Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone have this DVD Spinning Storage Rack?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-07, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It says it holds like 750+ but i find it kind of hard to believe. I got a huge growing collection so i need something good, anyone have this, is it worth getting?

Old 09-13-07, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
It looks like a nice rack but I'm not a fan of spinning racks. Plus, it's probably a big pain in the ass to assemble,lol.
Old 09-13-07, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
I don't like the spinning ones either. I had one for my CDs (altho not quite as big), and the weight of them all eventually caused the spinner to break - so it didn't "spin" around anymore.

Just something to keep in mind...
Old 09-13-07, 07:13 AM

I have one just like that:

Mine seems to be a bit smaller (mine is about 5 1/2 DVD-sized shelves high when adjusted to that size).

It seemed to hold about as many DVDs as it claims (holds about 340, although 40 of those need to be "stacked" inside of a CD-shelf sized area on each side (you can see that on the left side of the image))

Mine works fine but requires so much room (room on each side for it to spin - look at the image in your post to see what I mean!). I have so many different DVD shelves and this is probably my least favorite (and most expensive!).

My favorite is:

$60 on sale at Best Buy (although it seems to now be over twice that price). Holds a little over 500 DVDs and is quite 'compact' for that amount (just a bit more than the length of a DVD case when placed against a wall). The spinning shelf takes up probably a 3ft x 3 ft area in a corner giving it room to spin.. Yours would probably be more than that due to the larger size.

The capacity for yours seems to be a little more than it would actually hold. It looks like 25 discs per shelf, 7 shelves, 4 sides.. so about 700.

Last edited by SPIDERone; 09-13-07 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-13-07, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey65
I don't like the spinning ones either. I had one for my CDs (altho not quite as big), and the weight of them all eventually caused the spinner to break - so it didn't "spin" around anymore.

Just something to keep in mind...

The one smaller spinning rack I have doesn't spin anymore either. If I want something from the back side of it, I literally have to pull it forward to access it.
That big shelf system that SPIDERone posted looks really good.
Old 09-13-07, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before I had renovations done in my living room, which is now my HT room, I used to use a spinning rack for my DVDs just like the one in thegame370’s picture but it didn’t hold 750+ DVDs. My DVD collection is way too big for just now for just that one DVD spinner stand. Since I have my Subwoofer were the DVD spinning rack is I just now have the spinner in my basement & I used it for books (which I don’t have many of).

I like DVD racks, they don’t take up as much room & in my opinion they are just more convenient.

My Advice: just get an ordinary non-spinning stand too hold your DVD collection. It works much better, in my opinion.
Old 09-13-07, 08:00 AM

Idont personally own a spinning rack but I know someone who has two and they need a lot of room to be able to spin comfortably within a given space.

Id say go with a shelving system much like SPIDERone posted, I currently have two sets that each hold 360 in my closet (Im in college and live with my parents so there isnt much room) but they have worked out great for me.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1077624680370
Old 09-13-07, 02:59 PM

I have that exact rack. love it, need another.
Old 09-13-07, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
How about something with doors which ALSO hold DVD's?? I built my own and you can see a pic of it here http://danwiz.com/Dec2005DVDCollecti...ollection.html. I got the idea from pictures I looked at on various websites which sell racks and shelves. I MIGHT have ordered from one of those company's, but quality looked barely acceptable and I am also in Japan, so shipping would have cost more than the rack. So, I ended up building my own - both quality AND materials are first rate - cost was also high, but you get what you pay for. Took me a couple of months to build it, sand it, finish it and so on - in my "spare" time.
Old 09-13-07, 10:19 PM

I have a spinning one that I just got that hold 1040 CDs or 500-600 DVD's.

It was actually quite esay to put together. Al the holes were drilled and ready to go and the spinner part was all together. Just had to put the "sides" together - they were "L" shapes - one long board attached to another in an "L". Put together each "L" on the base and go around in circle with each of the 4 "L"'s. Put the top on and then put in your adjustable shelves and away you go.

Mine's about 5 foot. I "configured" mine with 3 CD shelves and 5 DVD shelves per side.

Note though that some bigger DVD cases, like Seinfeld gift set and Disney Tins do not fit in my configuration unless I use a 3 CD / 4 DVD shelf configuration. Then I can get a small couple inch shelf to place some DVD's flat.

I like mine alot and got it for space reasons since I could fit more in a compact area. It held all my CD's and 3 other various shelving units. It does not hold everything but help me gain some space and have some more room for DVD's as well.

edit: mine is a Leslie Dame from DD with free shipping and each of the long panels were protected with a plastic film. I was quite happy with the packing as well, inner and outer boxes. The outside was all beat up but not a scratch inside. All-in-all quite heavy too. So I think it will be pretty sturdy and last.

Last edited by forumsmy; 09-13-07 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-13-07, 10:59 PM

I have a spinner rack which holds about 200 DVD's and I am overflowing a lot now but it is a good space saver with my room setup. The main issue I would see with this is its kind of a bitch for me to spin these 200 so I could just imagine 500-600. The weight would be a lot.
Old 09-13-07, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
You could almost make your own. Buy 4 bookshelf cases about 3ft wide, then glue/nail them together. Have them cut a few square sheets for the top bottom, and the other piece where the bearings will go between. Then just buy your own custom steel ball-bearing pieces at Home Depot or Lowes.

I might try this one of these days.
Old 09-14-07, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by danwiz
How about something with doors which ALSO hold DVD's?? I built my own and you can see a pic of it here http://danwiz.com/Dec2005DVDCollecti...ollection.html. I got the idea from pictures I looked at on various websites which sell racks and shelves. I MIGHT have ordered from one of those company's, but quality looked barely acceptable and I am also in Japan, so shipping would have cost more than the rack. So, I ended up building my own - both quality AND materials are first rate - cost was also high, but you get what you pay for. Took me a couple of months to build it, sand it, finish it and so on - in my "spare" time.
Thats a nice one you built yourself there.
Well right now what i have is two big book shelve cases like the one Spiderone posted a pic of. I have them standing side by side and is taking up too much space. I have my basic DVDs there while i have my TV DVDs and box sets in my room. The spinning rack looks interesting but i can see how maybe the wieght may be a problem for the spinner.

This is what i have now for my basic DVDs

This is my TV DVDs and Box Sets in my room

And im trying to see if i can conserve a bit of space and put the spinning DVD rack here

Last edited by thegame370; 09-14-07 at 06:03 AM.