Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : The Simpsons Movie --> December 18th!

Mao
09-14-07, 11:29 PM
Confirmed!

If you're looking for a little Homer for the holidays, you're in luck. The Simpsons Movie will be out in either a full screen or widescreen edition on December 18th.

The DVD includes five deleted scenes, two separate commentary tracks, a bunch of featurettes and an alternate American Idol opening.

The Monkees
09-15-07, 12:09 AM
I want to say this has been posted before, it was on TVShowsonDVD.com a while back.

argh923
09-15-07, 01:25 AM
Yeah, about 2-3 weeks ago.

critterdvd
09-15-07, 03:59 AM
an alternate American Idol opening.

I'm assuming its the simpsons spoofing "American Idol" and not a random "American Idol" plug, right? I mean I have to ask because this is FOX we are talking about :p.

chris_sc77
09-15-07, 10:21 AM
I would bet that The 11th season of the Simpsons will come out on the same day.
Also i would hate to see how terrible the fool-screen is for this one considering how wide this film is....

mdc3000
09-15-07, 10:36 AM
I'm assuming its the simpsons spoofing "American Idol" and not a random "American Idol" plug, right? I mean I have to ask because this is FOX we are talking about :p.

Yeah, a spoof but it aired as part of American Idol...it was funny. As for the fullscreen version, the coolness of opening the movie at 1.33 and then expanding to 2.35 will be totally lost on those viewers - there won't be a change to signify "THIS IS A MOVIE" at all :P

islandclaws
09-15-07, 10:46 AM
Looks like a very weak edition. I'll still buy this, even though we ALL know that this movie screams double, nay triple dip. It's all about Spiderpig.

smashthesymbols
09-15-07, 11:49 AM
I would bet that The 11th season of the Simpsons will come out on the same day.
That's entirely possible. They've had a pretty good August-December release pattern going, so a December release fits right in, and tying it into the movie makes perfect sense.

I know this will get a double dip down the road, but I'll still be getting it on release. I hope we get a really good exclusive from someone too. Only one though, I don't want to have to buy this multiple times to get all the exclusives.

mzupeman2
09-15-07, 12:33 PM
It is entirely possible Season 11 could come right before Christmas. I didn't even think of that, considering we just got Season 10.

Bluelitespecial
09-15-07, 07:03 PM
Also i would hate to see how terrible the fool-screen is for this one considering how wide this film is....

Yeah Man, for a tv show that has been full screen its whole run, this was absolutely awesome seeing the Simpsons in Widescreen, the full screen will be horrible.

nateman
09-16-07, 08:38 AM
I definitely think the 11th Season will be coming out the same day as the movie. The seasons have a pretty consistent release pattern with 1 season set in August & 1 season set in December, which equals 2 seasonís of The Simpsons on DVD a year.

Like others have said, The Simpsons: Movie screams double/triple/quadruple-dipping, but Iíll most definitely be picking up the ďbarebonesĒ release on Dec. 18th. Count me in as another who canít wait too see The Simpsons in Widescreen. I havenít seen the movie yet (donít go to theatres anymore).

Like I said, I pretty much guarantee the 11th Season of The Simpsons will come out the same day as the movie. FOX loves the cash & it would be a bad business move if they didnít release emí both on the same day.

Zen Peckinpah
10-02-07, 09:58 AM
Artwork is up (http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/the-simpsons-movie.html). Love it...the teaser poster art. And Spider Pig is on it!

fumanstan
10-02-07, 10:51 AM
Great cover!

Seantn
10-02-07, 12:11 PM
Jeez...that cover art quote is a little over the top.

Bandit03
10-02-07, 01:25 PM
Glad they went with that cover, for some reason I was expecting something completely different.

nateman
10-02-07, 02:57 PM
Very pleasing cover art & itíll definitely look nice beside my, The Simpsons season sets. Looks like thereís going to be, not a lot, but Ďworthyí bonus features at least.

