HD nor give up my DirecTiVo.

So I've been thrice notified of these upgrades (all three times I chortled to myself since I KNOW DirecTV had nothing to do with these "enhancements" - probably something TiVo is doing anywat). When are they happening? The new TV seasons start starting tonight (FOX)... they should be kicking in ASAP!

BTW how are you going to do remote scheduling when no DirecTiVo is internet capable?