Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The Very Best of Mick Jagger (solo hits) 10/02/07

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live
View Poll Results: Are you buying it?
Glad this isn't another Stones Hits/Live CD. I might have to buy this one.
50.00%
Mick should have stuck with Keith and the rest of the gang.
50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-07, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The earliest track on the album is "Memo From Turner," a raw, R&B burner (showcasing Ry Cooder on slide guitar) that was featured in the seminal 1970 film Performance, in which Jagger also starred. The most recent track, "Old Habits Die Hard," also references Jagger's film career. It originally appeared on the soundtrack (produced by Jagger and former Eurythmic Dave Stewart) of the 2004 film Alfie, and it won a Golden Globe for "Best Original Song."

In between those two peaks, separated by more than three decades, Jagger released four solo albums: She's The Boss (1985), Primitive Cool (1987), Wandering Spirit (1993), and Goddess In The Doorway (2001). Ten selections from those albums appear on THE VERY BEST OF, including "God Gave Me Everything," which Jagger cowrote with Lenny Kravitz; "Joy," on which Bono contributes a guest vocal; "Sweet Thing," the singer's irresistibly sensual 1993 single; and "Evening Gown," a paean to lasting love that closes out this set.

THE VERY BEST OF also includes two dynamic collaborations on Motown songs, a favorite source of material for Jagger over the years. Reggae legend Peter Tosh, one of the founding members of The Wailers, was among the first artists signed to Rolling Stones Records in the late '70s. For Tosh's 1978 album, Bush Doctor, he and Jagger collaborated on a seductive duet on The Temptations' hit, "(You Got to Walk And) Don't Look Back," which was written by Smokey Robinson and Ronald White.

Then, in 1985, Jagger teamed up with David Bowie to scorch Martha & The Vandellas' classic "Dancing in the Street," which was released as a single as part of the Live Aid effort to raise funds for famine relief in Ethiopia. The song went to #1 in England, and the video for it premiered at the Live Aid concert in Philadelphia.

The sizzling "Too Many Cooks (Spoil The Soup)," was produced by John Lennon and recorded by Jagger in 1973 in Los Angeles. The track features an all-star lineup that includes guitarists Danny Kortchmar and Jesse Ed Davis, keyboardist Al Kooper, bassist Jack Bruce, drummer Jim Keltner, and, on background vocals, singer-songwriter Harry Nilsson. It has never previously been released.

The album's two additional previously unreleased tracks are demos from Jagger's Wandering Spirit session with producer Rick Rubin. Jagger had sketched out "Charmed Life" (with his daughter Karis on backing vocals) but then decided the track didn't fit with the rest of the album. The rhythmically charged version on THE VERY BEST OF has been remixed by producer Ashley Beedle. "Taking the bare bones of the song and getting to the finished version with Ashley Beedle was a great creative collaboration," remarks Jagger.

Meanwhile, as they were making Wandering Spirit, Rubin suggested that Jagger spend a day recording with The Red Devils, a torrid L.A. blues band. "The difficult decision I was faced with when listening to the tracks I recorded with the Red Devils, and having to choose only one, reminded me what a great band they were," says Jagger. One of the results of that session is Jagger's previously unreleased rollicking version of Sonny Boy Williamson's "Checkin' Up On My Baby."

A deluxe edition, which includes a bonus DVD featuring a newly filmed interview with Mick, seven videos, an excerpt from the Being Mick documentary, and two performance clips -- one of which is his duet on Saturday Night Live with Peter Tosh, will also be available.

Track Listing for this 17-track collection, which includes 3 previously unreleased songs.
1. God Gave Me Everything
2. Put Me In The Trash
3. Just Another Night
4. Don't Tear Me Up
5. Charmed Life
6. Sweet Thing
7. Old Habits Die Hard
8. Dancing In The Street
9. Too Many Cooks
10. Memo From Turner
11. Lucky In Love
12. Let's Work
13. Joy
14. Don't Call Me Up
15. Checkin' Up On My Baby
16. (You Gotta Walk And) Don't Look Back
17. Evening Gown
Goddess In The Doorway (2001)
Wandering Spirit (1993)
She's The Boss (1985)
Wandering Spirit (1993)
Previously Unreleased
Wandering Spirit (1993)
Alfie soundtrack (2004)
Previously Unavailable on Mick's CD (1985)
Previously Unreleased
Previously Unavailable on Mick's CD (1970)
She's The Boss (1985)
Primitive Cool (1987)
Previously Unreleased
Previously Unavailable on Mick's CD (1978)
Wandering Spirit (1993)
Old 09-09-07, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
love the stones, but don't think his solo stuff does much for me. unless it's $6.99 on release day, i'll pass.
Old 09-10-07, 01:04 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah, even the very best of his work isn't as good as The Stones' weakest albums. I've got Wandering Spirit stashed away somewhere and even that one, considered his best and most consistent solo album, is full of filler.
Old 09-10-07, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts
No "Ruthless People"?
Old 09-10-07, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i really like the song Angel in my Heart - too bad it's not included on this set.
Old 09-10-07, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
His cover of 'Dancing with the Streets' with Bowie, especially the music video it spawned is embarassing.
Old 09-10-07, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Didn't Goddess at the Doorway sell like 1000 copies in England it'\s first week? Wonder what the final sales tally was.
Old 09-10-07, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
No "Kowtow"
Old 09-10-07, 02:15 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by Boba Fett
His cover of 'Dancing with the Streets' with Bowie, especially the music video it spawned is embarassing.
The music video is cringe-inducing, imo -- either way, I'll probably pick this up.
Old 09-10-07, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

shouldn't a solo Jagger Greatest Hits collection just be a one-track promo with Just Another Night?
Old 09-10-07, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bigjim25
The sizzling "Too Many Cooks (Spoil The Soup)," was produced by John Lennon and recorded by Jagger in 1973 in Los Angeles. The track features an all-star lineup that includes guitarists Danny Kortchmar and Jesse Ed Davis, keyboardist Al Kooper, bassist Jack Bruce, drummer Jim Keltner, and, on background vocals, singer-songwriter Harry Nilsson. It has never previously been released.
Wow, I would like to hear this.
Old 09-10-07, 07:40 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
I loved the stuff he did for the movie Alfie with Dave Stewart but I already bought that album used for cheap. I'll try this on a kiosk to see how good it is.
Old 09-10-07, 10:12 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Memo From Turner is a great song, though it's on The Rolling Stones Singles Collection: The London Years, so you can get it there too. Scorsese used it in Goodfellas, too.

Last edited by JasonF; 09-10-07 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-10-07, 11:05 PM
Banned

Why didn't they include STATE OF SHOCK his duet with Micheal Jackson?
I believe it went to number 1 in America.