Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Rank the "Halloween" flicks..

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Top 3 Halloween flicks..?
Halloween [1978]
92.44%
Halloween II [1981]
68.07%
Halloween III: Season Of the Witch [1982]
20.17%
Halloween 4: the Return Of Michael Myers [1988]
38.66%
Halloween 5: Revenge Of Michael Myers [1989]
8.40%
Halloween: Curse Of Michael Myers [1995]
6.72%
Halloween H20: 20 Years Later [1998]
25.21%
Halloween: Resurrection [2002]
4.20%
Rob Zombie's "Halloween" [2007]
20.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-07, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doing a search resulted with THIS nasty 'lil thread that was eventually locked.

So...in the spirit of washing the abomination that is Rob Zombie's (White Trash) Halloween out of our heads, pick your top three on the poll (please, only three) and if you have time, give your thoughts about the three you picked. Or heck, while you're at it, talk about those you didn't pick and why you didn't pick 'em.

For me, number one is obviously the first Halloween. Minimalism at its finest and it was scary without having to be brutal.

The second would be Halloween II. Who would've thunk that there was more of "the Night He Came Home"? I suppose that the people who, like Zombie, needed everything explained and overanalyzed, would appreciate this flick because it answers the question of exactly why Mikey sought out Laurie. I also enjoyed it because it was one of the few movies my Grandmother took me to see (she loved Horror flicks too).

I'm going to cheat with number three (because this is my thread and I can ) and declare a tie between Halloween III and H20. (Well, because I can and also because III has nothing to do with Mike).

I enjoyed III because it was something different and when I was a kid, the idea that wearing a Halloween mask with a computer chip that contained a piece of Stonehenge while watching a blinking pumpkin on the TV screen and hearing that annoying song, would cause the insect and reptile kingdom to flow out of my head was just way too cool.

H20 was enjoyable:
  1. because Jamie was back.
  2. because it totally ignored parts 4, 5 & 6.
  3. because of that kickass ending [oh, how I wish it was the end ]
I don't really think much of (or about) parts 4, 5 & 6. The fact that part 5 features Michael chasing Jamie in a car...let me say that again...Michael Fuckin' Myers chases around a twelve year-old in a car...which has got to be one of the most moments in the series (I haven't seen Resurrection at all, so I can't talk about his kung-fu duel to the death with Busta). I will say that I thought the "man with the black hat" thing in part 5 was kinda cool. If only because it just ended and you had no fucking idea who he was...at least until part 6..
Old 09-01-07, 01:31 AM
Banned

I actually think part 6 was pretty good even if the ending was rather weak.
H20 barely seems like a movie because it feels like it lasts 20 minutes long.
Part 3 is terrible.
Old 09-01-07, 02:46 AM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1, 2, 3.
I love Halloween III, it's the classic "mad scientist" movie. He wants to destroy the world for no particular reason.
Old 09-01-07, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
I haven't seen Resurrection at all, so I can't talk about his kung-fu duel to the death with Busta
I wish I could make that statement. I kinda liked Resurrection and didn't mind Busta's character until the fight scene in the end....I rank it near the bottom of the list just for that.
Old 09-01-07, 04:01 AM
Suspended

I liked Halloween 4, 5, and 6 the best. The original was good, but it was not scary. I kept waiting for Jamie Lee Curitis to get naked and she never did. Halloween 3 sucked big time. Halloween II was good and scary, very scary. Empty hospitals scare me. Halloween Resurection was not very good, but fans of the series will want to see it. I had highest hopes for Halloween H2O but it was a little bit of a let down.

Best: Halloween 2,4,5,6.

Good: Halloween

Bad: Halloween Resurection, Halloween H20, Halloween III.
Old 09-01-07, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just counting the Myers films...

1. Halloween
2. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers

3. Halloween II
4. Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers - Producer's Cut
5. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers

6. Halloween H20: Twenty Years Later
7. Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers - Theatrical Cut
8. Halloween: Resurrection

9. Rob Zombie's Halloween
Old 09-01-07, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I voted Halloween, Halloween II, and RZ's Halloween.

The first Halloween is amazing and will always be amazing. It is the greatest horror film of all time.

Halloween II continues that story. Not as good as the first one at all but how could you not want a continuation of that story.

Honestly, I've never seen part III. I just never even felt the need to watch it. It never interested me in the fact that it has nothing to do with parts 1 & 2 and that bugged me.

Halloween parts 4, 5, 6, H20, and Resurrection are all pretty bad movies. 4, 5, and 6 were just awful. I've only seen them once each and honestly could not tell them apart. I know I have seen them but It was years ago and they all kinda seemed like really generic, awful movies to me. I know that two of them have the whole story with Michaels niece and that really bugged the crap out of me. H20 wasn't as bad as 4, 5, and 6 but that's not saying much. I remember seeing it at the theater and thinking it was really cool. I saw it for the first time since then about a couple of months ago and found that it really wasn't all that good and it was 5 minutes long.