Giles
10-02-07, 03:01 PM
Yeah Man, for a tv show that has been full screen its whole run, this was absolutely awesome seeing the Simpsons in Widescreen, the full screen will be horrible.

yes. watching this in full screen would be counter intuitive imo.

critterdvd
10-02-07, 03:03 PM
The cover-art, like the movie itself is a little too anti-climatic for me...

paulringodaman
10-02-07, 04:28 PM
i like it

LorenzoL
11-01-07, 09:04 PM
Here in Canada, Future Shop will have an exclusive for "The Simpsons Movie" however, for those expecting it to be a steelbook will be disappointed. The FS Exclusive is a "Springfield 2007 city guide".

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FSM2143213&catid=14715&logon=&langid=EN#

smashthesymbols
11-11-07, 03:30 PM
Has anyone heard anything about exclusives for this? I'm anxious to get this but don't want to jump the gun on a preorder if there's going to be good exclusives.

thedrizzle
11-24-07, 07:28 PM
In England, exclusively at Woolworth's, you get a free Spiderpig with Pre-order.

http://www.woolworths.co.uk/web/jsp/browse/index.jsp?cat=cat1004231

Dean Kousoulas
11-24-07, 08:14 PM
I love the cover, but that damn quote had to go ahead and ruin it for me. It's The Simpsons, FOX! We know how funny it is/once was!

GoldenJCJ
11-24-07, 08:28 PM
^^ Yeah, and worse, it's from Gene Shalit. All that guy is is a quote whore. He only writes what he hopes will end up as a blurb in a TV spot or dvd cover.

RichardW
11-24-07, 09:00 PM
I'm hoping to get a Blu-ray player soon, so I'll probably be buying this on Blu-ray. Maybe Santa will be good to me. ;)

mikelowry
11-24-07, 09:21 PM
Neat cover art. Is there a 2 disc release?

Simpson Purist
11-25-07, 08:44 AM
The cover is okay, but I'm hoping that it is the slipcover and the case cover features the entire family.

And no 2-disc, which is very disappointing considering it's been rumored that there's a ton of deleted material.

LorenzoL
11-25-07, 11:03 AM
I think is safe to assume that a double dip of this title in a SE format is a given.

Geekozoid
11-25-07, 10:13 PM
I wonder if this movie was filmed anamorphically in some way. IMdb just says "Digital" for cinematographic process. I'd like to know if the 1.33:1 version will actually be panned and scanned or somehow re-formated.

Rusty Nail
12-07-07, 01:43 PM
I few people who bought the dvd overseas claim that the dvd is non anamorphic, can anyone confirm or deny this.

The Valeyard
12-07-07, 01:57 PM
I few people who bought the dvd overseas claim that the dvd is non anamorphic, can anyone confirm or deny this.

From our very own DVDTalk review:

VIDEO: "The Simpsons Movie" is presented by 20th Century Fox in 2.40:1 anamorphic widescreen. The screening copy of the film that was provided offered perfectly fine image quality, with the only concern being some slight artifacting. However, this is still not the final copy and unfortunately, I cannot make any final comments on it, as the final copy will likely offer differing (and hopefully better) image quality.

crs
12-07-07, 02:44 PM

I've got the retail R2 and it's anamorphic.

Seems some people are confused because of the first minute where the movie does not fill the whole widescreen picture (as per the in-movie joke), and think it's non-anamorphic. I read on a forum about a guy pissed off and immediately stopping the DVD in dismay. Guess the joke was on him.

milo bloom
12-07-07, 05:06 PM
I've got the retail R2 and it's anamorphic.

Seems some people are confused because of the first minute where the movie does not fill the whole widescreen picture (as per the in-movie joke), and think it's non-anamorphic. I read on a forum about a guy pissed off and immediately stopping the DVD in dismay. Guess the joke was on him.

rotfl

That's even better than people leaving True Lies when the nuke goes off.

mikelowry
12-07-07, 05:23 PM
I say it's not an impressive release being a single disc edition. Probably purchase it later once price drops.

manicsounds
12-07-07, 09:36 PM
I have the region 3 and it's anamorphic. Looks and Sounds great. Mine also came with a small "booklet", a springfield shopper flier.

tinlunlau
12-09-07, 07:42 AM
saw the region 1 version on sale at HMV (Hong Kong).
not touchin' it till i get a little more dough. so many early legit dvd releases in hong kong right now. region 3 edition of 'the simpsons movie' is also out in stores right now.

tylergfoster
12-14-07, 12:30 AM
Anyone hear of any bonus discs?

