Reload this Page >

Question about displaying boxed sets...

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 09-15-07, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i'm thinking about ditching all the boxes i have that hold amaray cases (rambo trilogy, blade trilogy, rocky anthology,batman anthology) and displaying them with the rest of the amarays. Anyone else do this?
Old 09-15-07, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NO!!!

I love the way the boxes look, and usually display the boxes separate from my regular DVDs...
Old 09-15-07, 05:35 AM

I used to keep all my boxsets as they were but eventually some started coming out in odd shapes, large sized or sizes other than what would fit on a standard shelf. Ones that don't cause any additional 'clutter' (like the batman box) I'll keep. Ones that are strange shapes or stick out, I've put in the closet and just used the included DVD cases on my shelves.
Old 09-15-07, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you decide to do this, Ill gladly take your Batman and Blade boxes
Old 09-15-07, 09:30 AM

No! Why on Earth would you want to do that?!
Old 09-15-07, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It all depends on the box. If it's a nice looking package, keep them in the box. Most sets, like WB noir, Rocky, Puppet Master and Val Lewton, I keep in the box. Others, like the Wayne/Ford collection and LotR extended cuts I tend to display on their own. It's all about what looks aesthetically pleasing to your eye, not anyone else's. Do what you think looks best.
Old 09-15-07, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,287 Likes on 936 Posts
^^^ I pretty much agree with KC.
Old 09-15-07, 04:54 PM

absolutely NO. but that's just imho. i like to display box side out because it actually draws attention to the fact that it's a box set/collection.

that said, if you do plan on getting rid of them, consider putting up a list and selling them to other members. depending on what boxes you have, i'm sure there are plenty of dvdtalkers interested in them. some might have damaged boxes they'd like to replace.
Old 09-15-07, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

in some cases, i gladly pay more for the box than for purchasing the individual titles. im sick.
Old 09-15-07, 06:58 PM
Cool New Member

Ugh no. Throwing away the box totally devalues the set IMO.
Don't get me wrong, I get DVDs because I enjoy them but on the chance I may ever sell them I keep them in the best condition possible. Not to mention if they come as a box set the box IS part of the collection.
Old 09-15-07, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Entropy
Ugh no. Throwing away the box totally devalues the set IMO.
Don't get me wrong, I get DVDs because I enjoy them but on the chance I may ever sell them I keep them in the best condition possible. Not to mention if they come as a box set the box IS part of the collection.
well i wouldnt throw the box away. I'd set it aside.
Old 09-15-07, 07:46 PM

I've gotten rid of some boxes (like Spiderman 1 & 2) and a lot of slip covers (most recently Misery). Personally, I don't care about too much about what's appealing to the eye, b/c I plan on getting a cabinet where I can close it to keep a clean look. I think a lot of bookshelves with dvds/cds open for display look tacky.
Old 09-15-07, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lee Harvey Oswald
I've gotten rid of some boxes (like Spiderman 1 & 2) and a lot of slip covers (most recently Misery). Personally, I don't care about too much about what's appealing to the eye, b/c I plan on getting a cabinet where I can close it to keep a clean look. I think a lot of bookshelves with dvds/cds open for display look tacky.
Yeah I never keep slipcovers. Id think all the amarays in the box sets I have would look better with the rest of the amarays. All the box sets are different in sizes they are either too tall/short or stick out too much.
Old 09-16-07, 12:54 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
I throw away all boxes, cases, inserts, etc and put the DVDs in CD binders.

Not really, I do use binders for most of my movies for space reasons, but I don't throw anything away.
Old 09-16-07, 01:13 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Any box that is a regular sized box goes into my box sets, anything that is crazy in size or not a box (a tin or something) is displayed like a collectible. I can post images of examples of what I do when my camera battery is charged, maybe tomorrow.

However, I do usually throw away the boxes when they contain only 2 movies. Like when I bought the American Pie double pack when American Pie 2 came out, I threw the box away and did the same thing with the Billy Madison / Happy Gilmore set, because it's dumb to have a box set for only 2 movies.
Old 09-16-07, 01:19 AM

That ain't wise. It ruins the value of the DVD. Plus it doesn't look cool anymore
Old 09-16-07, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by mikelowry
That ain't wise. It ruins the value of the DVD. Plus it doesn't look cool anymore
I don't really care if it ruins the value or not since I buy them to keep them. I've been collecting for years and still have less than 100 total, so I only buy those that have a lot of replay value.

I'll trade practical storage space vs looking cool anyday.
Old 09-16-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by Lee Harvey Oswald
I don't really care if it ruins the value or not since I buy them to keep them. I've been collecting for years and still have less than 100 total, so I only buy those that have a lot of replay value.

I'll trade practical storage space vs looking cool anyday.
Totally agree with you. Just recently went through the entire collection, and did a thinpak conversion for every title. Boxsets got regular 6/5/etc disc amarays. The only ones that were kept as is were tins, or special edition packaging. Like the Ultimate superman, Oldboy tin, my anchor bay number4ed editions. Stuff like that. Cut teh size the collection took up in pretty close to half.
Old 09-16-07, 05:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Okay here is my regular box sets:

And then here is my "special" box sets

And I have a few others around, but that's how I go about doing that.
Old 09-16-07, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
Totally agree with you. Just recently went through the entire collection, and did a thinpak conversion for every title. Boxsets got regular 6/5/etc disc amarays. The only ones that were kept as is were tins, or special edition packaging. Like the Ultimate superman, Oldboy tin, my anchor bay number4ed editions. Stuff like that. Cut the size the collection took up in pretty close to half.
How did you go about doing a thinpak conversion? Did you only do boxsets? I guess you obtained custom covers for the box sets?

If you did singles, did you print new covers or trim them for the single disc Amarays?
Old 09-17-07, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love my box sets.
Old 09-17-07, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would like to display all my boxsets, but I just dont have the room. I need to stop being lazy and put up some more shelves.
Old 09-17-07, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The only time I take my cases out of a box set is if there's not enough room on the shelf where the title is supposed to go (I keep everything in alphabetical order), and then I just set the case aside until the titles shift to where I can put them back in the box.

Big and/or bulky sets tend to get displayed on the top of my shelving cabinets. Unfortunately I'm running out of room, and I'll have to move some of my "not big, but cool to display" packages (like the 2 Book of the Dead releases) to regular spots on the shelf.