Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PSP Slim Daxter bundle out now

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-07, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PSP Slim Daxter bundle out now

Apparently, Sony moved the release date of the PSP Slim Daxter bundle up to yesterday. There is a lot of confusion as the new release date hasn't made it to all retailers, but it is available at some stores. Big YMMV, at least for now.

Last edited by Cory02; 09-06-07 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-06-07, 03:20 PM
tpc

I have to admit this is tempting. I had a PSP since launch, and it sat for over a year with no games, because outside of Lumines, I couldn't find much to play. I then sold it to help fund my Xbox 360 purchase. However, I'm a sucker for Kratos, and really want to play the new GOW game
Old 09-06-07, 04:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tpc
However, I'm a sucker for Kratos, and really want to play the new GOW game
I love God of War too. I am not a portable gamer, and I have never owned a portable console. I admit though that if the reviews for the God of War prequel game are good, I just may buy my first portable.

Then, there is also that D&D game that just came out. I am a big D&D nerd. It's like a double whammy. My resistance to portable gaming is faltering.
Old 09-06-07, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
Picked it up today at CC. Had them price match the (questionable) Target sale price seen here . At first they said they couldn't sell it to me. I told them "alright", but then they tracked me down in store and said they could. I got it PMed for $166.99 (110% price guarantee). It looks very nice. I already have Daxter, but I can sell a copy to Game Crazy, I suppose. I'll post impressions of the redesign tonight, hopefully.

Oh, and taffer : in case you missed it : Next week CC is having a buy one, get one 50% off sale on all portable games next week. Won't help with GoW, but that D&D game will end up being cheaper then.
Old 09-06-07, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll probably get one by Christmas just for the ability to output to a TV. There are quite a few games I want to play, but I didn't want to play on a handheld.
Old 09-06-07, 05:41 PM
Banned

I noticed the Daxter bundle PSP has a memory stick and the core PSP doesn't. Do you need a memory stick to save games? I assume UMDs are like CDs/DVDs in that you can't write data to them?
Old 09-06-07, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by taffer
I noticed the Daxter bundle PSP has a memory stick and the core PSP doesn't. Do you need a memory stick to save games? I assume UMDs are like CDs/DVDs in that you can't write data to them?
Yes you do. A super-cheap 32 MB stick would be enough for game saves, but now that 1 GB sticks can be found for under $20, it's a lot easier. The PSP is a great MP3 player and with the right programs, can be a terrific movie viewer. I can get 2 full-length movies on a 1 GB memory stick and they're easily interchangable.

I should add that this new redesign does have some on-board memory, but I believe it's for caching and not for game saves. I could be wrong about that, though (it would be nice to not have to transfer all the game saves from one memory stick to another).
Old 09-06-07, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone actually get it at Target at that $169.99 price? I don't know if its worth trying at CC for a questionable price match.
Old 09-06-07, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by darkside
Anyone actually get it at Target at that $169.99 price? I don't know if its worth trying at CC for a questionable price match.
From what they've been posting at CAG, some have managed it at Target after some arguing (incidentally they have it tagged at $219.99, $20 OVER MSRP). I think it's easier to do at CC where they've got the most liberal PM policy.
Old 09-07-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So, only the silver one is out and about right now?
Old 09-07-07, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like the idea of this new thinner PSP, but I really thought they would do a REAL redesign. Although, I currently use my PSP as an MP3 player exclusively at work. I haven't played a game in a long time (except a few demos).
Old 09-07-07, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I tried last night and couldn't get Target or CC to honor the $169.99 price. Now it is off the Target site completely.

I did check one out at EB and I really don't like the redesign. It kind of feels cheap now especially that UMD slot. I also hated the look of the silver one. Way too sparkly.

I may wait it out and see if the original version gets discounted and grab one of those.
Old 09-07-07, 02:31 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone know when the release date for psp slim is in Canada
Old 09-08-07, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I ended up getting the Daxter Bundle today. I got a 10%off thing from Target in the mail and figured it was worth $179.99 for the bundle.

I still don't like the sparkly look or the UMD drawer but I will have to get used to it. I do like the feel of the buttons and the size and weight are really nice.

My biggest amazement is the fact my screen seems perfect. I haven't found a stuck or dead pixel yet.

I also bought a 4GB stick from CompUSA for $50 (probably could have found a better deal shopping around, but that was a pretty good in store price) and Jeanne D'arc.

Next I'm going to see if I can find one of those extended life batteries and the replacement battery cover. I know it makes the back bulge out, but I plan to use this mostly for multimedia and will need the battery life.
Old 09-08-07, 03:50 PM

I ended up getting the Daxter Bundle today. I got a 10%off thing from Target in the mail and figured it was worth $179.99 for the bundle.

I still don't like the sparkly look or the UMD drawer but I will have to get used to it. I do like the feel of the buttons and the size and weight are really nice.

My biggest amazement is the fact my screen seems perfect. I haven't found a stuck or dead pixel yet.

I also bought a 4GB stick from CompUSA for $50 (probably could have found a better deal shopping around, but that was a pretty good in store price) and Jeanne D'arc.

Next I'm going to see if I can find one of those extended life batteries and the replacement battery cover. I know it makes the back bulge out, but I plan to use this mostly for multimedia and will need the battery life.
Just thought you should know that starting tomorrow, Circuit City will be having buy 1 get 1 50% off ALL handheld games. It might be worth your while to return Jd'A now and buy it at CC tomorrow.

And I don't really find the unit that sparkley. Not crazy about the UMD drawer but I guess it works. Sucks that there are several accessories that I'll not be able to use anymore. I'm resorting to using the old clothe sleeve to keep it in; it won't fit in my Logitech anymore.
Old 09-08-07, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't even opened it yet.