The Monkees
12-14-07, 02:10 AM
I was able to get my hands on this last week. The movie looks good, and I watched the deleted scenes. They weren't so great, lets just say it was nice they left these out. They were fully animated. They also had some things where Homer had the opening monologue on the Tonight Show and American Idol too.

Snowmaker
12-14-07, 06:14 PM
Target $5 off online coupon:

http://www.foxhome.com/target/simpsonsmovie/

MikeShaynePI
12-17-07, 11:29 PM
This is the Simpsons, so I'm really wonder how much better the movie could possibly look in high-def? This seems like one instance that I wouldn't really need to go blu-ray. Anyone seen any comparison screens that would change my mind, or should I save the money and use that coupon?

lawdood
12-18-07, 01:01 AM
This is the Simpsons, so I'm really wonder how much better the movie could possibly look in high-def? This seems like one instance that I wouldn't really need to go blu-ray. Anyone seen any comparison screens that would change my mind, or should I save the money and use that coupon?

I've been wondering the same thing. Is paying double really worth it for the Blu Ray on this one? I'm having trouble deciding.

The Bus
12-18-07, 08:28 AM
A decent question, especially if you have an upconverter. The Futurama movie looked pretty good on my HDTV, and that was an upconverted DVD.

I think I'll wait for BD reviews to come out to decide. My BD player is hooked up to my TV so I wouldn't benefit from PCM sound anyway.

rexinnih
12-18-07, 12:27 PM
I've been wondering the same thing. Is paying double really worth it for the Blu Ray on this one? I'm having trouble deciding.

I've been debating this also but the Target coupon is too good to pass up.

islandclaws
12-18-07, 01:21 PM
I grabbed mine at CC. I wanted the free poster of Springfield they were giving away, plus it was only $2 more than Target if you used the $5 off coupon there.

dom56
12-18-07, 02:13 PM
I got mine at Wal-Mart cause I really wanted the figurines it come with.

saoirse
12-18-07, 04:46 PM
Just watched this and it's almost as horrible as the TV show has become. Damn, I was hoping for it to be funny (like the middle years).

CertifiedTHX
12-18-07, 09:11 PM
Impressions of the poster-sized Springfield map?

Thought it might be packaged like a real poster, rolled up in a plastic sleeve, rather than apparently folded to fit inside the case. Ended up getting the movie from Best Buy. Right choice, or is the Springfield map worth it?

--THX

LorenzoL
12-18-07, 09:29 PM
I purchased the movie at Wal-Mart for $17.97 Canadian. It was too great of a price to pass it up.

Nesbit
12-18-07, 09:39 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere but I just started the actor/writer commentary and they pause the film for about 5 minutes to make a point about a specific scene. Very cool.

Not so cool? The insert feels like it is made out of the same paper as the scholastic book catalogs you would get in school and several pages come stuck together in the corner which makes it near impossible to open without ripping in some way.

If you shop at Albertsons they are starting a promotion tomorrow where you buy the film for $20 and get a coupon for $10 off your next grocery bill of $50 or more. I got them to do it for me tonight.

EddieN
12-19-07, 08:52 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned anywhere but I just started the actor/writer commentary and they pause the film for about 5 minutes to make a point about a specific scene. Very cool.

LOLz. I thought my copy was defective.

The Infidel
12-19-07, 09:01 AM
They stopped it at another point for about 20 minutes, it seemed like. Kind of aggravating.

Nesbit
12-19-07, 10:29 AM
They stopped it at another point for about 20 minutes, it seemed like. Kind of aggravating.

I liked it but then again I love their commentaries.

notkevinbacon
12-19-07, 10:57 AM
Yeah, I really love Simpsons commentaries... this one was pretty great! I really dug the stop and chats.

I really liked the Springfield shopper included as well... yeah it's newspaper material and a little bit cheap feeling... but that's a newspaper for you. It's a little extra I wasn't expecting.

I am totally in for a double dip (if one is makes it's way out)... the disc seems a little skimpy for a Simpsons dvd and, not to mention, 20+ years of history to speak about.

