Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

80's flashback moment (Party All The Time and Back In America)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-07, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured I would give a little homage to a couple songs I just never hear anymore.

I stumbled across the Party All The Time video by Eddie Murphy the other day. I know that this song is beyond cheesy. And nowadays i see alot of backlash toward this song. Winning razzies awards etc. So i guess im in the minority when i say i like this song. Maybe because it's so cheesy and dated that it's great. It's dancable and god forbid you get the chorus stuck in your head.
Or perhaps just watching the video when Eddie walks in the room in the beginning like he's Rocky Balboa stepping into the ring makes me chuckle. It's also funny how everyone in the audience are watching so seriously like the next Michael Jackson is discovered. The irony is when this was released. Yes I guess i'm that old. It was a huge hit. Everywhere i turned, that damn song was playing.
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m5LX16zia2k"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m5LX16zia2k" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Back In America which played during the ending credits of National Lampoon's European Vacation. I always loved this song. And I still can't believe this was not part of a release weither on the soundtrack or the group(Le Roux or Network) To me this song along with the credits just defines the 80's for me.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NHOhBjnSU0c"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NHOhBjnSU0c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

So there you have it, a rare flashback to a couple of 80's songs i just don't hear anymore. Enjoy.

Last edited by Rainet; 09-04-07 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-04-07, 10:40 PM

Party All the Time, man that song takes me back to when I was a little kid and my mom and I use to sing a long to pop songs on the radio. Your right it is funny, that song a got a ton of radio play, and now its probably about as easy to find as a copy of Beverly Hills Cop III
Old 09-06-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Growing up in the 80's and still being a huge 80's music fan both of these songs get quite a bit of play on my iPod's, Both of them sound as good today as they did to me 20 or 25 years ago, These songs also remind me of some other great 80's tunes like Don Johnson's "Heartbeat" or early Michael Bolton "Everbody's Crazy", which also get played quite a bit from me, actually michael bolton's album everybody's crazy gets alot of play, i just love the 80's sounds like the keyboards, drum machine's & saxophones mixed along with the electric guitar's, Rick Springfield was also very well known for using all those sounds, big fan of rick's pop/rock stuff also.

Last edited by johnbook; 09-06-07 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-06-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
One of my favorite forgotten 80's tunes is - The Kings "Switchin' To Glide"

Lost 80's tunes might be a fun thread.
Old 09-06-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by parrotheads4
One of my favorite forgotten 80's tunes is - The Kings "Switchin' To Glide"

Lost 80's tunes might be a fun thread.
The Beat Goes On/Switchin To Glide...(I bought that album from iTunes awhile back)

Other 80's fav's of mine.

B-Movie - "Nowhere Girl"
Jim Carroll Band - "People Who Died"
The Nails - 88 Lines About 44 Women
Thomas Dolby - Europa and the Pirate Twins

plus about 80000 others
Old 09-06-07, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
The 80's was host to some of the most varied music ever. You still had the 70's rock bands puting out albums, New Wave, Heavy Metal, Hair bands, Techno, etc. I once considered the 80's one of the poorest decades for music, but now that I think about it it may have been the richest.
Old 09-12-07, 03:23 PM

<object width="425" height="353"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GCt4V_0IUfM"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GCt4V_0IUfM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="353"></embed></object>
Old 09-15-07, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know where to get that song?(Back in America)
Old 09-15-07, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
If you go on YouTube and do a search for "Luiscmck80x" you will find a ton of 80's videos with decent sound.
Old 09-16-07, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts
"Party All The Time" is a kickass guilty pleasure. I was in 7th grade at the time and if I hear this song along with Thompson Twins' "Lay Your Hands On Me" and Starship's "We Built This City" together, it's like I just go straight back to that point in my life.

Unfortunately my 18 year old cousin was killed in a car accident at the same time. I can remember listening to the radio the whole time on my Walkman just to get away from those terrible days. I didn't entirely comprehend the magnitude of it all at that time. Those 3 songs seemed to be played on the radio constantly from September to December of '85.

There are times when a certain artist in Hollywood can do no wrong at a certain point in their career. Eddie Murphy was in the middle of one of those times in 1985. I love that song and have never been ashamed to admit it.

Back To America does nothing for me though. I barely remember it and have no memory of it playing on the radio.