The glitter only stands out in certain light. When I looked at it under the bright store lights it really bugged me, but it is not bad in regular light.

Now I have to catch up on games. I haven't owned a PSP since the first GTA game came out. I'm going to focus on RPGs first.

Sony Style seems to be the only place that sells the extended life battery. I can't find any info on getting the replacement battery cover so I will hold off on ordering one until Sony announces something. With USB charging an option I may be fine with the battery it comes with anyway.

The remote play option is pretty cool BTW. I don't know if I would want to leave my PS3 on while out all the time, but I can see this being handy at times. I also forgot this thing had a built in RSS reader so updating podcasts on the go is an option as well.
Old 09-08-07, 05:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Decker
Just thought you should know that starting tomorrow, Circuit City will be having buy 1 get 1 50% off ALL handheld games. It might be worth your while to return Jd'A now and buy it at CC tomorrow.
Seriously? Fuck, that may just put me over the edge to buy one of these things. Are they available at all retailers now?
Old 09-08-07, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Seriously? Fuck, that may just put me over the edge to buy one of these things. Are they available at all retailers now?
Apparently. Release date is 9/10 so either way, you'd be in fine shape.

I've got a lot of games already but will pick up Jd'A and another game tomorrow (probably Crush or Dead Head Fred). For those who plan to head over to CC tomorrow, you might consider getting Socom Fire Team Bravo 2. It's definately on sale for $13.99 this week (though today), but checking on their website, it's showing $19.99. Anyway, I haven't played this yet, but it's supposed to be pretty good.
Old 09-08-07, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Target didn't want to sell it to me at first saying it wasn't supposed to be sold until tomorrow. However, I told them it was listed as available in stores on the website and they gave in.

I think by tomorrow it should be out and easy to find.
Old 09-08-07, 07:43 PM

FYI

psp av component cable for $19.99 @ frys.com shows as in stock too

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/535...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

looks like amazon has it too for $14.99 but wont ship for another month or so

Last edited by ktown; 09-08-07 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-08-07, 09:24 PM
Banned by request

Target didn't want to sell it to me at first saying it wasn't supposed to be sold until tomorrow. However, I told them it was listed as available in stores on the website and they gave in.

I think by tomorrow it should be out and easy to find.
I tried several local places on my way to work and none of them would sell it to me. I will still go to CC tomorrow to get that deal on the software in anticipation of getting the system. My friend actually has his PSP at my place right now, so I'll be able to play them even if it takes me a few days to get the system itself.
Old 09-09-07, 03:48 PM
Banned by request

So today my local Circuit City had them in stock. Refused to pricematch the online Target price, oh well. The really bad news is that they had pretty much no good games for the buy one, get one half off deal. I only got Crush and Hotel Dusk for the DS. The only other game they had that I wanted was Ratchet and Clank for the PSP, but it was more expensive than the others, and I couldn't find a fourth game to get with it.

As for the system itself, it feels a little flimsy in comparison to the old design. But I like the silver design and it doesn't weigh down the hands as much. Overall, I like it. Now if only I can get the damn thing to find the IP address of my internet connection so I can do remote play, I'd be even more happy.

Oh, one annoying thing is that Sony has packaged Daxter and the Family Guy collection in those shitty little cardboard sleeves. Show a little class, will ya, Sony?

Edit: Okay, after futzing around I got the remote play to work with my PS3, and found to my annoyance that I can't use the PS1 games downloaded from the PS store on the PSP via remote play. Then, to my relief, I discovered I can actually copy the games directly onto the PSP via USB, which is infinitely preferable to me. Yay for PS3/PSP connectivity!

Last edited by Supermallet; 09-09-07 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-09-07, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, I totally forgot I could buy games for it for $5.99 on PSN. I'll have to check that out today.

I had a frustrating experience at CC because the computer did not do the 50% off automatically at the store I went to and the employees had no math ability to do it themselves. I picked up Crush and Jeanne D'arc and they figured half of $29.99 as $15.99. I corrected them and got the extra dollar off. I also picked up Sid Meier's Pirates for PSP out of the clearance bin for $11.35 and picked up a $12.99 GBA game for my daughter. They gave me the half off the GBA title and figured half of $12.99 to be $5.49. I did not correct them this time.

I also stopped by Gamestop and picked up some of the cheap used titles. Got Me & My Katamari, PoPoLoCrois and Hot Shots Golf. All of a sudden I have a real collection of PSP games. I still want the Metal Gear Digital Comic but that looks long out of print. My have to Ebay that one.
Old 09-09-07, 05:35 PM
Banned by request

Yeah, the 1/2 off deal didn't show up for me, either, and the lady tried to convince me it was only on the titles listed in the ad. After they refused my price match, I just about took her head off when she tried that one on me.

Playing around with it, I'm really liking how much lighter the system is. I also like the various media playback options.

As for the PS1 games, it's really cool to have them at your fingertips, but be wary of their size. I put 3 on there and that basically wiped out my 1 GB stick. I don't use my PSP for movies or music, but if I did, those games would be a serious drag. I'm going to have to take a look and see what kind of accessory options are available for the slimmer systems now.
Old 09-09-07, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I picked up a 4GB stick for music and movies so I'm liking the idea of using the 1GB for the PSN titles.

No accessories to be found yet. I'm using an old case logic case that fits the PSP pretty much perfectly and has a back pocket to hold a few UMDs. Hoping for something official soon and I also want the TV out cable. Even GameStop had yet to receive accessories.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.