Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

When wil lDisney re-release Snow White on DVD?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-07, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When will the Disney company next re-release Snow White on the DVD format/ release it on Blu-Ray for the first time?

Hope that the extras will include the pencil test for the Witch at The Cauldron sequence which was on the Laserdisc but NOT on the otherwise excellent Platinum release!!
Old 09-06-07, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't Disney movies get put in the "vault" for ten years, and we just got the new Snow White DVD a couple years ago.
Old 09-06-07, 11:21 PM

The last release actually came out in October 2001 according to Amazon. Ultimate Disney has Snow White rumored to be out in 2009.
Old 09-06-07, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 303 Posts
It probably won't get rereleased until it comes out on Blueray.
Old 09-07-07, 10:57 AM
mxv

I don't really understand their whole concept of "in the vault". All they seem to do is make their products unavailable while the demand doesn't seem to go away. This leads to countless bootlegging/counterfeits and the pirates make a good chunk of change selling their fakes on ebay. All that money could be going into disney's pockets instead.

I mean seriously, if I owned properties as lucrative as Disney, I'd make sure my popular titles were always in print to prevent the bootlegs from cutting into money that I could be making instead.
Old 09-07-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ Can't think of anyone who wants a boot of a Disney item that has been made available at one time. Typical American families are the biggest purchasers of Disney titles and families in general don't buy bootlegs methinks. The second biggest population of purchasers would be collectors who DEFINITELY don't want boots.

Trust me, if they thought it was hurting them, they'd change it.

On that note, I'm betting on probably no return to DVD for Snow White and the others that have gone OOP... I'm betting the next thing is Blu-Ray for these titles, which will go a long way toward helping it win the format war.
Old 09-07-07, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Wasn't the timeframe for "In the Vault" seven years? That would sorta fit with a 2009 rerelease.
Old 09-07-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mxv
I don't really understand their whole concept of "in the vault". All they seem to do is make their products unavailable while the demand doesn't seem to go away.
Putting things "in the vault" increases demand. Just looking at sales stats shows that pretty clearly.

Look at titles that remain in print for a decade vs. titles that are in print for a year, then vaulted, then re-released. Sales for that 2nd group are huge in comparison.

While the concept may seem silly (and would seem to encourage piracy), overall it works. Disney knows what they're doing.
Old 09-07-07, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
...besides, discs go OOP all the time. The only difference is that Disney states upfront that a disc is going OOP while other discs simply seem to just fade away.
Old 09-07-07, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
Wasn't the timeframe for "In the Vault" seven years? That would sorta fit with a 2009 rerelease.
I believe their guidelines for the vault have changed a few times over the years (the re-release of Toy Story 1 & 2 comes to mind). I'm sure that if they think there's immediate profit to be had, they'll change the guidelines again.
Old 09-07-07, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
I don't know, it seems like there are so many ways to find copies now, used as well as boots. I wonder if that designed spike really makes up for six years of lost sales.
Old 09-07-07, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Disney's original plan in 2001 for the Platinum Editions was to have their top 10 best selling titles be released one at a time (one per year) for 10 years. They released Snow White in 2001, Beauty And The Beast in 2002, The Lion King in 2003, and Aladdin in 2004. Sometime before Aladdin came out though, they announced they were changing up their plans and would instead be releasing two PEs per year beginning in 2005, and they added four more titles to their list. Now with 14 titles at 2 per year, they would be on a 7 year cycle instead.
Bottom line is: Snow White should be re-released in the next year or two!

ps: I sure hope Pinocchio is released as a PE next year, as out of the remaining three titles that were added to the list later on, it's the only one that hasn't yet had a previous special release!
Old 09-07-07, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by WMAangel
ps: I sure hope Pinocchio is released as a PE next year, as out of the remaining three titles that were added to the list later on, it's the only one that hasn't yet had a previous special release!
Next year's two releases are 101 Dalmatians and Sleeping Beauty. Apparently they're gonna make us wait until 2009 to get Pinocchio.
Old 09-07-07, 09:55 PM

