Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Router Recommendations for use w/Time Warner?

aktick
09-03-07, 10:02 AM
My brother needs a router for use with Time Warner cable internet (Road Runner? How is it, BTW? Is that what you have, Chew?)...he'll have his laptop connected wirelessly, but should be able to be hard wired for his 360, Wii (or does that have to be wireless?), and Slingbox.

The Linksys 54g models seem to be recommended a lot, but Buffalo also seems to come with high praise. What would you recommend? If they have something for a decent price at BB, I'd like to pick one up today with my 12% off coupon. I see the 54g is $50, 54gs is $70 (sounds like this is not worth the extra $20?)

They also have a Buffalo WHR-G125 (here (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8386622&type=product&id=1179876185677) )......for $50, is it a better bet than the Linksys?

Thanks for any advice.

Chew
09-04-07, 07:11 AM
Sorry, guess this is a day late for that BB coup. But, I do have Road Runner. I don't know if this is just NE Wisconsin, but our download speed was just increased from 5mb to 7mb.

I've been using the Linksys WRT54GS since I had RR installed.

About once every six months or so, I do have to recycle the router and modem. But, I expect that's a modem issue and not the router.

Other than that, I have no complaints. I have two TiVos and a laptop that connect wirelessly. I'll soon be adding a PS3 to that. And, of course, my desktop is hardwired.

emoxley
09-04-07, 07:58 AM
Time Warner will supply the router, and network your house for free. At least, they did ours. They used a Netgear router, and it has worked just fine.
Enjoy the fast speeds........... :)

Chew
09-04-07, 09:06 AM
Last time I checked, my Time Warner charges you extra per month for wireless. No doubt a "rental fee" for the router.

Chew
09-04-07, 09:56 AM
No, I don't think the 54GS Speedboost is worth the extra $20. In fact, I've read where some wireless devices may actually have issues with this "non-standard" Speedboost.

While I'm sure TWC builds in a modem rental charge into their standard monthly fee, there is no extra charge beyond the posted rates.

Goldberg74
09-04-07, 10:16 AM
I've got a Belkin Wireless G router and it works great with RR in SA (and I run three wired computers, two wireless computers, my Wii, and my DS Lite).