Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > DVD Bargains
Reload this Page >

Maltese Falcon 3 Disc Sp. Ed. DVD @ FamilyVideo for 17.99 (13.99 if 1st order)

Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-07, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Listed at 17.99 here

Get $5 off with code NEWPGMEM, NWEGWMEM or NEWMEM5F (new member/email) = $12.99

+ $0.99 shipping = $13.98
Old 09-10-07, 05:04 PM

Thanks, punit. I've been meaning to pick this one up.
Old 09-10-07, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ordered a copy this morning. Thanks!
Old 09-11-07, 12:22 AM
kit

Got one...Thanks
Old 09-11-07, 12:29 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In case you missed this deal (like me), Deep Discount has it for $18.20 shipped.
Old 09-11-07, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
The link comes up as...Where Eagles Dare.
Old 09-11-07, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
The link comes up as...Where Eagles Dare.
It was supposed to be the deal of the day...yesterday. Should have mentioned it in the post. Sorry !
Old 09-11-07, 11:11 PM
Banned

Here's another opportunity for those who missed the deal to get Maltese Falcon at a good price.

Look in the Amazon Big Sale thread & go to the movie collections link. It will take you to a page that has many sets on sale including the Humphrey Bogart Signature Collection #2, which is on sale for $29.49. In addition to the 3-disc Maltese Falcon, the set includes Across the Pacific, Action in the North Atlantic, All Through the Night, and Passage To Marseille. That's like paying $18 for The Maltese Falcon (the Family Video price) and then getting 4 other classic Bogart movies for an additional $11.49 (a little less than $3 each).

I've been waiting for some of those sets to come down in price or go on sale.
Old 09-12-07, 12:07 AM

better to buy this as part of the bogart signature collection for $30 at amazon
Old 09-12-07, 05:36 PM

But are the other Bogart movies any good? I've only seen The Maltese Falcon, which I loved, and while I love bargains, I'm past paying for movies I won't watch simply because it's a good deal.
Old 09-12-07, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by blokhed
But are the other Bogart movies any good? I've only seen The Maltese Falcon, which I loved, and while I love bargains, I'm past paying for movies I won't watch simply because it's a good deal.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=24782
Old 09-12-07, 07:18 PM
Banned

Although I'd recommend reading the entire review (very well-written with screencaps included!), the conclusion of the review was that the Bogart Collection Vol. 2 is "an exceptional collection of films" which garnered a DVDTalk Collector's Series rating (highest rating).

Thanks for posting the link to the review, ernestrp!
Old 09-20-07, 03:36 AM

I hopped on this deal since I'd been waiting for a good price on this special edition for a long time (and then a couple of days later regretted I hadn't waited longer when the Amazon sale on the Bogart Collection Volume 2 came along).

Now I really wish I'd waited since my Maltese Falcon DVD set arrived from Family Video with a dented corner and crushed-in side to the box, thanks to the flimsy, useless "padded" envelope they shipped it in (with no interior packing around the DVD box whatsoever - even wrapping the DVD box in newspaper inside the envelope would have helped protect it). A fragile DVD cardboard box simply stands no chance against the Postal Service in this type of packaging.

I sell old and rare books online and do shipping myself everyday.

I consider it my duty to see that an item arrives in the customer's hands in the same condition it was in when I shipped it. I take great care in packing each and every book regardless of the price (one customer even chided me for wasting so much time on the packaging of his $15.00 book - it was packed like "a friggin' Gutenberg Bible" he said - though he didn't intend it as such, it was probably the greatest compliment I've ever received on my shipping).

It always saddens me when I run across a retailer who just tries to ship out things as quickly as possible with no regard to adequately protecting the items from possible damage in shipment.

I'll have to add Family Video to BestBuy.com and FYE.com as online sellers I won't do business with again because of their poor packaging.
Old 09-20-07, 06:39 AM
Cool New Member

For those that have been talking about the Bogart Collection Vol. 2 at amazon, I believe Costco has it for $26.99. So if you have a membership, and Costco isn't too far of a drive, it may be worth it to get it there.
Old 09-20-07, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Autolycus
Now I really wish I'd waited since my Maltese Falcon DVD set arrived from Family Video with a dented corner and crushed-in side to the box, thanks to the flimsy, useless "padded" envelope they shipped it in (with no interior packing around the DVD box whatsoever - even wrapping the DVD box in newspaper inside the envelope would have helped protect it). A fragile DVD cardboard box simply stands no chance against the Postal Service in this type of packaging.
I'm with you there. Fortunately, mine didn't seem to sustain any damage, but what a horribly inadequate envelope! No more ordering from Family Video.