Dean Kousoulas
12-19-07, 12:00 PM

Not so cool? The insert feels like it is made out of the same paper as the scholastic book catalogs you would get in school and several pages come stuck together in the corner which makes it near impossible to open without ripping in some way.

If you shop at Albertsons they are starting a promotion tomorrow where you buy the film for $20 and get a coupon for $10 off your next grocery bill of $50 or more. I got them to do it for me tonight.

I actually wished more commentaries did this. If there is a scene that needs further discussion, it would be best to pause it then to continue talking about it while a new scene has started. I'm not sure if that's the case with The Simpsons Movie, as I haven't listened to it yet.

I also liked the insert. It feels like a newspaper, and I loved Homer's quote about Star Wars on the last page, "It's a spoof of Spaceballs"

TheXFactor
12-19-07, 12:09 PM
I'm pretty satisfied with the dvd. The Simpsons can never do any wrong for me.

TheJoker
12-19-07, 04:22 PM
I actually wished more commentaries did this. If there is a scene that needs further discussion, it would be best to pause it then to continue talking about it while a new scene has started. I'm not sure if that's the case with The Simpsons Movie, as I haven't listened to it yet.

I also liked the insert. It feels like a newspaper, and I loved Homer's quote about Star Wars on the last page, "It's a spoof of Spaceballs"

Or when he goes on and talks about Indy Jones and then says at the end, next week Star Wars

Also, anyone that got this from CC have pictures of the map?

JediJones
12-19-07, 05:06 PM
Just watched this and it's almost as horrible as the TV show has become. Damn, I was hoping for it to be funny (like the middle years).

I'm a longtime fan from the first season on. I also think the "middle years" (which are really starting to become the early years) are probably the best television ever produced. And I think the show dropped in quality so much so suddenly that it's almost embarrassing and painful to watch anything from the last 10 seasons. However, I thought the movie was a clear and striking return to the same quality of the middle seasons. It felt very much like an average episode from one of the great seasons 5 or 6...and back then average meant very good compared to anything else on TV. I only wish the show today showed the same quality the movie did. They seem to have let their standards slide badly even though the movie shows they are still capable of getting the right people together to produce quality material again. I also thought the movie was better, certainly much more cinematic than the new Futurama DVD movie. The quality of David Silverman's direction was unmistakable.

Me too. I've watched Simpsons episode commentaries where it took them so long to explain the background behind one thing that they ended up talking over other things that I really hoped they would comment on. The closest I've seen to this on the episode DVDs is when they let the black at the end of an episode run longer to fit in more discussion at the end. Although they did do pausing like this on some of the episode animatic commentaries which worked fantastically.

This is a great feature for a commentary and if it's that easy to do, I'm really shocked DVDs don't do it more often. I'd also like to see something shown on DVD like what Roger Ebert used to do for certain movies, where they get a whole auditorium of people together and any one of them can yell out to pause the movie at any time to discuss it. But I wonder if that's one reason more extras couldn't fit on the disc. I always assumed the picture for the movie on a DVD was just recorded once on the disc, and the commentary was just an alternate audio track played over the same picture. If they incorporate pausing though, it seems like they might have to record the whole picture a second time on the disc, thereby more than doubling the amount of space on the disc the picture would take up.

Alan Smithee
12-19-07, 07:10 PM
The "pause points" are all near the beginning of the disc- when playing Title 2 the player skips back to these points then back to the movie.

TheKing
12-20-07, 02:37 AM
I'm a longtime fan from the first season on. I also think the "middle years" (which are really starting to become the early years) are probably the best television ever produced. And I think the show dropped in quality so much so suddenly that it's almost embarrassing and painful to watch anything from the last 10 seasons. However, I thought the movie was a clear and striking return to the same quality of the middle seasons. It felt very much like an average episode from one of the great seasons 5 or 6...and back then average meant very good compared to anything else on TV. I only wish the show today showed the same quality the movie did. They seem to have let their standards slide badly even though the movie shows they are still capable of getting the right people together to produce quality material again. I also thought the movie was better, certainly much more cinematic than the new Futurama DVD movie. The quality of David Silverman's direction was unmistakable.

