Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Death Proof Extended DVD Review (with screengrabs)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-15-07, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's possibly the first Death Proof Extended DVD Review out there?:

http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com/...d-unrated.html

The DVD doesn't have the greatest extras ever, but it Death Proof Extended still looks good. There's some screenshots of the new scenes (including the "missing reel"), too.
Old 09-15-07, 08:22 AM
Suspended

Dvdtalk has already reviewed it.
Old 09-15-07, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So, does this mean there won't be a complete Grindhouse DVD release?
Old 09-15-07, 09:31 AM

That's not a bad review at all (I just read it)! Summed up some things nicely, but was far too generous in reviewing the extras! Plus it got a few things wrong (the extended versions were always the ones that were coming out on DVD, just as they were the editions that were always going to be released to the cinema in the vast majority of the world) and it casually spoils the ENTIRE story (what little there is), except for one moment at the end... What's the point in that, exactly?
Old 09-15-07, 09:34 AM

JoeFrog: I've heard rumours of a Grindhouse release, but nothing Tarantino said when I saw him indicated that it was coming. I'm guessing they're trying to make a big deal of the individual films and then Grindhouse will probably make an appearance. Whether it'll be on DVD or not, I don't know.
Old 09-15-07, 09:51 AM

I've added the first part of my article on the Q&A session with Tarantino, too.

http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com/...-q-part-1.html
Old 09-15-07, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 203 Posts
When's Part II coming? >_>
Old 09-15-07, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
can we carry this conversation over to the appropriate thread: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=505418
Old 09-15-07, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Until a complete Grindhouse DVD comes out, no sale.
Old 09-15-07, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Until a complete Grindhouse DVD comes out, no sale.
Grindhouse is a completely separate entity. This is Tarantino's film, not Grindhouse (that's how he sees it anyway).
Old 09-15-07, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast
When's Part II coming? >_>
I only wrote part one today...! Soon (maybe tomorrow or the day after). Glad you're interested!
Old 09-15-07, 11:56 PM

The only version worth seeing www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=30441
Old 09-16-07, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by John CW
Grindhouse is a completely separate entity. This is Tarantino's film, not Grindhouse (that's how he sees it anyway).
Besides, Grindhouse was a cinemahouse experience that can never be recreated at home. It was one of the best nights out at the movies as a movie experience, for me, in a long time. I'm so glad I had the chance to experience it like that before it quickly (and criminally) faded out of the theaters.
Old 09-16-07, 04:54 PM
X
Administrator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts
Here's possibly the first Death Proof Extended DVD Review out there?:

http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com/...d-unrated.html

The DVD doesn't have the greatest extras ever, but it Death Proof Extended still looks good. There's some screenshots of the new scenes (including the "missing reel"), too.
I only wrote part one today...! Soon (maybe tomorrow or the day after). Glad you're interested!
Please read our rules concerning linking to your review site:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=186836
Old 09-17-07, 12:45 PM

Hi X, thanks for the heads up. Don't worry, I won't take the piss, I'm not planning on posting any more, in fact, and I'd love to take part in discussions here, too.
Old 09-17-07, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by slowcloud
Besides, Grindhouse was a cinemahouse experience that can never be recreated at home. It was one of the best nights out at the movies as a movie experience, for me, in a long time. I'm so glad I had the chance to experience it like that before it quickly (and criminally) faded out of the theaters.
Here in the UK I'm going to have to wait for some time and even then it's not guaranteed it's going to be shown at the cinema I'd love to have that experience. I think that's what a lot of people who are upset with the DVD don't understand, Grindhouse is not Death Proof and vice versa. Grindhouse is a unique experience in itself and the longer version of Death Proof wouldn't have fit in with it, IMHO.

Fingers crossed that Grindhouse is on its way over here soon!
Old 09-20-07, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slowcloud
Isn't recreating the cinematic experience at home what all movie fans want? And it's not like there's not plenty of "Double-Features" already out on DVD. Sounds like a lame excuse for not putting the entire "experience" in one box, but hey, whatever lets the suits milk the fans for the most money I guess.
Old 09-20-07, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I kinda wished they'd called this release "Boulevard du morte", which I believe was the title of its premier at Cannes (but I'm going on memory regarding every single fact asserted in that last sentence!). That would distinguish it quite well from the "Grindhouse" experience, and still maintain a jokey, insiderish play on conventions... the festival premier, the tongue-in-cheek pretension of a French title bestowed on an American "genre" film, etc..
Old 09-21-07, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Isn't recreating the cinematic experience at home what all movie fans want? And it's not like there's not plenty of "Double-Features" already out on DVD. Sounds like a lame excuse for not putting the entire "experience" in one box, but hey, whatever lets the suits milk the fans for the most money I guess.
Right!

