Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Immortal Beloved' (Blu-ray)

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 09-01-07, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Adam Tyner's DVD review of Immortal Beloved at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=29451 and...

I just purchased Immortal Beloved BD which only has Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Surround (48kHz / 3.0 Mbps).

My surround processor is a Sony SDP-EP9ES and is an old Dolby Digital processor and does not have analog in nor does it have HDMI in. My processor only has optical in and coax in.

I have a PS3 backordered so I cannot test it out yet but...I searched and read in another NIN BD thread that the BD NIN disc has an embedded Dolby Digital 5.1 track that PS3 was able to output via optical.

My question is does Immortal Beloved behave the same? Is there any way to listen to the soundtrack if I do not have a processor with HDMI or 5.1 analog in?
Old 09-01-07, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,221 Posts
Originally Posted by quack724
My question is does Immortal Beloved behave the same? Is there any way to listen to the soundtrack if I do not have a processor with HDMI or 5.1 analog in?
You definitely shouldn't have any problems with the PS3. Worst case scenario, the console will decode the TrueHD track internally and output a downsampled version over optical as it would with a traditional PCM soundtrack.

I believe all Blu-ray players have a way of falling back on Dolby Digital if there's a TrueHD soundtrack on the disc, but the PS3 is definitely safe.
Old 09-02-07, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adam, thank you for the clarification. And thanks for the great Immortal Beloved review. It's one of my favorite films and I'm glad it got a favorable review.
Old 09-02-07, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,221 Posts
Thanks for the kind words! I appreciate it.