Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Recommend me some deluxe editions of classic jazz cds

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-07, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the 3-disc Piper at the Gates (Pink Floyd) edition out, I am reminded how much I like my complete Miles Davis collections:

I have the Complete Editions of Miles Davis' In a Silent Way, Bitches Brew, and Jack Johnson.

I believe I am familiar with most of the other Miles ones: w/ Gil Evans, Coltrane, etc.; I think I am familiar with most of the nicer and bigger Coltrane sets (Village Vanguard, etc.)

Let me know if there are any great, deluxe editions of other jazz classic cds that you recommend. As far as I can tell, there is not one for Blue Train (Coltrane), nor a specific one for Kind of Blue (but is covered on the Miles/Coltrane one... reviews?).

TIA
Old 09-12-07, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Aside from the alternate 'Flamenco Sketches' there isn't really any bonus material from the Kind of Blue sessions. As for Blue Train, I have a disc called 'Ultimate Blue Train' with a couple of alternate takes, plus CD-ROM material. Again, I don't think there's enough material from that date to fill out more than a single disc.

I highly recommend the Bill Evans Complete Village Vanguard Recordings - it collects all of the material from Sunday At The Village Vanguard and Waltz For Debby, as well as alternate takes. Essential listening. Since you seem to be a Miles fan, I'd also recommend the '65-68 Quintet box, as well as the Cellar Door sessions set. They're also releasing an On The Corner box set soon...
Old 09-13-07, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Completely forgot the obvious - Coltrane's A Love Supreme DE, with the only recorded live performance of the album in it's entirety. The Miles Davis 'Round Midnight Legacy Edition also has a second disc with live stuff from Newport, but I've not heard it, so I can't comment on the quality of the live stuff...
Old 09-13-07, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Miles' Plugged Nickel set is pretty much essential, as is Keith Jarrett's Blue Note box (not a reissue, I know, but damn fine. And whopping.)
Old 09-13-07, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm taking notes. More suggestions encouraged! The Bill Evans one seems to be a must have in my book. Thanks!
Old 09-13-07, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cgray
The Bill Evans one seems to be a must have in my book. Thanks!
You won't be sorry!

That Plugged Nickel set is great, though sadly out of print now...
Old 09-15-07, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WillieTheShakes
Miles' Plugged Nickel set is pretty much essential, as is Keith Jarrett's Blue Note box (not a reissue, I know, but damn fine. And whopping.)
Plugged Nickel is a very good box set. There was a HUGE price mismatch about 6 years ago on Amazon. Just taking a look at my receipt ... the box set sold for $12.32 instead of ~$120.
Old 09-15-07, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's is some of the best Jazz ever:

Lady Day: The Complete Billie Holiday on Columbia (1933-1944) (10 cd's)

The Complete Billie Holiday On Verve, 1945-1959 (10 cd's)

You can never go wrong with LadyDay the greatest Jazz singer of All-Time period.