Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Any home remedies for a massive toothache?

Quake1028
08-30-07, 12:51 AM
So, I have a cracked tooth that I put off fixing for too long. Now I think it's infected. I have a dentist appointment tomorrow morning at 10, but right now I am in AGONY. Tylenol no longer even takes the edge off, so that's why I'm pretty sure it's infected. I tried Orajel, rubbing whiskey on my gums, etc., but nothing is working. Short of going to the emergency room and spending $$$$$, can anyone tell me anything to get through the night?

TomOpus
08-30-07, 01:01 AM
Unless you have some Vicodin (which is what my dentist gave me for an infection along with antibiotics) don't know if the regular stuff will help.

I feel for you. I've been there....

Quake1028
08-30-07, 01:11 AM
Yeah, I finally got something a little better. I live with my gf and her mom, and her mom's best friend lives two houses down. She found some Tylenol with Codeine from an operation a while back. Hopefully that will get me through the night. I fully expect them to send me off with antibiotics and Vicodin tomorrow.

Jason1
08-30-07, 01:12 AM
The only pain killer that works for me is advil. Tylenol is a joke.

Quake1028
08-30-07, 01:13 AM
The only pain killer that works for me is advil. Tylenol is a joke.

I normally agree, but for some reason Tylenol extra strength was working better for me in this case than the Advil liqui-gels.

Artman
08-30-07, 01:19 AM
Motrin always works for me.

wewantflair
08-30-07, 01:32 AM
Drop a bowling ball on your toe.

devilshalo
08-30-07, 01:34 AM
Oddly enough, I found chewing on ice to help a bit and I brushed my teeth like 50 times a day.

Quake1028
08-30-07, 01:42 AM
Oddly enough, I found chewing on ice to help a bit and I brushed my teeth like 50 times a day.

I am brushing my teeth about 10 times a day. Chewing ice would be death to me though :lol:.

Rogue588
08-30-07, 02:01 AM
Aleve.

I've also heard a Red Sox sweep could ease some mild discomfort...:D ;)

MonkeyG
08-30-07, 02:16 AM
Ice pack against the side of your mouth or ice pack on the web of your hand between the thumb and forefinger. I kid you not, has to do with pressure points. Doesn't hurt to try, seemed to work for me when I had a badly infected tooth.

Mole177
08-30-07, 03:41 AM
the miracles of fence pliers!
http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/64/07/22620764.jpg

Charlie Goose
08-30-07, 08:35 AM
Oil of clove. I learned that from The Marathon Man.

Brian Shannon
08-30-07, 08:40 AM
http://www.endodovgan.com/images/cocaine-toothache.gif

rw2516
08-30-07, 09:29 AM
Had a toothache over a holiday weekend once. Couldn't get it yanked till following tuesday. I tried everything and nothing worked. By sunday I would have told the nazis the normandy invasion plans if it would make the ache go away. If monday had not been a holiday, I would have found the nearest meat packing plant(they were probably all closed) and clawed my way, over condemned swine and bovine, to the front of the kill line for the blissful embrace of of a steam powered jackhammer to the skull to end my misery. In my expierence, once you hit the 24/7 non-stop high octane point nothing works. Broke the world land speed record getting to the dentist on tuesday. Maybe the air speed record also, all fours tire left the ground several times.
Nothing on heaven or earth can compare to the ecstasy of a shot of novacaine to the gums when you have a toothache.

RunBandoRun
08-30-07, 09:38 AM
I had a toothache the day my mother died in 2004. I went to the dentist the very next day and he put a temporary crown on it. Then I got in my car to drive from Kansas to Michigan for her funeral. On the way there, I started "feeling" the tooth, and by the time I got there I was in agony. My dad took me to the ER, but of course all they could do was give me a shot of Demerol. One of my brothers in town called his own dentist, who (God bless him forever) opened up his office for me at 10:30 at night, then removed the temporary crown to drain the infection out. My dad said when the crown came off, pus shot halfway across the room (sorry, I know, gross). I got through the funeral (I sang the solo) and drove back to Kansas, where all the pus that had run down my throat then gave me a horrible infection. My mom's second funeral (in Kansas, where she'd grown up) was held two weeks after the Michigan one. I sang at the Kansas one, too, so I was really worried that my throat wouldn't clear up in time, but it did.

And the tooth? My dentist talked me into trying the temporary crown again, but it flared up and I had an oral surgeon just pull the damn thing.