Halloween Resurrection, I didn't even finish and I didn't think I had to.

RZ's Halloween was interesting. While I never had the hate from the very beginning that most people here did, and they did, I understand why people didn't like it. And honestly, I think that most people are saying this one is such an "abomination" because of all the shit this movie took from the first announcement. People really hated this idea, for whatever reason, and no matter how the film turned out they were going to bash it as hard as they could. I really never understood this hatred, without seeing it first. It's just a remake and as I've said before, It does not make the original go away at all. And now that the movie is out, the original is still right where it was before.

The first hour or so was ok. It was kind of interesting to see where Michael came from. It got kinda old fast though and the young Michael stuff kinda got tired but the concept was alright. But, when it got into Haddonfield, I really loved it. I mean the music was there, Michael was there, the feeling was there. Honestly, it felt like the first time I watched the original film. Granted it was not as well done but the feeling was still there for me. I think what would've helped the movie is if the young Michael stuff had been shaved back to about 15 minutes. Then the bulk of the film could've been the Haddonfield stuff. And also if...
Spoiler:
it would've ended while Loomis and Laurie were in the car together after Loomis shot Michael in the pool.

I liked RZ's revision. And I think that's because I knew it would be drastically different and wasn't bashing it from minute one. I thought it was a good companion piece to the original.

Flame on.
Old 09-01-07, 05:09 AM

I like Halloween 3 a lot, but I am not going to count it as it is its own thing. I am just rating Michael movies here..

My list..

1. Halloween
2. Halloween 2
3. Rob Zombie's Halloween
4. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
5. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers

Drop in Affections

6. Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers
7. Halloween H20: Twenty Years Later

HUGE DROP IN AFFECTIONS

Last edited by onebyone; 09-01-07 at 05:13 AM.
Old 09-01-07, 06:21 AM

1) Halloween
2) Halloween II
3) Halloween 4: Return of Michael Myers
4) Halloween H20
5) Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
6) Halloween 6: Halloween: Resurrection
7) Halloween 6: Curse of Michael Myers
8) Zombie's Halloween
Old 09-01-07, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In order
Halloween [1978]
Halloween II [1981]
Halloween H20: 20 Years Later [1998]
Halloween 4: the Return Of Michael Myers [1988]
Halloween 5: Revenge Of Michael Myers [1989]

Not included because they're too terrible to even mention
Halloween III: Season Of the Witch [1982]
Halloween: Curse Of Michael Myers [1995]
Halloween: Resurrection [2002]
Old 09-01-07, 08:07 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'd say 1, 2, 3. The first 40 or so minutes of the original are absolutely incredible. Laurie walking through town, Pleasance searching the town, and Michael stalking the town. The choreography and sense of tension are impeccable. Once Michael starts killing people, it starts to get boring. Once he goes after Laurie, it just gets stupid. Yes, I said it. The climax and denouement of the original Halloween are just badly done. I liked it when Michael was a relentless, uncontrollable killer. I didn't like it when it turned out he was immortal or whatever the fuck Carpenter intended. I know some people consider this the holy grail of horror, but I think Carpenter did much better later, especially with The Thing. Also, it's responsible for popularizing the slasher genre which gives us practically every horror cliche we know, so I'm not crazy about its legendary status.

The second film pretty much rode the coattails of the first, but had enough decent jumps in it to make it worthwhile. It really only gets the nod because everything else in the series is crap.

And that includes 3. While I don't find 3 very watchable, it actually had some interesting (or, if you're less generous, absurd) ideas and at least tried to get the series back to Carpenter's original idea of the Halloween movies being like an anthology of short stories, each one different. Think of how great the series could have been if they got good writers and directors to come up with new and interesting stories. Of course, 3 didn't actually have good writing, directing, or acting, which killed the concept for any future Halloweens, but it would have been nice.

4, 5, and 6 are abominations. H2O tried to get things back on track, but the Shape was used up by the end of the second film (if not the first), so to do yet another slasher is just boring. Resurrection might be even worse than 5 and 6.

I have yet to see Zombie's Halloween, but after reading Brian Orndorf's even-handed and non-reactionary review, I'm eager to catch it, and will do so after work on Monday.
Old 09-01-07, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My order:

-Halloween (78)
-Halloween II
-Haloween: H20
-Halloween 4
-RZ's Halloween
-Halloween 5
-Halloween: Resurrection
-Halloween: Curse of Michael Myers

*Halloween 3: Season of the Witch is exclude because its a non Myers films.
Old 09-01-07, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1. Halloween (1978)
2. Halloween II
3. Halloween III
4. Halloween 4
5. Rob Zombie's Halloween

The rest are absolute garbage
Old 09-01-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
H1
H4
H2
H3

Thats it. Havn't seen the remake yet.last one was beyond terrible.
Old 09-01-07, 11:15 AM

1. Halloween (1978)
2. Halloween II (1981)
3. Halloween H20: 20 Years Later (1998)
4. Halloween 5: Revenge of Michael Myers (1989)
5. Halloween 4: the Return of Michael Myers (1988)
6. Halloween: Curse of Michael Myers (1995)
7. Halloween: Resurrection (2002)
8. Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)

Haven’t seen Rob Zombie’s, Halloween “re imagining” version but I’m sure it will be the worst. Have too wait ti’ll the DVD comes out & than I’ll see it (don’t go to theatres anymore, just buy DVDs).