Me too. I've watched Simpsons episode commentaries where it took them so long to explain the background behind one thing that they ended up talking over other things that I really hoped they would comment on. The closest I've seen to this on the episode DVDs is when they let the black at the end of an episode run longer to fit in more discussion at the end. Although they did do pausing like this on some of the episode animatic commentaries which worked fantastically.

This is a great feature for a commentary and if it's that easy to do, I'm really shocked DVDs don't do it more often. I'd also like to see something shown on DVD like what Roger Ebert used to do for certain movies, where they get a whole auditorium of people together and any one of them can yell out to pause the movie at any time to discuss it. But I wonder if that's one reason more extras couldn't fit on the disc. I always assumed the picture for the movie on a DVD was just recorded once on the disc, and the commentary was just an alternate audio track played over the same picture. If they incorporate pausing though, it seems like they might have to record the whole picture a second time on the disc, thereby more than doubling the amount of space on the disc the picture would take up.

DVDs have seamless branching, meaning they can add parts in or take parts out in order to have different cuts of films without having to have two full versions of a film. When you choose the commentary here, you're also chooing these pauses being branched in.

SpaceBoy
12-20-07, 08:50 AM
Does anybody's disc simply not play? I had to jump through hoops to get this thing to play then it just freezes again right after GreenDay in the beginning. This is the first time I've got a disc that just is defective I presume.. Ugh..

CertifiedTHX
12-21-07, 08:44 PM
Are all the copies at Circuit City with the Springfield map sold out? I'm seeing them online for $30 to $70, which is insane if it's still in stores for $13.99.

--THX

Me007gold
12-21-07, 10:03 PM
Does anybody's disc simply not play? I had to jump through hoops to get this thing to play then it just freezes again right after GreenDay in the beginning. This is the first time I've got a disc that just is defective I presume.. Ugh..

i rented it from one of those red box things, and it would not play at all. not in my portable, xbox30, pc, laptop or dvd player. i put it in my pc and tried to open the disk, and there was nothing on the disk period.

bluetoast
12-21-07, 11:03 PM
Wow, glad to hear about the extended commentaries with paused screens, etc.

As for another instance, I read that for Finding Nemo, they go on for about 20 minutes after the credits end.

Abe.
12-21-07, 11:32 PM
Did anyone else find the transfer to be a little subpar? I'll have to pop the disc in again, but I found it to be a very muddy picture.

Maybe I should just get the BD version?

mzupeman2
12-22-07, 07:26 AM
I as well, felt that the picture could have been a little better... especially for an animated release.

cbearnm
12-22-07, 12:33 PM
I thought the pause for the commentary was a great feature.

Are there other commentaries for movies or TV series that do this?

crs
12-22-07, 12:49 PM
I as well, felt that the picture could have been a little better... especially for an animated release.

I also found it less then stellar (contrary to most DVD reviews). Quite a bit of noise around black lines, especially in the background. Some scenes had compression problems (like when Springfield were running in the streets carrying torches to lynch Homer).

mzupeman2
12-22-07, 02:59 PM
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt this way then. It did have some compression issues but the only real noticable scene I noticed this was the one you already mentioned. There looked like at times there had been a touch of some edge enhancement or something, too.

The Lurker
12-22-07, 11:25 PM
I thought the pause for the commentary was a great feature.

Are there other commentaries for movies or TV series that do this?
The Lost - Season 1 set has a similar feature on the commentary for the Pilot (Part 1), where they request a pause, and it cuts to some behind the scenes footage of the scene they are talking about. It doesn't appear to be the same exact idea, but similar.

Leechboy
12-22-07, 11:50 PM
Did anyone ever find the Wal Mart exclusive with the action figures? I went to a few Wal Marts and nobody had them.

LordStaxxus
12-23-07, 02:47 AM
Did anyone ever find the Wal Mart exclusive with the action figures? I went to a few Wal Marts and nobody had them.

They're small little PVC things without movable parts... They actually look similar to the cake toppers I had on my birthday cake some years ago... They aren't even movie-centric in their poses and designs, sadly.

smashthesymbols
12-23-07, 12:30 PM
The Wal-Mart figures weren't very good. I looked at them and passed. Even as big of a Simpsons fan as I am they weren't worth the $20 price tag.