^ while i'm glad to see sleeping beauty was added to the platinum line (it's arguably my favorite disney animated film...) i don't see why they have to add it this year when they already released a good 2-disc set just a few years back. they should release that as the last of the platinum line, especially since it'd add more time for it in "the vault"
Old 09-08-07, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by souvenir
The last release actually came out in October 2001 according to Amazon.
Damn....time is just flying by so fast....
Old 09-08-07, 12:18 AM

im glad that my personal favorite "the jungle book" is being released on the 2nd of october.
Old 09-08-07, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shyguy1083
^ while i'm glad to see sleeping beauty was added to the platinum line (it's arguably my favorite disney animated film...) i don't see why they have to add it this year when they already released a good 2-disc set just a few years back. they should release that as the last of the platinum line, especially since it'd add more time for it in "the vault"
No shit, my thoughts exactly...I just don't get it, Sleeping Beauty had a perfectly acceptable, damn near Platinum Edition 2 disc special edition release already and much more recently, while poor Pinocchio hasn't seen a quality release yet....just the almost decade old, non-remastered, bare-bones "Limited Issue" disc that was repositioned later as part of the "Gold Collection"....
Old 09-08-07, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, Pinocchio is begging for a special edition of some kind. This is one of the studio's greatest films, and yet it sits OOP with a basically bare bones disc. I have it, but would gladly upgrade.

I also wonder, when the re-release of Snow White comes around, if it will be up to the quality of the original release, which I still think is the best Platinum Disney has done. Disney has a precedent for re-releasing certain SE titles and removing some of the quality extras and replacing them with fluff (think Tarzan)...
Old 09-08-07, 03:00 PM

Sleeping Beauty had a perfectly acceptable, damn near Platinum Edition 2 disc special edition release already and much more recently
Technically it wasn't a platinum release, but a "special edition." You think Disney would miss a chance to re-release it with a slightly better set of extras and a new banner at the top that reads "Platinum Edition" ? Think again...

You're right. It was a great release and I can think of several other titles that deserve equal treatment that still haven't gotten it.
Old 09-09-07, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

But it had a good release and could easily have been dubbed platinum if it just had some additional extras with it. The film transfer itself for Sleeping Beauty was stunning. Why in the heck would I want to dip on that again when I still need a hit like Pinocchio?
Old 10-16-07, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm definitely going to get Pinocchio if it comes out in the Platinum line.
Old 10-16-07, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by mxv
I don't really understand their whole concept of "in the vault". All they seem to do is make their products unavailable while the demand doesn't seem to go away. This leads to countless bootlegging/counterfeits and the pirates make a good chunk of change selling their fakes on ebay. All that money could be going into disney's pockets instead.

I mean seriously, if I owned properties as lucrative as Disney, I'd make sure my popular titles were always in print to prevent the bootlegs from cutting into money that I could be making instead.
Plus it's just not fair to children. Every holiday season I turn down so many parents looking to buy the Disney classics or more modern movies like The Lion King, Beauty & The Beast, etc.

I do believe in the supply & demand theory, but in the end the consumers lose out.
Old 10-16-07, 10:51 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by grim_tales
I'm definitely going to get Pinocchio if it comes out in the Platinum line.
my fingers are crossed they don't tamper with the colours for the Platinum edition.
Old 10-16-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Plus it's just not fair to children. Every holiday season I turn down so many parents looking to buy the Disney classics or more modern movies like The Lion King, Beauty & The Beast, etc.

I do believe in the supply & demand theory, but in the end the consumers lose out.
Those parents are just lazy. It's true the children are let down but that's because of bad parenting. The parents are old enough to know how Disney works, and yet still let the release go without picking it up. They also know where to buy second hand copies of the movie, but obviously don't love their kids enough to do so. So please, don't bash Disney when there's a perfectly good set of parents to blame behind every disappointed child.
Old 10-16-07, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,063 Posts
^^ A little harsh perhaps, but your right. Nowadays with the internet "in the vault" is meaningless. Hell, I'm sure with just a little searching I could find any Disney DVD that's "in the vault".

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.