Honestly only the first two Halloween films were actually good, the rest I just had too think about which one was less terrible than the other. Next to the Pinhead (Hellraiser) franchise, Halloween has some of the worst sequels in the history of the horror genre.

Halloween III: Season of the Witch, It might be popular here at DVD Talk but I thought it was absolutely awful, no matter if it had Myers in it or not.
Old 09-01-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
1. Halloween (1978)
2. Halloween II
3. Halloween 4
4. Halloween (2007) (workprint)
5. Halloween: H20
6. Halloween 6
7. Halloween 5

- Halloween (2007) (theatrical)

I've always considered Halloween III to be John Carpenter's Season of the Witch, so I won't rank it here.

I haven't seen the theatrical cut of Zombie's Halloween yet, so once I do I'll place it where I think it goes.
Old 09-01-07, 12:58 PM

My favorites are: Halloween, Halloween II, Halloween 4 (underrated, IMO), Halloween H20, Halloween 5, Halloween 6, Halloween: Resurrection, and Halloween 3.

Seeing Rob Zombie's remake today.
Old 09-01-07, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
I've always considered Halloween III to be John Carpenter's Season of the Witch, so I won't rank it here.
Don't you mean Tommy Lee Wallace's Season of the Witch?

1. Halloween
2. Halloween II
3. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
4. Halloween H20: Twenty Years Later
5. Halloween 5
6. Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers
7. Halloween: Resurrection
8. Halloween III: Season of the Witch

I'll wait for the remake when it comes out for rental, but word of mouth isn't good at all.
Old 09-02-07, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1) Halloween (no duh.)
2) Rob Zombie's Halloween (stop reminding yourself its a remake and look at its own merrits)
3) 4 Return of (best of the sequels, greatest ending, should have ended series there)
4) 2 (still classic)
5) H20 (highly overated, to hip for its own good, JLC had too much control, why did Laurie abandon her daughter anyway? )
6) 5 Revenge of (not great but the ending was cool)
7) 6 Curse of (only served the purpose of explaining the end of 5, the return of Tommy Doyle was kind of cool)
8) Ressurection (complete mess, beginning was the worst explaination in history)
Old 09-02-07, 01:04 AM
Banned

The only good about HALLOWEEN 3 is the cool trailer which makes look like a scary movie.
Old 09-02-07, 07:01 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm going to have to retract my earlier post and put Rob Zombie's Halloween at number one with a bullet, than the original and number two as the second best two, but both not nearly as good as Zombie's.
Old 09-02-07, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Halloween: ****
Halloween II: ***
Halloween III: Season of the Witch: **
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers: **1/2
Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers: **1/2
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers: [no stars]
Halloween H20: Twenty Years Later: ***
Halloween: Resurrection: **

Halloween I, II and H20 make a cohesive trilogy, although I don't think H20 is as good as its rep -- it's just solid. Had Donald Pleasance lived to be in it, then I think it could have been great, because Donald Pleasance is awesome. Of course, he couldn't save six, which was just horrendously bad, mainly due to atrocious writing and directing.

Halloween III I thought could be really cool but the pacing was just too slow and the plot not goofy enough (i.e. plenty goofy, just all unintentional). The ending was kind of awesome though. People seem to like Halloween 4 more than Halloween 5, but Halloween 4 feels like a TV movie to me or something. Not that Halloween 5 is anything special. Halloween: Resurrection was at once better than I expected but also pretty pointless and lame.

Spoiler:
Boo to them killing Jamie Lee Curtis. Boo to them killing Danielle Harris. Sometimes horror movie heroes deserve to live and be left alone, methinks, and there was too much good closure for both of them for them to deserve to be screwed over.
Old 09-02-07, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts
Rob Zombie's Halloween
Halloween '78
Halloween II
Halloween 4: the Return Of Michael Myers
Halloween H20: 20 Years Later
Halloween: Curse Of Michael Myers
Halloween 5: Revenge Of Michael Myers
Halloween III: Season Of the Witch
Halloween: Resurrection
Old 09-02-07, 11:10 PM

In order (maybe not exactly, but what came to mind):

Halloween
Halloween 6 (Producer's Cut)
Halloween 4 (mainly due to that it's the first one I saw, and the one that was popular during my youth)
Halloween 2
Rob Zombie's Halloween

------------------------

Halloween 5 (pretty bad, but has a few nicely done scenes)
Halloween: H20 (technically, probably one of the best, but I just never liked it from the day I saw it theatrically)
Halloween 6: Theatrical cut
Halloween: Resurrection
Old 09-02-07, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1,2,3. 3 just because its different and has the silver shamrock song.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.