I hope you got along last night okay. I sure feel for you. :(

TGM
08-30-07, 12:57 PM
http://boles.com/called/sw357.jpg

dick_grayson
08-30-07, 01:00 PM
glass of ice water

jonw9
08-30-07, 01:06 PM
glass of ice water

That is what I did when I had a tooth ache that wouldn't quit. A brief intnense pain followed by a period or relief. (I think there was a thread like this before?) But anyway, I personally think it overloaded the nerves so they "shut-off" for a bit.

Ranger
08-30-07, 01:17 PM
I see a few different drugs named. Personally, I would stick with tylenol and not mix it with anything for now. I remember cript28 commenting on the differences a while back so I went ahead and looked them up on wiki and kept some notes.
Aspirin (generic name) - Bayer, Ecotrin.
often used as an analgesic (against minor pains and aches), antipyretic (against fever), and anti-inflammatory. It has also an antiplatelet (“blood-thinning”) effect and is used in long-term low-doses to prevent heart attacks and cancer.

Ibuprofen - Motrin, Advil
is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). It is used for relief of symptoms of arthritis, primary dysmenorrhoea, fever, and as an analgesic, especially where there is an inflammatory component.

Naproxen - Aleve, Naprosyn
is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) commonly used for the reduction of mild to moderate pain, fever, inflammation and stiffness caused by conditions such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, gout, ankylosing spondylitis, injury (like fractures), menstrual cramps, tendonitis, bursitis, and the treatment of primary dysmenorrhea.

Acetaminophen (Paracetamol) - Tylenol, Non-aspirin pain relievers
is a common analgesic and antipyretic drug that is used for the relief of fever, headaches, and other minor aches and pains. Paracetamol is also useful in managing more severe pain, allowing lower dosages of additional non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) or opioid analgesics to be used, thereby minimizing overall side-effects.

NORML54601
08-30-07, 02:31 PM
Take a swig of alcohol and actually hold it on the tooth as long as you can stand it.

Jericho
08-30-07, 02:42 PM
Yeah, tie a strong to a doorknob

I think the end result should look like this

http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/phd/PHD291/59251.JPG

Bronkster
08-30-07, 02:54 PM
http://boles.com/called/sw357.jpg
Is that for the toothache or for Vibiana's gross story?

yojimbo44
08-30-07, 03:07 PM
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/elan1337/american-history-x-curb-job.gif

tommy28
08-30-07, 03:08 PM
Aleve.

I've also heard a Red Sox sweep could ease some mild discomfort...:D ;)

Take 2 Aleve and I guarantee it will be gone.

Quake1028
08-30-07, 03:16 PM
Well the Tylenol with Codeine thankfully got me through the night. The dentist gave me antibiotics and Vicodin today :up:. Have the root canal scheduled for next Friday.

dom56
08-30-07, 03:31 PM
I had a toothache a few months ago and I was in agony in pain. I did a search on google to find some relief and found that if you take a glass of water mix with two table spoons of baking soda, take a sip and swirl it around your mouth for a few seconds then spit it out and repeat the pain well go away. Tried that and a few hours the pain started to go down and I was able to sleep that night. Next morning my tooth wasn't that painful, so you might tried that remedy but be warned the taste is terrible.

TomOpus
08-30-07, 07:21 PM
Well the Tylenol with Codeine thankfully got me through the night. The dentist gave me antibiotics and Vicodin today :up:. Have the root canal scheduled for next Friday.Good to hear you got a little relief before the dentist.

Mine hit hard (my jaw had started to swell) while at the very first home game for the Padres at the new Petco Park. Needless to say, I wanted to stay as long as I could stand it. Big problem I had was the next day was a Sunday. I found an emergency dentist (according to him, the only one is San Diego). I met him at his office and he fixed me up. I think I had to pay an extra $80 since it was Sunday... but I didn't care.

ernestrp
08-30-07, 08:22 PM
If you dont survive the root canal, can I have your Dvd's?

-popcorn-

porieux
08-30-07, 09:44 PM
Hydrogen Peroxide was the correct answer, which apparently nobody gave you in time. Sorry.

Quake1028
08-31-07, 12:04 AM
Hydrogen Peroxide was the correct answer, which apparently nobody gave you in time. Sorry.

Really?

porieux
08-31-07, 12:16 AM
Yep. You want to dilute it with a bit of water unless it's really bad, but it will kill the infection...and the infection causes the pain. You also want to try to make sure there are no food particles in there...that's what causes the infection.

ukywyldcat
08-31-07, 12:24 AM
Ask someone to punch you in the side of the head real hard. That ought to take your mind off the toothache.

prp2
08-31-07, 04:56 PM

I've never in my life heard that, but I'll take it under advisement and file it in my future use repository. Thanks for the tip!

porieux
08-31-07, 06:45 PM
You are welcome. Unfortunately I had to learn the hard way...but it really works and it's safe. Just don't swallow the stuff, obviously.

