24 Season 4 Thoughts SPOILERS

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-11-07, 07:04 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

PLEASE NO SEASON 5, 6 or 7 SPOILERS !

Well i actually made my way through Season 4 is pretty quick smart time. I saw a lot of people rated this season pretty lowly but overall i enjoyed it. It's probably a case that a bad season of 24 is still better than a lot of stuff out there.

Lots of new characters to start with. I didn't see the Tony return coming so that was an awesome surprise. I saw the Michelle return coming cos of a comment that she was working at Division. The David Palmer return was also fairly readable. So by the end of the season, the whole gang were back together !

Audrey was an alright character , not as good as Kate. The rescue of Audrey and the Sec of Defence by Jack was awesome, my favourite part of the whole season. The Sec of Defence was a great character, really believable. My second fav part was the shootout in the gunstore with Jack, Paul and the two brothers who owned the gunstore against the Mercs.

I was impressed with the actor who played President Logan because he really was believable as an indecisive dimwit but at the same time it wasn't too much that you couldn't believe he was Vice Pres.

The ending of the season with Mahwan was a bit anticlimatic, the female assassin who showed up late was crazy, sexy, cool ! I found the Chinese consolate storyline much more interesting in the run home than the nuke storyline.

Great ending, Jack Bauer is officially dead !

Chloe and Edgar were great this season and the geekly rivalry between them was cool. The Driscoll's daughter storyline was the worst part of the season but at least it got her off the show.

Curtis was a great addition to CTU. No Kim Bauer was refreshing. The deteroriation of Jack and Audrey's relationship was very well done.

Gonna start Season 5 this weekend

PLEASE NO SEASON 5, 6 or 7 SPOILERS !
Old 09-11-07, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I think the only truly amazing thing to come out of season 4 was S.o.D. Heller. Curtis was decent, as was Edgar that season, but not in the same league as William Devane.

Also, when burning through them on DVD it is very easy to overlook plot holes the size of Texas. On a week to week basis, your mind has far too much time to process how inconsistent and bad each episode was.

I'm more anxious to see your thoughts on Season 5.
Old 09-11-07, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
the marwan escaping plot point was used way too many times.

I enjoyed the family terroist sleeping cell.

The love triangle between jack, audery, and paul was very annoying.

The best hour was the rescue of Secretary Heller. Action Jack at his best.

Air Force One being blown up was the biggest shock that season.

I liked this season
Old 09-11-07, 08:20 PM

was good seeing a young Leighton Meister (Beerus's girlfriend) ! even though she got killed quick. Hell if i were Beerus i would also disobey my parents to tap it !

Beerus was an interesting character, shame they didn't tell us what ultimately happened to him. Beerus clubbing his would be killer to death with the spade was cool

Seeing a father willing to kill his son was quick chilling.
Old 09-11-07, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I did enjoy the terrorist family cell plot, especially the mom. I believe the DVDs have a deleted scene of what happened to Behrooz.

Was this the season that had the mountains in Iowa?
Old 09-11-07, 10:59 PM

I actually downloaded all the dvd extras so will watch them next
Old 09-11-07, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This season moved so quickly I'm not sure if it plays better on DVD or not. I watched it over a few days on DVD and it was complete overkill. After the 3rd or 4th "largest terrorist attack in US history" was revealed to be nothing but a smoke screen to setup another even bigger attack, it got tiring. and Marwan escaping not once, not twice but 3 times from a CTU "sealed" perimeter was ridiculous.

There were a few bright spots, the early episodes dealing with the SoD's kidnapping were good, as was the terrorist family. And Mandy's return was cool.
Old 09-12-07, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
[After seeing season 6]: Come back season 4. All is forgiven.
Old 09-12-07, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts
Casting William Devane was one of the best ideas the 24 producer's ever did. Heller was a solid character.

I also really enjoyed the Araz family. Shohreh Aghdashloo (Dina Araz) is an awesome actress.
Old 09-12-07, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by wmansir
This season moved so quickly I'm not sure if it plays better on DVD or not. I watched it over a few days on DVD and it was complete overkill. After the 3rd or 4th "largest terrorist attack in US history" was revealed to be nothing but a smoke screen to setup another even bigger attack, it got tiring. and Marwan escaping not once, not twice but 3 times from a CTU "sealed" perimeter was ridiculous.