Why didn't they release Grindhouse first and then go about the usual way of milking the fans by releasing the theatrical version of Death Proof, followed by the single version of Planet Terror followed by an extended version of Grindhouse, followed by a special extended version of Death Proof, followed by a special extended version of Planet Terror, followed by special extended deluxe director cuts of Grindhouse, Death Proof, and Terror Planet as well as the multi-disc all-encompassing gift box?

Somehow, I feel gyped.
Old 09-22-07, 07:49 PM

No one's "gyping" anyone, you can NOT buy the single releases and wait for the inevitable full Grindhouse experience. You'll just have to wait awhile. Too bad the fans couldn't keep this afloat at the box office. I'm glad I saw it twice in theaters, it was fantastic. I would love to hear a Weinstein Bros. heartfelt monologue where they blame the lazy "fans" who decided to wait till DVD...it's all your fault anyways.
Old 09-22-07, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Elpresidentepez
No one's "gyping" anyone, you can NOT buy the single releases and wait for the inevitable full Grindhouse experience. You'll just have to wait awhile. Too bad the fans couldn't keep this afloat at the box office. I'm glad I saw it twice in theaters, it was fantastic. I would love to hear a Weinstein Bros. heartfelt monologue where they blame the lazy "fans" who decided to wait till DVD...it's all your fault anyways.
I enjoyed my two viewings at the theater as well. And I normally don't even like to be at the theater! they were fun crowds, and for once I didn't mind them hootin' and hollerin' all that much. I get the impression that most people that actually saw this at the theater liked, or loved it.

Last edited by GroovyNightmare; 09-22-07 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-23-07, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Elpresidentepez
Lazy fans?! I'm willing to buy the damn "Grindhouse" film sight unseen and give it precious shelf space in my overcrowded DVD case. (I'll even spring for the more expensive Blu-ray version.) I'm even willing to round up ten friends and serve them cheap popcorn and watery sodas as we all watch it together in my uncomfortable living room. What the hell more do these damn Weinstein Brothers want from a consumer? Just release the film the way it was originally shown in the theaters already!

Dear Weinstein Brothers,

Take my money! PLEASE!

Last edited by Franchot; 09-23-07 at 03:13 AM.
Old 09-23-07, 09:03 AM

It's not as bad as a lot of people are making out. You're not being forced to double dip.

I've just written the second part of my write-up of the Q&A session with Tarantino on my blog, and this is how it begins:

At the moment, wherever I look when I go to read about Death Proof, there seems to be someone complaining that they're being forced to 'double dip' on DVD and that the only reason they're not seeing Grindhouse is because it flopped in US cinemas. Now while this latter statement is true if you're in the UK or Australia and waiting for the cinema release, it's definitely not true about the DVD release, nor is anyone being forced to 'double dip'. (Remember the rumours about the six different versions of Kill Bill to be released in a year? We're still waiting...)

Death Proof 'Extended' (a confusing term) is actually just Death Proof. You see, as Tarantino put it, he made Death Proof, Rodriguez made Planet Terror and together they made Grindhouse. Three separate entities.

Tarantino explained how the only reason he could cut his film down to 90 minutes for use in Grindhouse was because he knew that his longer cut would be the one that was going to be seen in most of the cinemas of the world (Grindhouse was never set for a worldwide release) and the one that was going to be released everywhere on DVD. He also added that while he was editing for Grindhouse he had to make sure that he was serving the experience of Grindhouse. Otherwise, he said, he simply would not have been able to lose the scenes he did.

So, to try and make this absolutely clear, and in contrast to the many misinformed reviewers and film commentators out there: The release of the longer, separate cut of Death Proof was not a 'studio' decision. It was nothing to do with Grindhouse being a failure in the US (except in the one or two countries that were originally set to get Grindhouse at their cinemas). It was planned from day one. The rest of the world, believe it or not, we're not that interested in Grindhouse and so Death Proof and Planet Terror is what was sold to them.

Tarantino is proud of the film he's made and cares about it. How, realistically, could he not? It's something he spent years of his life creating, and this is the version he wanted people to consider his. The longer version of Death Proof is his film. Grindhouse was a film he made with Rodriguez.
It's really not that bad. If Grindhouse had been a success at the cinema, people wouldn't be as suspicious about why they were getting Death Proof on DVD first.

Last edited by John CW; 09-23-07 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-23-07, 10:20 AM
Banned

I didn't like DEATH PROOF, but for anyone else that didn't like it does this new extended cut change your mind?
Old 09-23-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by wm lopez
I didn't like DEATH PROOF, but for anyone else that didn't like it does this new extended cut change your mind?
Well, the inclusion of the lap dance scene was nice (I'm a fan of Vanessa Ferlito, so I'm biased), but overall I didn't think it was a better movie. I think I gave DP a 2.75/5 and after seeing it again, I bumped it up to a 3/5. So slightly better, but my preferred choice of the Grindhouse movies was Planet Terror.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.