Jadzia
08-31-07, 10:31 PM
Do you have any whole cloves? Try chewing on one and press it on the bad tooth.

I just suffered from a long tooth-ache agony. I kept having on & off again toothaches. The pain was on my right side, but varied between the top & bottom. I went to my regular dentist and he thought it might be a bottom molar that had a filling too close to the root. He wanted to schedule a root canal for that week but I was about to go out of town for a week on a business trip so I decided to put it off. I was fine for a little while but when I was away on my trip, the toothache got even worse and I was in excucriating pain. I came home and my regular dentist was on vacation, so we called around and found someone who could take me in asap. This dentist tapped around on all my teeth to verify which was the bad one and when he hit one on top, I yelped in pain. I sat there and cried for about 10 minutes, I had been suffering in pain for so long and that was just the worst. I had not been in that much pain since childbirth. But it is a good thing I went to another dentist and he did that because otherwise I would have gotten a root canal on the wrong tooth!

Ever since I got the root canal it has been such a relief. I used to have sensitivity on that side for several years and now it is completely gone. It is so nice to not have to worry about eating something cold on that side of my mouth for a change.

xfilefanfreak
08-31-07, 11:03 PM
u kill me that was so dam funny

namja
09-01-07, 12:30 AM
Well the Tylenol with Codeine thankfully got me through the night. The dentist gave me antibiotics and Vicodin today :up:. Have the root canal scheduled for next Friday.
Typically, if it's pain associated with needing a root canal treatment, then ice would have helped a lot (and several people gave you this helpful advice). The reason ice works is as follows:

When there is an infection inside the tooth, the bacteria from the infection release gas. The released gas is trapped inside the tooth with no way of escaping, thus increasing pressure inside the tooth. The nerves of your infected tooth translates this increased pressure as pain. When you put ice next to the infected tooth, the decrease in temperature decreases the pressure of the gas within (if you remember from Chemistry, given constant volume, pressure and temperature are directly related), and that should relieve a lot of the pain.

When you get the root canal treatment done, the dentist will disinfect the tooth and remove the nerves from the root canals of your infected tooth, so you should no longer have feelings from that tooth.

Next time you feel that most horrendous pain, try putting an ice cube next to the throbbing tooth. It may just do the trick. Of course T3 (Tylenol with Codeine) is a pretty good solution too.

porieux
09-01-07, 01:50 AM
He said he had a cracked tooth though, not necessarily the same situation.
If stuff can get in and out, then the H202 is the way to go and ice will hurt like crazy ;)

prp2
09-01-07, 02:03 AM
All this talk has got me thinking that I need to make an appt with my dentist at some point soon. Actually, a dentist, I don't have one yet as I only got dental insurance earlier in the year but have yet to actually pick someone.

Heat
09-01-07, 09:53 PM
Typically, if it's pain associated with needing a root canal treatment, then ice would have helped a lot (and several people gave you this helpful advice)...
Yep, ice or ice water will do the trick.

But a week to get a root canal in a tooth that is very painful? That's something that should be done that day or the next - you may want to call around to other endodontists, or to dentists who do their own root canals (some general practitioners do root canals themselves, others will refer you to endodontists).

namja
09-01-07, 11:24 PM
He said he had a cracked tooth though, not necessarily the same situation.
That's true. If it's not a "typical" infection that requires a root canal treatment, then ice may not do the trick.

Nothing beats a trip to the dentist though. Good thing I have dozens of dentist friends (yes, dozens :) ).

NotThatGuy
09-01-07, 11:39 PM
http://www.endodovgan.com/images/cocaine-toothache.gif
Yup...that's what I thought of too.

-p

Quake1028
09-04-07, 12:39 AM
Yep, ice or ice water will do the trick.

But a week to get a root canal in a tooth that is very painful? That's something that should be done that day or the next - you may want to call around to other endodontists, or to dentists who do their own root canals (some general practitioners do root canals themselves, others will refer you to endodontists).

I could have had it done that day, but was going out of town for the weekend. The first appt this week due to the shortened week is Friday.

DVD Polizei
09-04-07, 01:23 AM
You have a hell of a pain threshold. :up:

Quake1028
09-04-07, 02:05 AM
You have a hell of a pain threshold. :up:

Not really :(. The Vicodin and antibiotic have helped quite a bit, I have only been in pain a few times since Thursday, and never for long.