There were a few bright spots, the early episodes dealing with the SoD's kidnapping were good, as was the terrorist family. And Mandy's return was cool.
Mandy is always welcome back.
Old 09-12-07, 09:26 PM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For some reason, the thing that stands out for me this season is the amount of innocent people who had nothing to do directly with the actual terrorism plot that were killed (I'm talking about actual onscreen or specifically mentioned deaths; I realize other seasons had higher offscreen death tolls): Behrooz's girlfriend, the people at the cafe the hacker worked at, the hacker's mom, the airforce pilot's wife and kids, Mandy's 3 neighbors; there's probably more I'm forgetting.

I've always been mixed on this season. On one hand, when I first saw it, I thought it did a good job of being exciting all the way through, which is something that even the best seasons have struggled with to an extent. I also liked there was one consistent villain throughout the season, rather than "Jack finally captures/kills the bad guy; finds out he was working for someone else".

Problem is, both of those things are responsible for the season's big negative: that it's completely ludicrous as a whole, even by 24 standards. As wmansir pointed out, the constant "this massive terror plot was only a cover for an even bigger terror plot!" and Marwan's numerous escapes really wear out their welcome, especially if you see the entire season in a short period of time on DVD, rather than weekly.

Last edited by sb5; 09-12-07 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-13-07, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
See now when this was aired everyone was just ape shit about "Behrooz on the loose". I too found that whole storyline annoying... probably because the characters were written more like how REAL people would behave while the rest of the characters were behaving like they're in the 24 universe (mostly over the top). And while William Devane was a welcome addition, Audrey was not. The actress just sucked and ruined every scene she was in.

If someone saw the extra scene explaining what happened to Behrooz, can they please post a synopsis here? Obviously it isn't a spoiler since anyone reading this thread has seen the season. Thanks!
Old 09-13-07, 12:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This was easily the worst season of 24 (perhaps made even worse by some people who call it their favorite season?) with season six being the second-worst. The kidnapping of Heller was strong and interesting, even with the Jack Bauer first-person-shooter rescue, but EVERYTHING fell apart after that.

The remote controlled nuclear power plants was the dumbest plot device on the show, and watching Edgar Stiles (the second-worst character introduced that season after Erin Driscoll) feverishly typing away on the keyboard to stop it (as well as cry over his mommy) was just mindnumbingly stupid.

Then you have Habib "Harry Houdini" Marwan who not only can escape from any capture situation without much effort, but he becomes this omnipotent terrorist mastermind who can juggle all these connect-the-dot plots that fall into place perfectly like dominos. The single stealth fighter that can take down Air Force One... just to get ahold of the football was idiotic.

Of course, this season 24 also goes into overdrive with their own plot cliches -- random sniper, workplace bickering taking a greater priority over a TERRORIST THREAT, the obvious mole being a mole, characters they're going after who always conveniently die at the last second, random torture, the moronic "Amnesty Global" plot device used to bring the show to a grinding halt, nonsensical twists/shocking moments for the sake of having them, characters showing up out of nowhere (Tony's surprise return was cool, but he was conveniently that close to the building Jack and Audrey were in?), etc. They also basically gave up on any realistic use of real-time here.

By far the most idiotic one was the private corporation who discover they unintentionally aided terrorists. Unintentionally aided. So what do they feel like they need to do in order to cover it up? Use their own private little army to try and kill Jack by starting a war out in the streets of Los Angeles.

Also, Tzi Ma made a good bad guy (if the one-dimensional, mustache-twirling type) but the Chinese subplot was just another nail in this season's coffin. The way they were allowed into CTU at the drop of the hat was just a sign of the dumb things to come in later seasons. Also, they kidnapped and assaulted government agents on American soil to get to Jack! That right there is a serious offense that should've been dealt with with grave consequences for the Chinese. Instead, in typical 24 fashion, everyone just sort of goes along with it like it was as normal as walking your dog or shopping at the mall.

Anyway, I didn't like this season.
Old 09-13-07, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Legolas

Anyway, I didn't like this season.
But you make it seem better than it was. Four was truly awful, but you still walk away awaiting Jack's triumphant return. Season 6 was so bad you are hoping season 7 opens with Jack waking up from a nightmare.
Old 09-13-07, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
It was a stretch, but overall, I enjoyed Season 4 and the supervillian Marwan.